Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)

This thread sparks a memory in which the number of squirrels taken is only secondary. 5 or 6 years ago I decided to go squirrel hunting after work. I am lucky in that I can hunt squirrels in about 1,000 privately owned acres just outside my front and back doors. My Lab Named Rosie knew whenever I had a rifle in my hand, that I was either going to the farm to shoot (in which case she got to go) or that I was leaving her for awhile. While hunting within about a half mile from the house in any direction, that dog would know it. She had terrible separation anxiety and she would whine and cry for an hour. I could hear this as I was hunting and it would drive me half crazy.

This time I decided to take Rosie Dog on her first big squirrel hunt. I thought to myself; heck, maybe I could teach her to retrieve squirrels. In the woods, Rosie was a terror. She would run wild, range out about 50 yards, raise all kinds of heck and then haul butt back to me at breakneck speed just to make sure I was safe or wasn't lost or who knows what else. I've heard buck deer fighting with horns thrashing that didn't make as much noise as Rosie Dog. This continued for a little over an hour. What few Squirrels I actually saw were running for their lives. I tried my best to not be mad and just hope for one chance at a deaf and dumb squirrel so preoccupied in a hickory tree that it was oblivious to the mayhem below. No such squirrel existed. I finally gave up and took up a temporary seat on the ground and leaned back against a small Red Oak. I probably dozed off for a few minutes and was awaken when Rosie came over and laid down next to me for a little rest. After all, scaring every squirrel in 2 square miles is hard work; even for a dog. Within 2 minutes Rosie was snoring. By now it was around 7:30 pm with nightfall coming in less than an hour and "too dark to hunt" about 45 minutes out.

Rather than try to get up and keep hunting, I decided I would just nap for a few minutes with old Rosie Dog and then head back home empty-handed. That didn't bother me much. I'm not really a meat hunter. I only take head shots and most of mine are 50 yards or more. Our trees are tall and I don't get many 25 yard shots,so getting 3 squirrels in a 2 hour hunt is pretty good for me. It's also very satisfying. About 15 or 20 minutes into my nap, I woke up to Rosie still snoring away. I was just about to rally for the short walk home, when I spied a gray in a Shagbark that was within range of my Anschutz 1502 Mach2. I snuck behind my napping tree and started to dial in on the squirrel, when I caught a glimpse of another one in the same tree. Multiple grays in any hickory tree as you guys know is standard operating procedure. Squirrel #1 was a fantastic 60 yard head shot. After the shot and the thump of the squirrel hitting the ground, Rosie Dog wakes up, looks at me and yawns as if to say"nice shot Dad, wake me up when you are ready to go home". I couldn't believe it. I was going to get a second shot off if I played my cards right. As I was working on tracking squirrel #2 for a clear shot,other squirrels in the same tree became apparent. In the course of the next 15 minutes, I had 4 more squirrels down with various sections of their heads missing. After going 5 for 5 (an Indiana limit) I started flipping my scope caps down,removed the magazine and so forth. Rosie is watching this and decides to get up and survey the situation. The squirrel retrieving was done by me, but under Rosie's close supervision. It was an easy task. Rosie was instrumental in navigating back home.

Rosie's gone now, but she's buried right behind my shooting bench at the farm where she loved to lay down while myself and fiends would shoot for hours at a time. In the end, it's really not about the numbers to me. It 's about the chance to be out there with a fine rifle slinking around.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Nice write up Vert!!!!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM
JAMES WHITTEN

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Best post on this thread Vert!!!!
James
Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great story Vert. I really enjoyed reading it.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Thanks guys. The loss of Rosie still brings tears to my eyes 5 years after her passing.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice Vert. Dogs sure make for close buddies.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Dogs are God's greatest gift to us and I have a couple too that left a hole in my heart.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrelmageddon at the wood pile

