Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 AM
Anschutz458

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Best 22lr Ammo ?

I am by no means an expert. Only have I recently got back into 22s. Anschutz 1712. I lean towards the RWS-50, but Eley and Lapua are right there. Just couldnít quite understand this article. I understand that not everyone can spend $.20 to $.40 a round for Ammo. But I think this article was deceiving to not say that top-tier Ammo was not included. I just feel like if somebody was getting into the sport or just wanted to shoot accurate ammo they would not even know of the three I listed based on that article.
I mean if youíre going to name the greatest sports cars I think you have to list Ferrari and Lamborghini? Of course without a doubt the mustang would be there etc. just my opinion

https://www.shootingandsafety.com/22...1#comment-3206
Old 12-06-2019, 12:59 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes a highly selective and unbalanced if not totally false article.

I'm not against American product at all as a matter of fact I'd really rather purchase it over others but facts are facts.

As you stated the two German firms and the firm in the United Kingdom would highly likely be the top three 22 ammo for target.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:15 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anschutz458 View Post

Re-title the article "Best mass-market 22lr ammo under 4 cents!"
Then the article would have at least a little credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-06-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 AM
Anschutz458

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Believe me when I tell you I had never heard of Eley, Rws or Lapua(Except for their Brass) much less Anschutz. But as I said in another post, if I hadnít shot my friends Zepher ll and enjoyed it so much maybe never would have. For years itís just been centerfires and shotguns. Anyway thanks to this site I learned about the Anschutz Thanks Rimfire Central. If you wouldíve told me 4 months ago I was going to spend that on a 22 rifle I wouldíve probably said you obviously donít know me or If I do then I should probably be committed . Anyway havenít had this much fun shooting in a long time. Also had I bought that rifle and not done research especially on here I probably wouldnít have been happy with the accuracy. Not knowing about the quality Ammo that is available. Cabelaís and stores alike obviously donít stock it, at least not around here(Texas Gulf coast). However they do stock quality ammo for rifles like my Creedmoor Grendel etc. I wonder if that will change? 22ís seem to be more popular than ever, or maybe Iím just more aware.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Based on experience reported here, the only one that was listed on the article that is even half way good it the Automatch. Most here considder the others plinking ammo or junk.

It's profit margin. I have yet to see a local gun shop carry any high end .22LR match ammo. A lot of guys have Creedmores and Grendals and the only choice they have is either handload or pay the price at the LGS. There aren't as many guys that want .22 ammo at $15.00 a box. Those that do aren't willing to pay $1500 for a case without lot testing and an LGS isn't willing to have cases and cases of $1500 ammo for the one or two local guys that will buy one or two cases and let the rest sit.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Wart Hawg
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to mention his photos aren't correct. The number one choice described is Thunderbolts yet the picture shows Golden bullets. The number two choice is CCI Stinger but the picture shows Maxi Mag TNT ... which as we all know isn't even 22LR! Nice effort Aiden but come on!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 AM
cmb1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

I'm not against American product at all as a matter of fact I'd really rather purchase it over others but facts are facts.

As you stated the two German firms and the firm in the United Kingdom would highly likely be the top three 22 ammo for target.
Absolutely agree, If there's a choice, BUYING products made here is first for me. Being an educated consumer enters in too!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
The best .22 lr ammo is the one you find that shoots the best in your rifles!

I find these so call articles on what is best ammo, just somebody's justification of being paid to write the article.

Lee
Old 12-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The author listed the top five best .22LR ammo, top of the list is Remington Thunderbolt. I couldn't read any further. If that article was printed on paper, it wouldn't be worthy of use in an outhouse.

What are the odds Remington gave him a little "financial kickback"?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
This has to be the worst introduction to rimfire ammo article I've ever seen. Besides the obvious "Top 6 22lr ammo" pretty much everything else that he says is wrong. "Golden Bullets are a great choice for competition shooting" and "beginners should use subsonic 22lr for lack of recoil". LOL!!!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got a chuckle out of the article, but surely wouldn't take it seriously if looking for quality ammo. I don't think I've had good luck with any ammo he lists in the article save maybe CCI, and then it is hit and miss- pun intended....

If you have a Cabela's, they can order the ammo for you or you can go to Targetsports.com and order whatever you want in whatever quantity you want for very good prices... Our local Sportsmans Warehouse has small amounts of the high end ammo on the shelves all the time, as does our Cabelas and a couple others....

Bob
Old 12-07-2019, 08:05 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Hi-NV Shooter;11694875]The best .22 lr ammo is the one you find that shoots the best in your rifles!

/QUOTE]

This is pretty much the most accurate answer, yet so open-ended, its not even funny.

When I got my first "Nice" 22 LR rifle, I didn't know what to expect with ammunition.

I ended up going to a well-stocked LGS, picking up several boxes of anything that was marketed as "Match" or "Target", did the same thing at Grafs and Midway, and then went out shooting with targets and a notebook.

It didn't take long to cull out the winners. Once that was picked, I ordered online, since my rifle liked the stuff that nobody carried. After that was done, I gave away the remaining partial boxes to a less picky friend for his son to shoot @ Appleseed.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That article is a complete joke.

≡✪≡
Old 12-08-2019, 04:26 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He even had a photo of a box of 22 mag ammo in there. I wish he had defined his thought on what "target shooting" is. My guess it's something like shooting one gallon paint can lids at 25 yards.

I'll try to remember the authors name so if I see it again I'll know not to waste my time reading anything of his.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:51 PM
drift

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well after reading the comments, I wonít waste my time or provide his story anymore notoriety by clicking on it.