BB Gun Ammo Shootout! Quicksilver vs Hornady Black Diamond vs Daisy Match Grade BBs - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB Gun Ammo Shootout! Quicksilver vs Hornady Black Diamond vs Daisy Match Grade BBs

Today I dialed in the sights on a birthday present that my daughter just received a week or two ago. It's a bone stock new Daisy 499 BB gun/rifle. "They say" that to have fantastic accuracy, one needs to use the match grade Daisy/Avanti BBs. Today I went out to see if that's true. I shot at about 10 yards, which is twice as far as the 499 is meant to be awesome at (it's supposed to be the most accurate 5 meter BB gun rifle). I didn't measure this 10 yards. I went to our 25 yard range, and stands were already set up about halfway.

This was done using the "stock" iron sights that come with the 499. I want to try one of the optional front sights, with just the post sticking up, to see if I can be more accurate. As it was, I was basically centering a big circle over a little circle (see the picture of the targets, each little circle was just a tiny bit smaller than the front sight circle).

I got this picture of the optional front sights from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/p/2219053333):
sights.jpg

The setup:
IMG_20200523_122051.jpg

"The suspects":
IMG_20200523_122100.jpg

Results (5 shot groups; those little red dots are 1/2 inch in diameter, smaller than a dime):
IMG_20200523_123758.jpg

Quarters strategically placed for scale:
IMG_20200523_161611.jpg

In my unscientific mind; the Daisy match grade ground shot was the best, followed by the Hornady, followed by the Daisy Quicksilver. I found it interesting that the Quicksilver is also labeled "match grade". I wonder what it takes to earn that moniker? Oh well, I digress.

It was also interesting using the 499 to do this "shootout". It is muzzle-loaded; so you have to drop the BB down the barrel, and listen for the "click" when it hits the magnet at the bottom. I did not wear ear protection for much of the day today, as I was largely alone. That allowed me to listen carefully to each BB slide down the tube.

Why that was interesting, you might ask? Because the BBs fall at different rates. Even among the Daisy match grade BBs... some fell verrrrrrry slowly, some at the "normal rate', and some just a little bit faster. From what I've read; people will painstakingly drop BBs down a barrel, listening for the proper duration, and pick out the best ones for competition use.

The Hornady BBs seemed to fall somewhat quickly compared to the Daisy ground shot... yet still shot with pretty darned good accuracy for me. Again, note my disclaimers of "not super accurate sights", and also "me shooting the rifle". A scope or even the single blade front sight might help me be a little more accurate, who knows, maybe this is as good as I get.

So I'd say that all three were acceptable for fun shooting. With those little red dots on the target being 1/2 inch, I'd say you're going to hit what you're aiming at... provided you're only about 10 yards away. I didn't test farther out, maybe that will be a future test! Also maybe I'll include the Daisy zinc plated premium grade BBs, as those are likely a popular choice.

Have fun! I know I did today. The quiet factor was enjoyable. I had to holler at some birds that landed behind one of my targets!
Old 05-25-2020, 12:59 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is quite respectable shooting and better than I would have expected from a BB gun. Thanks for taking the time to show us, I found it very interesting
Old 05-25-2020, 03:04 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's pretty cool. Thanks for the review.

Half a century later, I'm about 1/4 way through a lifetime+ supply (~100,000) of Daisy BBs that my Dad bought for me on sale at Big 5 back in the 70's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any idea how "Copper Heads" shoot in that gun? I used to get a few small tubes of daisy bbs here and there but mostly I got those big old milk cartons full of crossman bbs. Wore out a 1776 pumper with them. A few cartons of those last awhile. I was always amazed at just how accurate a steel bb could fly at short range! rc
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Any idea how "Copper Heads" shoot in that gun? I used to get a few small tubes of daisy bbs here and there but mostly I got those big old milk cartons full of crossman bbs. Wore out a 1776 pumper with them. A few cartons of those last awhile. I was always amazed at just how accurate a steel bb could fly at short range! rc
I too had the little milk cartons full of copper BBs! They did seem to last forever.

I ordered some off Amazon... $2.67 for 1500 of them!

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Coppe.../dp/B081ZSPJ9Z

Next time I go, I'll try to do a shootout including the cheap Daisy and those copper ones!
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
very interesting thanks for sharing, especially the muzzle loading part.