Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:34 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

bass singer,

most of us cant do the work required to make small holes on paper. so we need to call on others for help. kinda makes the world go 'round. wish i had the xpertise to do that stuff. is your 93r17 a bolt action ?? savage, like mine ??

Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 PM
NONYA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope we get a SS section!Here is a pic of my SS model 60 project,FINALLY got the trigger work done last night,its a real pain compared to the 1022,the forend of the stock is done but I have work to do on the other end,it will be shortened about 4",Im making this project as a gift for my young nephew so the stock will be designed for a very small handed shooter.It will be his first rimfire.I polished the reciever and bolt,made som nice progress on the action,the trigger will never be what I got out of my 1022 but thats OK.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Da nephew ??

hay nonya,

looks like you are gonna have a favorite nephew. just keep him supplied with cheap ammo and all will be good. nice racks you got there. however old he is, he is one lucky kid, and you are a heckuva uncle. wanna adopt me??

BTW, those 60's arent meant to be hanging on the wall like some museum piece. get out and shoot it and paste some new pics here, maybe some of the nephew shooting it, now that you figured out the trigger thingee.

Last edited by RICOCHET; 01-18-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
btw, anyone, may have this back %%%%%wards so thought i'd ask for those who know.
am trying to set up a baseline of some sort, testing ammo and the factory bbls, and am wondering if i should be using the GM bbl as a guideline or is it the other way around ?? or does it make a diff ?? this is for the SStocker class.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:39 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello all!

Vincent your idea of a SuperStock class I think has quite a lot of merit. I have stayed out of this intentionally so as not to get anyone POed Thing is I haven't yet seen a specific complete set of standards for this. Now with that being said I have gone over this thread but not word for word, a lot of good ideas. If I get the idea right we are talking about any semi-auto 22lr rifle using a barrel of stock configuration other than heavy or bull style barrels (this also disallow Running Boar style barrels correct?), the stock itself must be in a standard configuration also. As to the trigger and other internal parts what is the standards? Are scopes going to be allowed and if so is there a power limit?

While I already have a project in the works that would have to be done first I would also consider building up a SuperStock rifle myself, but at the moment I have a low dough gun and a 1911 that come first. In other words it might be 2007 before I get started on one!

I can say that yes I would support a SuperStock class.

I have a stock 10/22 (its 1989 vintage so its not a model that would be a shame to chop up) that has as its only change a 4X Bushnell scope with a broken reticle. The two targets shown are at 25 yards and 50 yards respectively. This is the low dough gun that is in the works, its in pieces right now waiting for me to come up with the spare dollars to put into it.

Dave Z

Edited to add:BTW this thing still had the 8# or so trigger in it, not bad for a stocker I think.

Last edited by gmcfixer; 01-18-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Exclamation SuperStock forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter27red
If "Ultimates" have their own Forum, then most certainly the "SuperStock" deserves its own forum, not just becoming a sticky at the top of "Anything 10/22", if that was the case, then all of the "Ultimates" should also just be a sticky section at the top of "Anything 10/22".
I propose, along with many others that this type of rifle be given the stand alone status that it deserves........I'll only ever build one "Ultimate", but I'll build innumerable SuperStocks.
I agree with Skeet SuperStock should get its own forum! and I also will only own one "Ultimate" but already have 2 SuperStockers
Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dave what it comes down to is that there really isn't much in the way of rules. Rules, I feel, are for competition. This is not a competitive class. It is like asking what are the rules for an "Ultimate". Basically stock or stock appearing barrels, stocks that are mostly stock. Unlimitated internal mods. It is a fun deal. This is the squirrel hunter, plinker, lightweight paper puncher that everyone should have. I see no reasons for big list of rules. As has become the motto here...Run what ya brung. What this does is put the emphasis on PRACTICAL rifle that you don't mind carrying all day but shoots almost as well as a heavy barrel gun.

These are guns that we hope to learn from building. Exchange ideas on what works. If you try something and it is a total flop...post it so we all learn. Since it is not competitive you learn something good you tell the world because we are gonna love ya for it. I could be wrong but I think anyone that could fog a mirror could build a bolt together "Ultimate". Thanks for your interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Vincent,
I think this Idea of yours to build practical rifles is outstanding. IMO we all have them and all love them, I dont know about you guys but Im not going to carry a heavy barreled gun in the woods all day, but I want the gun I carry to shoot like a heavy barrel. I have been playing with my 60 and having a ball doing it. I want it to be as accurate on the first shot as possible. It seems like I am not the only one intrested in making stockers shoot well. Skeeter said it best but these rifles diserve the same respect as any other. Just my thoughts, and again great job Vincent.

Chromie
Old 01-19-2006, 12:35 AM
NONYA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think many of us are competitive in nature and want to see how our creations compare to those of the forum,if we have a class definition it makes it easy for us to compare our results with others,i think its a great Idea,I would like to see a section where each of us posts a pic of our project and group results from 25 and 50 yards,maybe we could use a bulk ammo like dyna or Rem gold as a standard ?.This would all be on the honor system and we can see the results everytime someone comes up with a new mod!Sounds like fun to me.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Nonya,
good point and I agree 100%
Chromie
Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 AM
bass_singer
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOCHET
bass singer,

most of us cant do the work required to make small holes on paper. so we need to call on others for help. kinda makes the world go 'round. wish i had the xpertise to do that stuff. is your 93r17 a bolt action ?? savage, like mine ??
Yep! I was referred to the savage shooters web site which has detailed instructions on how to shim the trigger but getting up the courage to take the gun apart and do it is something else. Would be very nice to have a smooth trigger though.

