Scope for Nylon 66 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:24 PM
tommyv
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope for Nylon 66

My old Tasco RF4-15 finally fogged up. Dang thing was only 40+ years old! Looking for suggestions on an economical replacement. Just using it for plinking. Old eyes can't do iron sights anymore. Is a red dot a viable alternative?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Piranha451
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keeping with the feel of your rifle, I would look for a Weaver V22 or something similar that has a 7/8" tube (of course this will be a used item). I feel the newer "22" scopes are too big for a rifle like a Nylon 66. Leupold used to make a 22 RF Special with a 1" tube that was a compact size, but those are going for ~$300. This is just my opinion though.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:22 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had good luck with the fixed 4x32 Simmons 22 mag scope. Usually well under 50 bucks pretty clear for the price, I have one on my glenfield 75 and it hasn't lost zero and I have no issues plinking or popping squirrels with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 10:38 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I can't do regular irons anymore either, but can do well if the rear sight is a peep and the peep has a small aperture.

A red dot is a viable option too.

For a small scope check out the Gru-Bee Wolf Pup, a small 3/4 tube scope modeled after the Redfield Cub.
https://www.grubee.net/products/4x-wolfpup-cph
Old 05-08-2020, 08:23 AM
bblock
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bushnell made a compact 3/4" variable that came with its own mount. The scope could slide fore and aft in the mount and the mount would also have a certain amount of adjustment on the receiver grove. Also this set up will not leave marks on your receiver. I have a couple on my 66s. Will try to post picture later.

Last edited by bblock; 05-08-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
don't discount a small red dot

I don't have any of my 66s scoped, but I would think that a small red dot might work just fine for close range hunting and plinking. I like the irons, even with my aged eyes and failing vision.

If you want a slick small scope setup, check youtube video for Jerry Miculek's Nylon 66 modded scope, requires cutting the front of stock, but Jerry mounts a small scope directly on the barrel to assure perfect alignment and no movement in the mounting.

I think the youtube video title is like Jerry's 5 favorite guns of all time.

Last edited by Ferox34; 05-08-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Magilla26
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
I don't have any of my 66s scoped, but I would think that a small red dot might work just fine for close range hunting and plinking. I like the irons, even with my aged eyes and failing vision.

If you want a slick small scope setup, check youtube video for Jerry Miculek's Nylon 66 modded scope, requires cutting the front of stock, but Jerry mounts a small scope directly on the barrel to assure perfect alignment and no movement in the mounting.

I think the youtube video title is like Jerry's 5 favorite guns of all time.
I have owned Nylon 66's since 1961 and I have never been able to mount a scope that would hold zero from day to day. I could zero it in and shoot all day with no problem but the next day the center would be off by 6" left or right. I think Jerry Miculek is on to something but I would hate to cut any of my stocks.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 AM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I can't do regular irons anymore either, but can do well if the rear sight is a peep and the peep has a small aperture.

A red dot is a viable option too.

For a small scope check out the Gru-Bee Wolf Pup, a small 3/4 tube scope modeled after the Redfield Cub.
https://www.grubee.net/products/4x-wolfpup-cph
Which peep sight is on the Nylon 66?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The peep is a Williams WGRS. The Nylons and other Remingtons have a rounded receiver top where the scope groove is. I had to take a round file and make a concave groove in the bottom of the sight so it would fit the rounded top of the Nylon.
The WGRS secures in the scope groove with a set screw, that set screw will leave a small mark on top of the receiver if you ever decide to remove the WGRS.

You'll need a taller front sight than the factory Sharkfin sight. I used a Williams ramp and then a Fire Sight in the ramps dovetail. The ramp has two screw holes but you'll only be able to use the long front screw under the dovetail, unless you want to drill and tap the barrel for the shallow screw at the back of the ramp.
The long screw is enough to hold the sight securely.

I use a smaller aperture so the front sight is sharp for my 62 year old eyes. If you still have good eyesight you can use any size aperture.
I am amazed how well I can group with the peep, my Nylon has several loads that will shoot dime size groups at 25 yards, and under 3/4" at 50 yards.
It likes RWS HVHP the best, but Mini Mags and Golden Bullets are almost as good.