#2 Weatherby XXII, Anschutz Bolt-Action Version - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:51 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Good for you LW. Those Japanese manufactured T Series Weavers are nicely made. I own a couple crosshair/dot T36's. Wally World does have and/or perhaps a Dollar Store may have Florescent adhesive labeling dots in various sizes, such as 1/2 inch, if the red Sharpie isn't bright enough.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:39 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks NIB, I'm very happy to have found it. If I remember things I read correctly (about these scopes), people said they were able to easily see white dots (w/black outlines) so I can always print new targets without the red. I believe they couldn't see black targets including steel plates, again IIRC? I should find out soon enough as it's supposed to arrive Monday...
Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After getting the Weaver 24X T-series scope this past Monday, I was very indecisive about installing it on this rifle. There were a number of different reasons for this, one was the fact I already had the GS perfectly dialed in for the SK-RM ammo, with another being the long turrets and potential damage inside a very overcrowded safe. The fixed-power T-Series is also extremely sensitive about where your eye is. Trying to look thru it, fine tune the focus, and checking out the super fine cross-hairs/dot - over a target, is nearly impossible without a good cheek-weld. This morning I realized I needed to use my "pistol tri-pod", which is an old camera tri-pod that has a 7.5" x 7.5" 2-by on it, with a lightly padded, slightly smaller, 1-by attached to that. I used one hand to adjust the focus, while using the thumb of the other hand (which was holding the scope to the tri-pod) to keep my head, thus my eye, at the correct distance from the ocular lens. Being able to do everything with the improvised cheek-weld made a huge difference, as it finally gave me the confidence I needed to go ahead and swap scopes. As long as the turret adjustments work as they should, and it holds zero, I think I'm really going to enjoy using this scope. The sad thing is, at the rate I've been going lately, I won't get this rifle back to the range until next spring, yet, I hope I'm mistaken? I'm also starting to regret not getting more than the one case of SK-RM, especially now that I know how freaking accurate this thing is (along with my T-Bolt, and 457-Varmint)!

The "Pistol Tri-Pod":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA_XXII BW_T_Series 24X.jpg (106.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20191015_111334_800x.jpg (177.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 08:13 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice LW.
I honestly like the looks of the mounted T24x40 Weaver over the 5x20x50 GS on your MKXXII Wby/Ann. IMO its front end tube shape/taper and those knurls added to the adjustable objective combine for a sharp looking scope! Is the mount height where you like it? Not that it's too high at all, just wondering how it would be lower? I hope your SK holds out , no telling how long before supplies get back to normal?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:56 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
NIB, Thanks. It's funny you mentioned how it looks. Another part of my indecision was how it'd look installed. I even tried holding the T-24X along side the GS (trying to "block out" the GS in the process) to see how it might look. In the end, I too like the looks of it much better, but possibly for some (additional) different reasons? The GS has more of a (flat) "dark-gray appearance" verses the T's somewhat (50% - 75% ?) closer to a gloss finish, and true dark black color. Also, I've always been slightly put-off by the angled-design of the grip surfaces of the magnification rings on the GS scopes. That said, the GS scopes do look good on a number of different rifles.
You should SEE how the rifle looks with the (4" long) sunshade installed on the scope! The shade goes just past the front end of the stock.
As far as the scope's height (I think the camera angle makes it appear higher than it really is, but...), I was constrained by not having any other (spare) rings to try out, thanks mostly to the raised dovetail design of both of my XXII's. But, I also prefer to shoot (from a bench) with my head up higher than some, or many, mostly due to an old lower-neck injury which can cause lots of pain. I also discovered something else not long ago, my "good headphones" (electronic Howard Leight's with an Mp3/Aux/phone jack) typically interfere with the stock on many of my rifles. So I "went back" and tried out foam ear plugs recently (since sub-sonic 22's have so little report) but then I couldn't hear squat around me (like the electronics do), which I don't like at a public range (the electronics have spoiled me, I suppose). I'd get some of the thinner-can electronics, but they just don't have the same protection level ratings as the larger ones (I also have an LR-308 w/loud brake, a 30-06 1903 Sporter, 44-Mag, etc). So I'm at an impasse, unless I raise all of my scopes somehow, or buy yet another set of expensive headphones?
Yes, the ammo situation sucks, again. I'd done really good at getting stocked up, way ahead of time, but then some unexpected things caused me to fall a little behind, but only with certain "good stuff". I do have plenty of lesser ammo, in all calibers. Sadly, I may have to ration the SK-RM if none is available in the next year or two?
This is one (incomplete) part, of my two-part stash:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ammo Stash_004.jpg (234.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 11-21-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:00 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LW......
You got me to look at my T36, sun shining thru window today, not an everyday occurrence in my neck of the woods. I see a reflective sparkle to the T's Matte Black finish. Seems to be (sparkly) although slightly dusty look to the tube finish however I do not believe this is dust. The tube has a fine turning over its surface and I think that the finishes reflectivity changes as it is applied over this surface. Still think they're decent looking scopes.
Yes there isn't a whole lot of head/eye movement (3" eye relief, T36) to get a clear view of the entire sight picture. Seems about par for the course with these higher power "Target" scopes. Yes the added sunshade makes for a much heftier look! The electronic hearing protection sounds like something I should try. I have an old pair of blue muffs (not electric) that are good at knocking down sound although I occasionally use foam plugs because the muff can sometimes interfere by making stock contact.
Hey' looks like you've got some Italian ammo in there. Never tried any but I've read that it is also inertly loaded similar to Eley, SK/Lapua. Some of your ammo must be on its side..can't tell what it is but it looks as if you're nicely supplied! (Possibly, except) for the good shoot'in SK-RM. If you can find it SK-Pistol Match is one you should also try in your rifles.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:48 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, I've got a lot of Fiocchi ammo. My local (warehouse style - ASW) ammo supplier always carried a lot of Fiocchi ammo (before the current shortage) which is one reason why I ended up with so much, but Target Sports also supplied much of it. The Fiocchi 22lr ammo isn't anything special as far as being highly accurate, it's just average and no comparison to SK products (including the F sub-sonic and SV I have) , so it's mostly practice ammo (to stretch my limited SK supply if need be?), or plinking ammo for me (the plastic ammo cans w/bulk HV).