-Stuart Townend, 'How Deep the Father's Love For Us,' c1995, ThankYou Music

I like Dwight, Jordan, Gene, David, et al...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Skeeter27red

TPC Rating: 
94% (23)
Crack me up

"This idea of yours to build a practical rifle is a good one".......That's too funny!......Vincent, you're a friggin' genius!........Practical rifle, who'd a thunk it?
Standards.......How about your group size being THE standard for YOURSELF, not the barrel configuration, or unaltered factory stock (cannot be defined as a SuperStock until you are under a 1/4"@50 is my PERSONAL standard).......I have a 96HMR with a very special Experimental GM fluted bull barrel on it, it is a SuperStock by my definition, every single modification to the action, trigger work, bedding, stock refinishing, re-shaping and barrel channelling, adapted cantilever scope mount, brushed aluminum look, all of everything I did myself, it'll stay under a half at 100 effortlessly.......The factory barrel would get too hot in less than 20 rounds, that's no fun........The barrel choice IS being practical! (Thank goodness for Moly Fusion and Bull Barrels! Picture of rifle is in the Stock refinishing section).
On the other hand, I'd never post the picture of my wife's 10/22 as being a Superstock, although the re-contoured and re-finished factory Carbine stock is beautiful, the barrel hasn't been re-chambered, and it only took second place (out of 26) at this years' Church Turkey Shoot in the "22lr Iron sights only" Shoot-Off...........Not a SuperStock by MY definition.........YET.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Feel free

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA
I think many of us are competitive in nature and want to see how our creations compare to those of the forum,if we have a class definition it makes it easy for us to compare our results with others,i think its a great Idea,I would like to see a section where each of us posts a pic of our project and group results from 25 and 50 yards,maybe we could use a bulk ammo like dyna or Rem gold as a standard ?.This would all be on the honor system and we can see the results everytime someone comes up with a new mod!Sounds like fun to me.
I'm starting to get signals that the SuperStock class is going to be around for a LONG time. I'm sure there will be alot of what you are talking about bu let me ask you to take it one step further. If you make a major change why not post before and after pics (I still have no way to even post pics) of your mod. You gonna have the barrel off to CPC? shot 4 or 5 groups before it goes and again when it comes back. Remember, one of the BIG features of this forum will be trading information. We'll learn, together, what makes one of these little rifles sing and what makes them croak

Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Out of his Shell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter27red
"This idea of yours to build a practical rifle is a good one".......That's too funny!......Vincent, you're a friggin' genius!........Practical rifle, who'd a thunk it?
Standards.......How about your group size being THE standard for YOURSELF, not the barrel configuration, or unaltered factory stock (cannot be defined as a SuperStock until you are under a 1/4"@50 is my PERSONAL standard).......I have a 96HMR with a very special Experimental GM fluted bull barrel on it, it is a SuperStock by my definition, every single modification to the action, trigger work, bedding, stock refinishing, re-shaping and barrel channelling, adapted cantilever scope mount, brushed aluminum look, all of everything I did myself, it'll stay under a half at 100 effortlessly.......The factory barrel would get too hot in less than 20 rounds, that's no fun........The barrel choice IS being practical! (Thank goodness for Moly Fusion and Bull Barrels! Picture of rifle is in the Stock refinishing section).
On the other hand, I'd never post the picture of my wife's 10/22 as being a Superstock, although the re-contoured and re-finished factory Carbine stock is beautiful, the barrel hasn't been re-chambered, and it only took second place (out of 26) at this years' Church Turkey Shoot in the "22lr Iron sights only" Shoot-Off...........Not a SuperStock by MY definition.........YET.
Skeeter my friend (I'm very proud to call you that) I've said it before but man, one of these days you are gonna come out of your shell. THEN you are REALLY gonna be something Buddy!!!!!

Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
Dave what it comes down to is that there really isn't much in the way of rules. Rules, I feel, are for competition. This is not a competitive class. It is like asking what are the rules for an "Ultimate". Basically stock or stock appearing barrels, stocks that are mostly stock. Unlimitated internal mods. It is a fun deal. This is the squirrel hunter, plinker, lightweight paper puncher that everyone should have. I see no reasons for big list of rules. As has become the motto here...Run what ya brung. What this does is put the emphasis on PRACTICAL rifle that you don't mind carrying all day but shoots almost as well as a heavy barrel gun.
OK its clearer now man!!! Forgive me I thought you had been talking about having a class of rifle for the e-mail matches. Even with the misunderstanding I think that a SuperStock forum could be a good idea. What I would suggest is that if a forum is added the choice has to be made, will it be 10/22 only and go in the 10/22 forums list or do you put it along with Open Rimfire and title it SuperStock rimfire rifles.

Has anyone thought about running a poll on this to give Admin a concensus among the membership?

Dave Z
Closed Thread