CCI Green Tag "Competition" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
CCI Green Tag "Competition"

CCI Green Tag "Competition" vs CCI Standard Velocity "Target".

Is there a huge difference? Other than availability? I can't seem to find any Green Tag anywhere in stock.

I suspect it's the same as with Wolf, testing in lots, and more consistent product gets packaged as "Green Tag", but I can't find any information to verify that.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
steve b.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Your assumption is correct.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Is there a huge difference? Other than availability?"

Yes, price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
CharlieTN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You nailed it. SV is essentially just slightly out of spec from Green Tag. That's why it shoots so good through so many guns.

The difference can be fairly negligible.

Charlie
Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I find that the Green Tag is definitely worth the money in my 10/22 with a bull barrel from Green Mountain. The SV is great 4 out of 5 rounds or sometimes 9 out of 10, but that one inconsistant round is really bothersome, especially when you and the rifle are shooting well and the shot is no where near wear you "called it."

Green Tag is expensive and hard to find. When I do find it at a decent price, I get a lot and try to keep my supply always over the 500 round count.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I used to have a 541-T that loved Green Tags, but all of my other rifles hate it. They do however, like the new CCI Select. I think its better than Green Tag and a little cheaper. Still not as good as the SK stuff, but I try not to shoot SK in my 10/22. Its just too dirty.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My 2 cents--I haven't seen Green Tag around in about a year at my local shops including one that always stocked it.
I'd seen on the web that it was just SV that was more carefully weighed, but when I had some I compared the two and the bullet cannelures were different.

I never found much difference between SV and GT, so no big loss for me

I AM interested in trying to find CCI Select--as Gizzy said the SK and Wolf is dirty, and I'd like to find if Select is as good as Sk and Wolf but as clean as CCI SV
Guess I'll have to shop for some Select on line
Old 10-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Buzzsaw
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For some reason my MKII chokes on Green Tag but feeds and shoots SV without incident.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
One more tidbit for what it's worth.
The smith I use says Green Tag is the preferred ammo by S&W for Model 41 pistols.
I haven't seen it, and don't own a 41, but his advice has always been sound--he's a former Marine armorer, trainer and on his clubs pistol teams, plus numerous gun shops send work to him too--just by way of saying he's not a back door part time shop.

Might be worth checking out--or even why it was developed--kind of like 38 spl. HB wadcutters were designed for Smith 52 series pistols.

Last edited by Steve S; 10-09-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 AM
dhuze

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
According to CCI the way they make Green Tag is they produce a batch of .22's. Then they grab a sample of them and shoot them. If they group a certain size they become "Green Tag" if not they are boxed up as SV.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
OLD SIDEWINDER

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I've found the Green Tag shoots no better than SV, and neither one is worth a crap.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD SIDEWINDER View Post
I've found the Green Tag shoots no better than SV, and neither one is worth a crap.
I agree, neither one shoots well enough out of my Annies or my CZs. SK Std + and Eley yellow box outperform them. Even my Savage MKII likes the Federal Champions (blue box) better than the CCi SVs and Green Tags. Just my experience, you may have better luck.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
One more tidbit for what it's worth.
The smith I use says Green Tag is the preferred ammo by S&W for Model 41 pistols.
I haven't seen it, and don't own a 41, but his advice has always been sound--he's a former Marine armorer, trainer and on his clubs pistol teams, plus numerous gun shops send work to him too--just by way of saying he's not a back door part time shop.

Might be worth checking out--or even why it was developed--kind of like 38 spl. HB wadcutters were designed for Smith 52 series pistols.
The reason the smith is matched so well with Green Tag is way back in the day, Green Tag was match grade ammo available anywere in the USA, all gun writers used it as a test standard ammo. Back in the 80's I had never heard of lapua, never actually seen a box of Eley, but seen it in Magazines as being international competition ammo. I don't think SK Jagd was even around, but RWS was and acquiring it was next to impossible here in Michigan. Just today you have a much larger array of ammo choices.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Scriv
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Green tag

GT has never shot well in any gun I have ever tried it in. Surprisingly, CCI SV is consistently a top performer in pistols for me. It even shoots well in a Rem 541-T that I have. Not the best, but good enough that I may use it for the main load for that rifle due to lower cost.

Last edited by Scriv; 10-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM
LonnieP

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD SIDEWINDER View Post
I agree