New SS Convertible - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
New SS Convertible

New to me anyway, it is a 2007 model, stainless with the 5 1/2" barrel.
I have one other Ruger SA Convertible, a Lipsey's Flattop .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

I seem to have got a good one, it has a nice trigger, and when I do my part, and the ammo doesn't produce a flyer, puts them all together. So I'm glad I don't have a chamber or two that throws a round out of the group.
It shoots pretty well with CCI Mini Mags, Golden Bullets and Winchester Super-X 40 grain Magnums.
With Remington C-Bee low velocity and Federal 50 grain Game-Shok Magnums it shoots fantastic.
The only loads I've tried so far that it didn't do well with are RWS HVHP and RWS Subsonic HP.

All groups were from 25 yards rested.

The grips seem to have got some abuse, like maybe the previous owner wore some rings on their hands, lots of scratches on the right side and bottom.
I refinished them and removed the scratches, and slimmed them down so the are not as fat on the bottom.

but the wood is really plain, like a harder version of Balsa wood.
I tried to stain them a dark walnut, but they wanted to stay red. I think maybe they are Birch.

I think stainless revolvers look best with dark grips, stag, light colored wood or ivory don't go well with stainless like they do with a blued gun.
I got some grips on E-Bay coming that have some nice grain:

And another E-Bay score, a left hand Christensen lined Mexican double loop holster, cost was $29 and $4 shipping. I usually have to special order left hand holsters.
This holster certainly cost much more than that when new.

I've been out putting rounds through the new to me SS every day now, they are for sure a rugged, low maintenance and versatile revolver, especially with the option of swapping cylinders.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Excellent open sight shooting! Very nice Single Six. I have a Single Six stainless 5 1/2" bought new in 1999 and have always been very pleased with the accuracy.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:54 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks. I have had a hard time the last 4 or 5 years shooting iron sights, due to older eyes that can't focus on the front sight.
If things are beyond 6 feet away I can still see sharply. And I still can do well with a rifle if it has a peep sight with small aperture.

I had been using my reading glasses lately to see the sights better for shooting groups with the handguns, the sights are sharp but the target is then blurry.
I saw someone talking on another forum about some safety glasses that have a bifocal magnifier both top and bottom.
I ordered a pair off Amazon, they are made by 3M and sell for $12-$14.
My sights, especially the front one, is very sharp now. The target is somewhat out of focus.

When I shot the groups above though, I was using a new pack of targets, those small red bulls just disappeared when viewed thru the 3M glasses. It was hard to get a consistent aiming point. I should have just switched to a 6 o'clock hold, but I didn't want to change part way through the testing.
So I'm surprised I did as well as I did. The Single Six is for sure more accurate than I can hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Thanks. I have had a hard time the last 4 or 5 years shooting iron sights, due to older eyes that can't focus on the front sight.

I had been using my reading glasses lately to see the sights better for shooting groups with the handguns, the sights are sharp but the target is then blurry.
I know all about that! Around 2014 is when I started seeing a dramatic fall off in open sight shooting. I tried reading glasses for while and they helped. At close range I can used the bi-focal part of my glasses and see the front sight well and still get a consistent aiming point on target.

About the only way I know to get rear sight , front sight and target reasonably clear is with an aperture device on my glasses like the Merit device or stick on apertures. I used them to get the fuzzy stars on red dots to look like dots again. I do need a new prescription for sure.

Again , I have been shooting handgun for 33 years and can tell you those groups you posted are quite good for open sight shooting!
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Now that I know which ammo shoots well in the new to me SS (anything but the RWS) I've been going out every day and plinking, shooting golf balls and tin cans.
Someone had brought some potatoes out to the range and about a half dozen were intact, they splatter pretty well when hit !

I was walking a big meadow with my dog, and found an elk shed antler, a smaller 6 point. A Jackrabbit crossed in front of me and stopped about 20 yards away.
( My dog was off a ways ). The Jack was watching my dog, or he would have kept running. I had the Magnum cyinder in and for a second I was tempted to shoot.
Back in my 20's I would have, but now in my old age, unless I am going to eat it I leave it alone.

The SS will be a nice companion to my Browning BL-22 lever.