I always keep the population of ground squirrel down on our place but I hadn't shot any this spring. I came home one day in Late May or Early June and there were 7 or 8 running around the house to hide, jumping on the porch scattering every which way so I declared WAR! Uncontrolled they will become like an army of scavengers creating holes everywhere, undermine concrete foundations, create holes in pastures and destroy crops. It took over a dozen near the house within a week. I also started taking walks with my 17 to thin the local population in the area. We have neighbors with Almonds and ground squirrel will decimate an Almond crop if you don't try to control them. They are a pest species with no limit. One neighbor had been gassing the holes but I think the squirrels just laughed and went out another hole where nobody was looking. Anyways I have a firewood pile along our common fence line. Cover + Food = Squirrel Paradise!!!!! A wood or rubble pile will concentrate the ground squirrels in a small area and give them something to climb on to look out over the area and some protection from natural predators. Big mistake! One evening I went out and there were squirrel everywhere around the wood pile. In the orchard, in the wood pile, in the pasture....everywhere. So what was a man to do??? I took a braced position and my Ruger 17 started ringing out. Thwack, Crack, Crunch, Boom. Every time I hit one another seemed to pop up between the logs or be heading for the pile for protection. It was a real life shooting gallery! I lost count somewhere around 12 but I think the actual number was higher as I went through a couple of mags. In the days that followed I killed at least 10 more along that fence line but no day could ever match Squirrelmageddon at the wood pile.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Two that I can recall for sure, possibly three. More than one per tree in uncommon here in AZ.

SureShot
Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 PM
280REM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have killed the limit (6) out of the same tree numerous times but the most I have ever seen in a tree was probably around 20. I was easing through the woods one morning when I heard what sounded like a light rain. Sun was out and I thought "what the hell". I finally slipped into position under a big Black Gum tree and could not believe my eyes. The tree was crawling with squirrels. I dropped 6 fairly quick and watched the chaos as the rest made an escape. Counted 8 go out on a big limb down low and jump into a nearby oak. There were several more hitting the ground and jumping out of other limbs so 20 was a conservative estimate. Been a long time ago and haven't seen anything like that since.

John

Last edited by 280REM; 08-23-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Misidentification
Old 08-22-2019, 09:03 PM
armprairie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My record- 11 squirrels from one tree

When I was about fifteen Carl Washburn at 4 Mile store wanted me to try out the new Alcan shotgun shells. They were paper hulled. I went out that afternoon and found myself beside an old hickory that was out from the other trees a ways. It was connected to the rest of the woods by a single branch. There was one way in and one way out. As the shooting started it became like a shooting gallery, and I kept the old JC Higgins pump shucking fast, stuffing new shells in the tube as opportunity arose. When the shooting stopped I found eleven squirrels under that branch, all shot in less than a minute.
Well I took my report back to Carl, telling him what a fine product the Alcan shells were, having killed eleven squirrels in less than a minute. I expected him to be pleased. But for some reason he got kind of a sick look on his face. The same look he gave me when I told him a lot of things in those days. I couldn't figure out why then, but I have since.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM
citygrasshopper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love was in the air

5 is my best. Hunting in a swamp came across a Hickory tree with a Sow squirrel in heat. Fox squirrels. 3 blacks and a red (the Sow) was picking them up when I heard another one bark, gray squirrel, he went home with me too.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:40 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most

Four out of one tree at the same time is the most. Last year on opening day using the 17 Mach2. Got one more out of the same tree the next day. Four years earlier using 17 WSM I also got four out of a hickory on opening day. I cannot recall ever doing better than that at one time.

Irish
Old 08-24-2019, 01:04 PM
22 man

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
So today I went to a place that at least two maybe three times a year I kill the MO limit of 10 out of a big scaley bark hickory, I slipped in at first light and not one single squirrel in the tree or area, off in a distance I hear a hickory nut drop and away I go. I found where the sound had came from a Pig Nut Hickory and the limbs were moving like a wind storm was moving thur

Pig Nut Tree by ivan robison, on Flickr

Found a good tree to rest against and went to work I had a big black oak behind me to my left that was the escape tree as the Pig Nut tree was up against a creek, I went to work and this is what it looked like when I walked up to the tree how many can you see???

How Many do you see - Copy by ivan robison, on Flickr

Here is a picture with them all piled up

Piled Up - Copy by ivan robison, on Flickr

For those of you who have been here to hunt with me know this is not that hard to do here in my woods.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:56 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dang 22 man! That little Marlin got a work out this morning! Sure wish it was a little cooler here, I'd like to go out and do some hunting. Keep up the good work!

Mac