Need some expert R55 17 HM2 advice - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:31 AM
gary w
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need some expert R55 17 HM2 advice

Back ground- I traded my Marlin cowboy for a NIB R55 17 HM2. First off I’m such a sucker for the HM2. Secondly I have shot the 10/22 weighted bolt handle and the Marlin 717 quite a bit so I was very well aware of what I was getting myself into. Lastly it was what I thought a generous deal getting the R55 (I always wanted), eley 17HM2s Ammo and cash first me Cowboy (which I secretly miss but never ever shot it).

The only thing I want really aware of was that not only has the R55 17 HM2 been discontinued but the 22 version also and after a call to TC CS, I find out that I’m pretty much screwed for any warranty or even buying a 22 caliber barrel. So my next thought was to see if I could have a custom barrel maker build me one.

Advice- is this rifle even worth spending anymore money on? What little I have read is that even the 22 version didn’t last all that long (not sure how true it is)

Or should I try to see if I can get it to safely shoot HM2 ammo.

I have to be honest. I ordered in Talley rings and mounted a nice scope. One day I had the urge to shoot it. First few shots was fine but eventually it did it’s thing. The problem was, that’s when I realized that I didn’t take the time to disassemble and clean it. My bad... but also maybe properly cleaned and lubricated it might shoot the HM2?

TIA for any advice.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:42 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you... I'm confused... So you shot the gun and had an out of battery explosion? If so what damage occurred, cleaning and lubrication are absolutely paramount with this type of rifle and caliber configuration. I'm not sure what question you need answered. As far as switching barrels to 22lr just sell the mach2 rifle and look for 22lr version, it would be a lot cheaper. I do want to help, be more specific please.

Last edited by Stripekiller; 03-02-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 PM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripekiller View Post
If you... I'm confused... So you shot the gun and had an out of battery explosion? If so what damage occurred, cleaning and lubrication are absolutely paramount with this type of rifle and caliber configuration. I'm not sure what question you need answered. As far as switching barrels to 22lr just sell the mach2 rifle and look for 22lr version, it would be a lot cheaper. I do want to help, be more specific please.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 03:30 PM
gary w

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for the confusion. I think You answered it by saying sell. I won’t replace it, don’t really need anymore 22 auto loaders.

Just figured I’d see if the rifle is even worth buying a 22 barrel for because I read where even as a 22 they are not a very long lasting rifle. Not sure what that meant but with it being discontinued and very few parts available it seems like it’s not worth it.

Yes one fired out of battery with no damage. I know how clean they need to be, I have shot thousands of rounds through my other auto loaders on spring time prairie dog pups.

My point was actually you should never take a new gun and fire it without a good cleaning and inspection. I realize that’s a very subjective opinion but one I normally live by.

I might sell it but I’d it had a 22 barrel for it then it would make me happier having both barrels. I thought the R55 was a well built rifle but I suppose they discontinued it for a good reason.

Thanks for your effort to help and again sorry I wasn’t clear
Old 03-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Stripekiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love my TC rimfires. They are beautiful well built firearms. 17 mach2 versions were iffy, and still are. I have a sporter version, I really enjoy shooting it but I'm afraid of it. It has never out of batteryed on me but the most I've shot through it at a time was maybe 25 rounds. The sporter version is heavier so it's not the preferred rifle for a day of hunting. One thing I do love about the rifle is that it is an excellent cold bore shooter. Go through a thorough cleaning and lube it, give it another try. These rifles haven't been built in about a decade, but they are so well made they shouldn't need a lot of support.

Last edited by Stripekiller; 03-02-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Stripekiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There is a fairly resent post in the 17 mach2 catagory regarding blowback operated 17 mach2s. They touch on old ammo causing issues. Just don't want to have you give up on the rifle. Personally I believe the R55 is a much better rifle than the 717. I've seen more than one of those with cracked stocks and it's not because someone drove over them with a truck.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:11 PM
gary w

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I love my TC rimfires. They are beautiful well built firearms. 17 mach2 versions were iffy, and still are. I have a sporter version, I really enjoy shooting it but I'm afraid of it. It has never out of batteryed on me but the most I've shot through it at a time was maybe 25 rounds. The sporter version is heavier so it's not the preferred rifle for a day of hunting. One thing I do love about the rifle is that it is an excellent cold bore shooter. Go through a thorough cleaning and lube it, give it another try. These rifles haven't been built in about a decade, but they are so well made they shouldn't need a lot of support.
That’s good to hear about them being well made. You might have restored my confidence in them to a certain degree.

Appreciate your experience with them, thank you!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:29 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Dont let all the hm2 horror stories convince you to sell a pretty nice rifle, many of them come from guys that have never owned an hm2. I have one as well along with a number of other hm2's and I believe they are a great rifle. The semi auto rifles need to be cleaned religously and you can't just shoot off several boxes of shells without doing this. No big deal for a squirrel rifle.

I have always liked the way the TC R55 felt and is well built with the one main flaw of the extractor chipping the chamber mouth. Read the info on this forum and you can remedy that easily. As far as switching barrels out, anything can be made. If you like it clean it well and shoot it otherwise I would agree it will be cheaper to sell and replace.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:39 PM
gary w

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
There is a fairly resent post in the 17 mach2 catagory regarding blowback operated 17 mach2s. They touch on old ammo causing issues. Just don't want to have you give up on the rifle. Personally I believe the R55 is a much better rifle than the 717. I've seen more than one of those with cracked stocks and it's not because someone drove over them with a truck.
I believe you are correct about the quality and I just happened on to the 717 and it happened to bring me great joy. I did have one out of battery with after three days of shooting just over 450 rounds through it with out cleaning. We was slaughtering the pups with it! It actually stuck a bullet in the tube that time. No damage and after we go to the motel I gave it a good cleaning and lubrication but now clean it every 50-100 rounds to error on the safe side.

I’m in the mode of thinning the herd while home on knee surgeries. Not doing well with it though... having a hard time getting rid of stuff. Have a marlin lever 410 and was going to sell it be been having so much fun with it that it’s going nowhere...

Thanks for the info, I’ll check out that blowback 17 HM2s.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:14 PM
gary w

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Dont let all the hm2 horror stories convince you to sell a pretty nice rifle, many of them come from guys that have never owned an hm2. I have one as well along with a number of other hm2's and I believe they are a great rifle. The semi auto rifles need to be cleaned religously and you can't just shoot off several boxes of shells without doing this. No big deal for a squirrel rifle.

I have always liked the way the TC R55 felt and is well built with the one main flaw of the extractor chipping the chamber mouth. Read the info on this forum and you can remedy that easily. As far as switching barrels out, anything can be made. If you like it clean it well and shoot it otherwise I would agree it will be cheaper to sell and replace.
Thank you sir. I found the detailed extractor chipping thread. I am home recovering from surgery and over did it yesterday so I wasn’t able to do anything but tomorrow I hope clean it and look mine over for the extractor issue and if necessary then repair.

After cleaning and if required repaired then I’ll run 50 rounds through it and see how it performs and after getting to know say 300-500 rounds later I’ll make the decision.

Hate to get rid of it... I really like the HM2!