Recommendations: turning KIDD thumb hole supergrade into NRL 22 chassis rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:22 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Recommendations: turning KIDD thumb hole supergrade into NRL 22 chassis rifle

Looking for your recommendations:

- I have my original KIDD supergrade in a nice laminate thumb hole stock. I love the rifle, it was my first KIDD. But, the thumb hole stock is not conducive to the shooting I do now, and certainly not good for NRL 22 style shooting.

So, looking for a chassis to put it in to set up for NRL22. My only requirements are it needs t be a chassis and be able to use the KIDD rear tang. The two front runner options are:

1) The new KRG Bravo 10/22 chassis which should be out soon. The Bravo is proven and should work great.

2) The KIDD Chassis with a XLR TR-2 Buttstock and Bravo Company BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 0

Other options I like, but do not take the KIDD rear tang are: McRees, PDC Chassis and the Accurate Rifle System chassis.

So what are your thoughts on my two front runner options or others I may not be thinking of?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
It's a Kidd Supergrade, you might as well put it in a Kidd chassis. JMHO.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's a Kidd Supergrade, you might as well put it in a Kidd chassis. JMHO.

He does have the KIDD chassis, Mr. Nick, an all-black build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps he is wanting a much elongated forearm.

The KIDD is nice but the front section is just too short.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 PM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Perhaps he is wanting a much elongated forearm.

The KIDD is nice but the front section is just too short.
Rick, you are correct, the KIDD chassis is perfect for my rimfire steel challenge supergrade, but for the NRL22 version I agree it is just to short. That is why I am leaning more towards the KRG Bravo.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Between the first two would be the bravo.

Have you called around to see how much it would cost to have the rear tang inletted?

A less expensive chassis that comes in multiple parts that makes it easier and cheaper to %%%% would be the PMACA chassis. They have long handguard a available made from CF if you need.

I have one and itís been great. I will say I like the looks and features of the PDC chassis and the accurate rifle systems chassis better but the PMACA was quite a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 03:25 AM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Rick, you are correct, the KIDD chassis is perfect for my rimfire steel challenge supergrade, but for the NRL22 version I agree it is just to short. That is why I am leaning more towards the KRG Bravo.
I have used a PMACA longnose with rear tang for TAC style matches, but would like a longer fore-end which is also the same issue with the KIDD chassis. Could go with the PMACA carbon fiber tube option, but I didn't like that set up. It did what I needed it to for tac matches under the clock. I use a magpul gen 3 PRS rear stock, depending on the hand grip used it will pinch your webbing between thumb and fingers. I use a Ergo soft grip, a hard A2 style grip hurt to use.

KRG makes great products, I am looking forward to their 10/22 Bravo chassis. I really can't come up with any negatives about it as it hasn't released yet. I have had the CZ455 x-ray and R700 Bravo, great workhorses.

Any reason you are excluding the victor co Titan stock? It now has LOP adjustability and has a pretty decent cheek height system. Have to use their rear tang, not KIDD's. Much longer fore end than the KIDD or PMACA. As a bonus it has both QD cups and sling studs.

Magpul X22 stock is both LOP and cheek adjustable as well.
EDIT ADD: does not come with rear tang cutout, unavailable from KIDD except as a complete rifle. They dont sell a rear inletted tang stock separately

Manners is also coming out with a 10/22 stock for 2020:
Quote:
MCS-CS 10/22 Retail $759.00
The MCS-CS 10-22 was designed with the same built-in features as the standard MCS-CS. A compact platform and a quickly deployable butt system make it the perfect stowable truck gun. An added feature of the CS 10-22 is a smaller than standard grip. This grip, along with an lop of 10.25" to 13.5",makes it ideal for the youth shooter. Designed for the factory 10-22 and most after-market custom actions.
PMACA longnose and magpul

victor stock

For PRS/NRL/TAc matches I've pretty much given up on the semi-auto guns and gone back to using a bolt action as I get slightly more points on average then with a semi. Semi autos are awesome when they run reliably, I just get tired of having the odd occasional failure of some sort right in the middle of the match that eats up a lot of time to clear. I generally have less failures with a bolt gun. Took a few years to learn to operate the bolt with less disruption of NPOA compared to a semi, but it is a great skillset to have.

Last edited by wolfshoon; 03-28-2020 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:45 PM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
wolfshoon, thanks for your post and all the info. I have a PMACA on my ruger charger and really like it, but not right for this set up. On the Victor, I read it is a great stock, but I cannot bring myself to really like the look...there is just something I do not like about it.

Based on another thread going in this same section, I found out that both the PDC Custom and Accurate Rifle System chassis are not set up for the rear tang option so they have vaulted to the top. Decisions, decisions.......
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Update...decision made...going with the Accurate Rifle System. Had another great chat with Joe today and he sent me a bunch of pictures of his chassis with the KIDD rear tang inlet, it looks awesome. He also texted me pictures of his new aluminum pistol grip which I plan to use instead of the normal plastic AR-15 style. It was going out for anodizing today and I should have it in a week or so.

Only decision left is how to mount my Harris bipod. Need to figure out if I go with the Accurate Rifle System sliding bipod mount which use the holes on the side, or go with a ARCA mount which the chassis is also set for. Have some time to think about that, but open to recommendations if anyone has any.