Ultimate Squirrel Rifle - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The Kimber of Oregon Custom Classic (top) is my ultimate.

But I have been using this one for years, now. More of a challenge.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Hey Hanshi, tell me about your flinter.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM
JAMES WHITTEN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I hope the Jewell works out and fixes the ignition problem. FWIW, years ago, Melvin told me that, if I wanted the Jewell in the rimfire action I had just ordered from him, it would have to be the one with the bottom-mounted safety, as the Timney, with the conventional tang safety, was specially made for his actions, but he retracted that statement the last time we spoke, so I don't know what to say.

I've recently spoken with Melvin twice, actually, about a week ago and two weeks ago, regarding having a single-shot NULA .22 Hornet made. As usual, during the first conversation, he was about as nice, cordial, and helpful as anyone could be, and, although he still needed to check his inventory of receiver blanks, he indicated a 4-5 month delivery. When I called him back about his receiver blank availability, after waiting the 4-5 days he requested, it was like Jekyll and Hyde: he was short, cantankerous, and seemed unwilling to offer any predictions on delivery. I had also asked about the possibility of acquiring a barrel action, instead of a full-blown rifle, to which he had been hesitant but moderately receptive, but this time, just a stern "No!" In his defense, he has apparently just lost a 20-year veteran employee to a heart disability and was likely feeling overwhelmed. I think that fact may be the biggest area of concern for him, and for us.

In the meantime, in a Speak-of-the-Devil moment, I happened upon...can you believe this...an older ULA barreled action in, you guessed it, .22 Hornet!! Should have it next week, along with a Bix n' Andy Marksman trigger

Again, the Rifle Gods seem to be smiling upon me.

TBR
I hope it does as well. I knew after looking at the rifle a top right safety would work. I have no idea why he would state that??Speaking of loosing the long time employee, he told me in the summer of 2017 his guy QUIT because his wife was a lotto winner in some form!! it was supposedly his paint guy??Good luck with the hornet!!
I called this evening for a update but no answer..
James
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Tgilmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Squirrel guns

I think the perfect squirrel gun could be a very different thing in different areas. Here in Missouri I start hunting squirrels in late July when they start eating walnuts and pig nuts. At that time most shots are 15-25 yards with multiple targets in a single tree. And they are very wild at this time. For that reason I use a CZ452 cut to 16-1/4" and wearing a Gemtech can. Subsonic ammo. with Circassian walnut and a 2# trigger. I HATE the CZ trigger arrangement. But this rig is Awesome for the purpose. By October the squirrels are scattered and largely eating acorns. The leaves are off and shots might stretch to 50 yards. That's where my ULA 22 with HV HP ammo comes in. Light, accurate, Jewel trigger at 2# . The only thing that could improve it would be to make it an HM2. (The perfect all around squirrel round). I also use a very nice 541s and Cooper 57m hm2 during this time. After deer season in mid November thru mid Febuary the squirrels are on the ground and fairly oblivious to gunfire. Also I never go to the woods during this time without a predator call. So I need a rifle that will not explode squirrels but still take on long shots( up to 125 yards), coons, and coyotes. For that reason I mostly use a McMillan stocked, Lilja barreled, Sako Quad 17hmr with 20grain XTP loads. I have many rifles, and try to shoot them all.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
That is the problem I have with the Vudoo. That darned suitcase hanging underneath they call a magazine just isn't what I prefer to carry. I would much rather carry a 75 Sporter, or my 541S or some other clean looking, trim, attractive sporter than something that looks more like it should be carried into a war zone...
However, I have heard the Vudoo's are very accurate and well built. If they come up with a flush magazine I might be swayed to give one a try....
Now, if the bugs I keep hearing about with the NULA ever get worked out, that would be right up there on my wish list with a Cooper....

Bob
Vudoo now has a single shot adapter.

T.S.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 AM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Vudoo must be having internet troubles. Can'st get anything but the home page to load.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Crow Feather
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I hope the Jewell works out and fixes the ignition problem. FWIW, years ago, Melvin told me that, if I wanted the Jewell in the rimfire action I had just ordered from him, it would have to be the one with the bottom-mounted safety, as the Timney, with the conventional tang safety, was specially made for his actions, but he retracted that statement the last time we spoke, so I don't know what to say.

I've recently spoken with Melvin twice, actually, about a week ago and two weeks ago, regarding having a single-shot NULA .22 Hornet made. As usual, during the first conversation, he was about as nice, cordial, and helpful as anyone could be, and, although he still needed to check his inventory of receiver blanks, he indicated a 4-5 month delivery. When I called him back about his receiver blank availability, after waiting the 4-5 days he requested, it was like Jekyll and Hyde: he was short, cantankerous, and seemed unwilling to offer any predictions on delivery. I had also asked about the possibility of acquiring a barrel action, instead of a full-blown rifle, to which he had been hesitant but moderately receptive, but this time, just a stern "No!" In his defense, he has apparently just lost a 20-year veteran employee to a heart disability and was likely feeling overwhelmed. I think that fact may be the biggest area of concern for him, and for us.

