CCI Green Tag "Competition" - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:11 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile CCI Green Tag "Competition":

I have not found Green Tag consistently accurate in all of my .22 LR rifles, however, in my TOZ 78-01 with its semi-match chamber, throat, and match bore, I am getting 100 yard groups ranging from .78" to 1.12" almost without fail in quiet air.
Wind, on the other hand, gives a widely "blown" group with Green Tag. Any wind and I find it practically useless for my spinner or targets at 200 meters. In wind it shot no better than 2" at 100 yards against the .5" of Federal Gold Medal from a scoped Marlin 2000 single shot. It appears to have its failings in regard to windage and finicky bore fit from rifle to rifle.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Based on the replies, I think I'll stop looking for it and try some Federal 711B.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
OLD SIDEWINDER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by labratt104 View Post
Based on the replies, I think I'll stop looking for it and try some Federal 711B.
I hate to say this, but the 711B is worse than Green Tag.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 AM
billy b

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I compared the GT to the SV a long time ago and found the SV to be more accurate in a MKII. It all depends on what you use it in. What doesn't work for others may work for you.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
SV shoots great out to 50yrds in most rifles. Beyond that, it is prone to being blown around. My marlin 39A hates the stuff. SV does shoot better than 711B. In zero wind, Federal 510 outshoots them all except entry level target ammo from across the pond. But the slightest puff of wind opens up groups beyond 50 yds.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
~ Rimfire ~

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
One more tidbit for what it's worth.
The smith I use says Green Tag is the preferred ammo by S&W for Model 41 pistols.
I haven't seen it, and don't own a 41, but his advice has always been sound--he's a former Marine armorer, trainer and on his clubs pistol teams, plus numerous gun shops send work to him too--just by way of saying he's not a back door part time shop.

Might be worth checking out--or even why it was developed--kind of like 38 spl. HB wadcutters were designed for Smith 52 series pistols.
A friend as told me for years that CCI Green Tag is the most accurate ammo in his 41. It is a old 41 that he purchased new.

I have never had good results with CCI Green Tag in any high end rifles. All things considered there is better ammo for the price of Green Tag. I do currently own a CZ 452 that shoots CCI Standard Velocity very well. I have no interest in trying Green Tag, I rather sort the SV by weight and call it Green Tag.

~ Rimfire ~
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
tom c.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD SIDEWINDER View Post
I've found the Green Tag shoots no better than SV, and neither one is worth a crap.
and when's the last time you shot green tag? it's been awhile for me.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
OLD SIDEWINDER

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom c. View Post
and when's the last time you shot green tag? it's been awhile for me.
Now tom c, you know what brand of ammo I buy!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Aquanewt
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a High Standard that shoots GT with excellent results and a S&W 41 that does the same. It is usually more expensive (last single box price I saw was $18.99 per 100) I practicewith CCI SV and I can see a difference.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM
labratt104

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I found a Gander Mountain locally that had a shelf full of Green Tag. I had also ordered a brick of 711B Federal.

Range day today. Conditions were fair to partly miserable. 40 degrees with about 10-15 mph variable winds out of the north, blowing left to right across the range. Shooting at 50 yards.

Shooting my Kidd 20 inch stainless barrel in a Kidd Classic receiver, Kidd single-stage trigger, Kidd bolt in a B&C Anschutz stock, didn't like either particularly well. This rifle shoots CCI SV Target almost as well as Wolf MT. One (ok, rather LARGE) ragged hole at 50 yards with CCI SV Target or Wolf MT on a regular basis when the conditions are favorable (which they weren't today). And the shooter isn't shivering.

Shooting my Shilen 20 inch sporter barrel in a standard Ruger receiver, Kidd bolt, Kidd single-stage trigger, Revolution TrailBlazer stock, didn't care for the 711B, absolutely loved the Green Tag. Even with a generally poor performance on MY part, I could easily get 5 shot groups with all holes at least touching.

My Browning BuckMark with the TacSol 5.5 inch Trail-Lite barrel liked the Fed 711B as well as anything else, functioned flawlessly and can shoot better than I can anyway. So the 711B won't go to waste.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 PM
labratt104

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Shilen 20" blue sporter contour. 10 shots. Shooter takes responsibility for the "fliers".

Kidd 20" SS target barrel. 10 shots. Again, the "fliers" were my fault.

Both rifles are capable of better accuracy than I am. But I'm having fun , isn't that why we do this?