Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
41 slide frozen shut, doesn't budge

I'm pretty sure it's just gummed up as the pistol was functioning perfectly when it went into the case. Been a safe queen for at least 5 years if not longer. It was stored with the firing pin down and magazine inserted.

Kroil is going to be my first step, but I also want to ask about immersion if the Kroil can't get to the problem. Would straight mineral spirits or kero work?

Of course the grips will be removed. I have gunsmith screwdrivers, but the specialized S&W ones are on backorder. Don't think I'll need them for grip screws, but ????

Bought it in 1990 barely used, but have never been able to match up the serial# with any list, but it's before the move, the big time CNC, laser etching, etc. Diet has been a steady Wolf MT (SK produced), and will be with nearly 2 cases left.

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, or better yet, actual experience would be most helpful.

Thanks

Wet
Old 06-21-2019, 04:14 PM
ronnieh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Safety stuck?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Domino
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does it have a Wolff recoil sprint in it?

If so, there was a post over at the S&W Forum where Wolff instructions have you place the spring in backwards. The unfinished end of the spring can wedge in between the guide rod and the slide. If that happens you have to beat the pistol open and the spring galls up the guide rod. If that is the case I would send the pistol to S&W or someone that knows what they are doing.

I will try to find the post for you but I know I saw it on the S&W forum.

The wolf springs have a cut end and one that is coiled up "or finished". The finished end of the spring should go forward.

Read this post: It goes into great detail and good read if you run Wolff recoil spring in a M41.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...odel-41-a.html

After reading the above I only use S&W springs

Last edited by Domino; 06-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Did you remove the barrel? That would be where I would start as you can see a lot more of the slide.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 AM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as I can remember the spring is still factory. Never gave me problems and saw no reason to change it. But, after owning it for going on 30 years, memory gets funny.

Don't really use the safety as it's so stiff. Plus, that was the first thing I looked at.

Domino, thanks for the link. I bumped the thread up to really dig into later (I'm a member over there also).

I was just thinking of the complete soak before sending it off to S&W in case it IS just dried gunk in the action (try the easy fixes first), Was wondering just what the best thing to soak it in would be and what the process would entail.

I usually leave the pistol cocked, but this last time decided to drop the hammer before putting it away. It does feel like the safety is engaged, but it is fully down and not even close to the slide notch.

I'm baffled.

Wet
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 AM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As member aprilian has mentioned, have you tried to remove the barrel? That is where I would start.