In the meantime, in a Speak-of-the-Devil moment, I happened upon...can you believe this...an older ULA barreled action in, you guessed it, .22 Hornet!! Should have it next week, along with a Bix n' Andy Marksman trigger

Again, the Rifle Gods seem to be smiling upon me.

TBR
I used a Dewey rod with brass jag and patches for many years to clean my Anschutz match rifles. We shot eight 40-shot matches on a weekend and I cleaned after each match. Never had a problem.
Crow Feather
Crow Feather
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa22Rimfire View Post
Update, I recently added a Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel 17HM2 to my list of squirrel rifles. I did some research and found that Savage is the only manufacturer still making 17HM2 rifles. I had to order the rifle from a LGS and looked around and found some Hornady ammo. Not as common as HMR or 22 but I was able to find some at a couple LGS. I mounted a new Leupold VX Freedom 2x7 Rimfire MOA scope on it. I have not shot it yet but looking forward to doing so. I like the Accu-Trigger, it breaks at 2.5 pounds exactly with NO creep. I think it will make a great squirrel rifle. Anybody else here own a Mark II 17HM2 they would care to comment on or about?
I would be leery of that Hornady MII ammo, PA22rimfire. If you have a problem with accuracy or case splitting I would blame it on the ammo first. But, maybe you got a new lot and maybe they have updated. The first lots of Hornady MII ammo I used wouldn't hold an inch at 50 yd and split a lot of the cases. Some of the CCI ammo I used was good and some wasn't. All of the Ely ammo in the same rifle was pinpoint accurate and never malfunctioned in any way. Just saying......
Crow Feather
Old 02-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Feather View Post
I would be leery of that Hornady MII ammo, PA22rimfire. If you have a problem with accuracy or case splitting I would blame it on the ammo first. But, maybe you got a new lot and maybe they have updated. The first lots of Hornady MII ammo I used wouldn't hold an inch at 50 yd and split a lot of the cases. Some of the CCI ammo I used was good and some wasn't. All of the Ely ammo in the same rifle was pinpoint accurate and never malfunctioned in any way. Just saying......
Crow Feather
Thanks for the info. I just took it to the range for the first time this afternoon. After zeroing it I shot some 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I averaged .861 for the 5 groups. I was hoping for a bit better but had one that was just over an inch at 1.15. The smallest I could manage was .600. I cleaned the barrel as soon as I got home as I shot about 75 rounds total. She is ready for the next go round. I did have one split neck and it FTE. Other than that the rounds functioned perfectly. I am hoping it just needs to be broken in and shot a bit.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa22Rimfire View Post
Thanks for the info. I just took it to the range for the first time this afternoon. After zeroing it I shot some 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I averaged .861 for the 5 groups. I was hoping for a bit better but had one that was just over an inch at 1.15. The smallest I could manage was .600. I cleaned the barrel as soon as I got home as I shot about 75 rounds total. She is ready for the next go round. I did have one split neck and it FTE. Other than that the rounds functioned perfectly. I am hoping it just needs to be broken in and shot a bit.
I figured Hornady would eventually get it ironed out. Sounds like yours is shooting much better than their original stuff. You'll want to try some others if you get the chance.
Crow Feather
Old 02-19-2019, 10:35 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After many decades of searching for the holy grail of squirrel rifles, namely the USR, it has occurred to me that defining the USR is sort of like trying to pin down a bead of mercury. Not only does it keep moving about as it is almost pinned, it also changes shape.
But, it is not an illusion. It is a reality and it is entirely possible to come into possession of a USR, either by design or by luck, and when it happens your joy will be great.... for a while. Just don't expect it to last forever. The USR is as evolving as a wisp of smoke and, believe it or not, you will at some point in time decide to replace it.
It probably won't be a logical decision, but then, emotional decisions can completely overpower logic.
At that point your search for the USR will start all over again.
That might not be a bad thing because, after all, the search feeds our desire and keeps us going to gun shows, gun stores, gun catalogs, gun magazines, and gun web sites. We want to find that ultimate prize and claim it just before someone else does.
And whenever you and you buddies are talking about great guns you have owned you can get that wistful look in your eye and utter the statement we all know so well, "Man, I'd like to have that gun back now."
Crow Feather
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM
OLEHUNTER456
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sq gun

mine is a cz scout in custom skeletonized stock . some where on this forum there are pics.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Feather View Post
"Man, I'd like to have that gun back now."
Crow Feather
I'd like to have dollar for every time I've said that!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
I'd like to have dollar for every time I've said that!
Sarge, I think I had you in mind when I wrote that. You and maybe Reb.
Crow Feather
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Tikka

New T1X in HMR is looking more and more like my long range USR. English sparrows at 50 yds are eminently doable. Squirrel heads at 100 are gonna be possible.