I do love the accuracy of Fiocchi's Sierra Match King 223 CF ammo, because it's been extremely accurate (in my Rock River Arms 24"-HBAR LAR-15 Varmint A4). With their 69g SMK ammo in the LAR-15 I took my first ever 200-yd shots this past spring. My first 4 shots were practice and to get the elevation hold needed (it's 6-24x50mm Nikon Black FX-1000 scope was zeroed at 100-yds), the 5th and final shot can be seen below (next to the 1/2" target dot aiming point), along with the rifle (w/added Magpul Gen-3 PRS stock), and how I made the shots that day - prone in the bed of my 68 El Camino (which kills my neck). I was thrilled with both the rifle and the ammo.

I did get (and still have most of) one brick of SK Pistol Match at the same time as the case of SK-RM. I tried some in this rifle, but other than a slightly different point of impact, there wasn't much difference. I was planning to see if it's any better in other rifles I have, that may not care as much for the SK-RM. That was the original plan anyway. With the shortage, it may not matter if it's fantastic out of something, I may not be able to get any more for ages?

The old T-Series scopes may technically have a matte finish, but to me, mine looks more like a semi-gloss, at least compared to the GS scopes. You're right though, they are nice looking, and they have a weird finish over the way the metal was machined. Now that I have the T-Series scope, I still can't help but dream and wonder what a (Japanese made Glass equipped) Nikon fixed power scope could have been like, or another (non-existent) model from some other good company? I wouldn't want to pay NF (March, etc?) prices for something around 20X, but it'd be nice to have something that's a good value (and has noticeably better, more modern optics than the old T-Series scopes). I guess it's impossible, but a longer eye box would be nice too, one like the average variable scope set on the lowest power, verses how bad things get at the highest power. That subject is over my head and knowledge level of scope engineering...

I don't know if it matters in your case, and where you live (?), but the electronic muffs are great if you want or need to hear things going on around you, things that traditional muffs tend to muffle out. It's also a safety issue at pay-to-play, and other ranges, being able to hear commands, or "unintentional targets" (dummies) who may end up somewhere in front of your weapon. In other cases, your personal safety (from assorted "predators", human or otherwise) is greatly enhanced being able to hear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRA Varmint A4_0001_200 yds.jpg (231.6 KB, 21 views)