Remington Model 33

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gmd1950 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Newbie, here.
(Sorry)

I have my Grandfather's Rem. Model 33 .22LR

He got it new in the early 1930s.
'32-34??

He passed it down to me when I was 7 years old in 1977.

I am unable to find any Serial # on the gun and I am aware that SN numbers were not required on these until 1968.

I'd like to pass it on to my Grandson.
I live in CA and he is in TN.

1. Regarding the laws, ownership and tranportation.

2. Gun safety.
Recommended ammo min/max pressure and types

Any advice greatly appreciated.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/remington-model-33-no-serial-number.210801/

https://www.remington.com/firearm-history/model-33

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi and thank you for your advice.
I'm in SoCal and my Grandson is in TN.
He will be 12 in Aug..

In my case, it's the strangest thing.
My Grandpa got the rifle, new, in Klamath Falls OR, when he was 17. He used it as one would use a .22. Following Pearl Harbor, he enlisted into the Army and earned expert scores.
The time he put in with this very gun had prepared him for the military marksmanship training that would come during basic training in '42. The Army put him in the 17th Airborne and later transferred him into the 1497th Engineers. He deployed and fought in Okinawa.

(It pretty much sat in the closet all the time that I knew him and we never got around to going to the range to shoot it. - my assumption is it being out of sight out, of mind.)

About 4-5 years ago, I had taken the rifle to a local gun shop and gunsmith to find out what I could about it. The gunsmith testfired it and said it was in excellent condition.
I seem to recall there being an air of hesitance when I mentioned that I couldn't find a SN on it. My assumptions on their reaction is that they either simply didn't know or had forgotten legal micro-details concerning firearms of this vintage.

The stamps I find is an anchor and CC on the left side of the bore just ahead of the receiver. Directly opposite of that stamp is what appears to be 75 but upside down. The "7" appears to be an imperfect stamp and the "5" appears more pronounced.

Anyone know what that 75 might mean?

#3 ·
I have a 33. It was given to me with a cracked stock and missing the bolt. I looked for 5 years and finally found a bolt that I could afford, then had to go thru a lot of tinkering to get it to work correctly. It would never fire the first time it was triggered and the firing pin snapped, but recock it and it always fired the second time. Turned out to be the ejector being a little proud on the side of the bolt and keeping the ejector from retracting fully into the bolt face.

Then there was the cracked stock, broken at the wrist and crudely repaired with wood screws. Finally found a replacement on eBay and looks much better.

It has fired everything I've put into it but is most consistent with CCI SV. I wouldn't hesitate to fire any SV in it.

#6 ·
Go click on the M40X/M37 part at the top of this Remington section, then click on the "Remington Date of Manufacture" codes and there you will find the key to dating the rifle and possibly the meaning of other various marks. The 75 may be the number of the final assembler of the rifle.

There will be others along who have way more knowledge than I on this matter however.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unless one of you is going to travel, just do it by ffl tx, no big deal. You can ship it to a shop near him for 25-35$, he'll pay a fee to pick it up there.

It's a single shot version of the 34, very accurate rifles. IIRC, the safety operates opposite the modern safeties, forward is safe, rearward is fire. Worth mentioning to him if he's not familiar with it.

No issue with ammo, all 22lr's are low pressure rounds. I plink with Fed 510's in my 22's, all shoot them well, no copper wash that ends up in the barrel. The 33 and 34's have long barrels (25" iirc) and are very quiet. CB shorts and longs through those long barrels make less noise than an air rifle, just saying.

#8 ·
[QUOTE=ffracer

It's a single shot version of the 34, very accurate rifles. IIRC, the safety operates opposite the modern safeties, forward is safe, rearward is fire. Worth mentioning to him if he's not familiar with it.

The Model 33 is a single shot rear cocking 22 and the only safety it has is the notch you can turn the rear cocking piece to the safety notch to not fire until turned back again. The Model 34 I have has the side safety and it has the pull back to fire safety on it. Both are nice rifles and they are accurate but the 34 with peeps is quite a bit better than the 33 with open sights.

#9 ·
Several years ago I was talking with a friend, I'd just recently acquired a Winchester 72a with peep sights and said I wished I had a Remington with similar, not long after he gave me a 33 NRA Junior that needed just a little love. Sweet rifle, great gift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.