Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TOZ99 - KABOOM ( OK, kaboom since it's a .22LR )

708 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ThePenguinKnight 
#1 ·
I got my new TOZ 99 last week, and couldn't wait to get it to the range. It seemed OK on accuracy, but I had mixed results with mechanical operation.

I probably put 200 or so rounds through it, but I had 4 instances where there was a loud report when I pulled the trigger, along with visible smoke and the feeling of "wind in my face" from the gas, and I would find the case of the cartridge ruptured. The last one of the "big bangs" left the entire cartridge forward of the rim still in the chamber.

Anyone else encountered this? I'm not looking forward to shooting it anymore.

This happened with three different brands of ammo: CCI Green tag, Federal match ( the stuff WalMart sells with about 300-400 rounds ), and with Federal hollowpoints.

Is it firing with a partially open bolt or something?

#2 ·
Case Head Separation

I got my new TOZ 99 last week ....
Is it firing with a partially open bolt or something?
Hard to say,

Could be excessive headspace.

Or, the firing pin being released
before the bolt is in full battery.

Whatever the case maybe,
contact the retailer where you bought the rifle.
And, let the dealer know the problem you're experiencing.

You shouldn't continue to fire the rifle until a gunsmith examines it.

G
#3 ·
It sounds like it is firing out of battery. I have a AKT-98 that was doing the same thing, the bolt wasn't closing all the way before detonation. Mine was an extractor problem, the extractor wasnt letting the bolt completly seat. diff rifles I know.

#4 ·
Guns ... are Guns - Even Artillery

It sounds like it is firing out of battery. I have a AKT-98 that was doing the same thing, the bolt wasn't closing all the way before detonation. Mine was an extractor problem, the extractor wasnt letting the bolt completly seat. diff rifles I know.
But, they all suffer the same mechancial problems.

Sgt911 & frosteemjj:
New guys ... welcome aboard.
It is good to see new names at our forum.

ThePenguinKnight:
Any input on this?

#5 ·
I would guess Sgt911 is correct and it is the firing pin dropping before the bolt is in battery. It could be the headspace, but from your description and what I know of the rifle, I find the other option more likely. On the other hand, I am neither expert nor gunsmith (thought we may change that someday in the future ;) )

First thing I would do is take it back to the guy I bought it from. However, depending on the seller and how you feel about it, it might be wise to get it to a gunsmith and have him/her write out what they find and sign it, then take the gun and the signed sheet to wherever you bought the gun and ask for a replacment or refund.

Most importantly, I would NOT fire the rifle again. If it happened with 3 different brands of ammo, it is almost definitely a problem of some sort with the rifle, and as such poses imminent danger to whoever is firing the rifle and whoever might be nearby.

All that said, welcome to Sgt911 and I'm sorry your gun isn't working, frost :(. Hope you get it sorted quickly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.