Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:51 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Finally Figured out sight BL-22

Guy's as I shoot Red Dots more and more I have been trying to figure a way not to drill or tap my BL-22 and or my 1955 Marlin for scopes or Red Dots. My 1955 Marlin will just stay with the peep sights.

On my Browning BL-22 I wanted to be able to use a scope or Red Dot and also be able to quickly remove it and also be able to use the peep sights. I had a Primary arms Red Dot that I was not using. It had a Allen head bolt that it uses to keep it tight on the picatinny rail. The Browning being a rimfire scope rail that would not work. I ended up taking the screw out of the primary arms and putting a finger tightening screw in it. Took some filling and drilling on the Red Dot base but finally got it in and working. I had bought some UTG metal reducers that will reduce a picatinny size scope ring down to a 11mm or 3/8" rimfire rail mount. Used one of them that is easily held on to the Primary Arms Red Dot when removed to mount the sight.

Very happy with the result. Compact for that little rifle and does not make the rifle look to ugly. it will make this rifle even more fun than it already is to shoot.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:19 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I just used the same UTG Picatinny to 3/8” Dovetail adapter to mount a Fastfire dot to my Nylon 66.
I had tried to do a peep set up on it, but it has a screw on ramp front sight that was way too low to use with a peep.

I had to cut a rounded channel in the bottom of the UTG adapter as the top of my Nylon 66 is humped between the scope dovetails.

I’m happy with the Skinner for now on my BL 22, but if I want to go red dot in the future, I have an extra adapter. The UTG adapters come in a 2 pack and only one is needed for a dot sight.

I like how low you can mount a Picatinny based sight with these adapters.
That PA sight looks good on there, jstanfield !
Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks sandog,

Appreciate it. I have one left over also. They are a great way to mount the sights. I also have a couple that were made from Delrin Plastic, they work but not near as good as the UTG's.

I eyed a Nylon 66 at my LGS for a long while. That is a gun that is on my wish list but seems I always need something else when it comes time. The nylon 66 was the very first rifle my father ever bought me when I was about 8 to 10 yrs. old. Want one again, it was a great rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I like Primary Arms stuff, best bang for your buck ! I have one of their 3x prism scopes on my x39 AR and it is pretty awesome for $289.
I was thinking of getting one of their Micro sights for the Rem 66.
But for now I have one of my Fastfires on it. The PA is half the price of the FF, something to consider.

Here is what the FF looks like on the Nylon 66, pretty compact.
A FastFire would look really nice on the dainty BL-22, wouldn't it ?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:35 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, yeah.....

Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I remember that pic from a thread I did on 1911 forum about the BL-22.
Great Pic !
I told myself I was going to have the same set up one day, I just did it on the Nylon 66 first.
These UTG adapters are great, gets the dot as low as can be:
Old 10-06-2019, 11:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Me too! I like red dots, I just like scopes better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1196AF7D-7274-4BA7-8B8A-4DF4F13845C0.jpg (498.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-06-2019, 11:51 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Vortex Venom that is being saved for my S&W Model 41 due in to the LGS tomorrow. So that is why the BL-22 got this dot. It was not being used. Those red dots look great on the 66 and the BL-22. If I am not satisfied with the Vortex on the Model41 it may end up on the BL, because I usually like a tube type red dot best.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On rifles the tubes on pistols the smaller the better.imho. I think it looks fine, , although a barrel mount would be more tactical
Old 10-07-2019, 08:25 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'm just the opposite. As much as I like the small "T.V. screen" micro dots like the FastFire and Venom, I couldn't make it work on a handgun.
On a long gun, you have your cheek on the stock to position your face the same every time so when you shoulder the gun you're looking right thru the center of the screen, and can pick up the dot instantly.

When I tried the FF on my Ruger MK IV pistol, I'd raise the gun up and have to fiddle around to find the dot. Having the pistol canted one way or the other just slightly made the dot not visible right away.
I tried this cheap Tasco ($30 at Walmart) on the MK IV, and now I can raise the pistol and be looking right at the dot. So I like a tube style sight on a handgun, even though this one looks too big.

On a carbine, you can get away with a larger dot that doesn't look ridiculous, but I like the little Fastfire on those too. I have Fastfires on all 3 of my Mini-30s.

If I were to put a scope on a tiny little receiver like a BL-22 or SA-22, it would have to be a pretty small scope like the Gru-Bee.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have tube type (Millett SP-1) on all my Pistols/Revolvers. I tried the Vortex Venom on one of my revolvers and did not care for it. Not very accurate for me. I have scope on one rifle that I own and now this BL-22 has a Red Dot. All others are peep sights.

I am going to try the Vortex Venom on this Model 41 S&W and see if it works better. I think I will give it more time and see. If not a tube will go on the Model 41 also. I hope the Venom works out for weight. That S&W 41 is a heavy pistol and shooting everything off hand I don't want to make that pistol heavier.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yes, sometimes we have to try to balance things out. The MK IV Lite pictured above was so feather light, that some added weight was welcome. The comp that's threaded on and the dot help make it steadier.
Going with the Volquartsen trigger kit helped too, dropped the trigger pull almost 4 pounds.