Most reliable and accurate semi auto 22 WMR? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most reliable and accurate semi auto 22 WMR?

I've been on the hunt for a semi auto pistol and rifle in 22 WMR that will cycle and feed reliably. From what I've seen the CZ 512 22 WMR rifle is the route to go. I'm thinking the American version. I was looking magnum research as well but I couple YouTube videos I watched it seemed the 512 was more reliable and a little more accurate. I'm just not excited about not being able to adjust the 512 trigger. I see the savage rifle has an adjustable trigger but doesn't seem to group as well as either of the other two mentioned. Cmr 30 looks cool but accuracy sucks and feeding issues I saw on several posts.

Pistol wise I wanted an excel excellerator. Don't mind the weight...I want accuracy. The more I read the more I find FTF and FTE issues. Think i will end up buying a pmr 30. It sounds like if you don't stack the bullets correctly they won't feed as well. Was looking at the old automags and it sounds like they have the same issues. Has anyone tried the rock island 22 WMR? Can't find any info on them other than show and tells at shot how. I'd wait till they came came out with the one they showed with a rail so I could mount a red dot.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-21-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You might want to read this American Rifleman test of the Magnum Research Barracuda. Phenomenal accuracy for any .22WMR, better than found with the best bolt guns--.91" at 100 yards average over several run-of-the-mill ammos. The one limitation: it will not function with bullet weights less than 40 gr.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...wmr-barracuda/
Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I'm leaning towards the magnum research carbon wrapped barrel with the hogue stock now. Looks like they run about $150 more than the CZ. I can buy aftermarket triggers for this. I know it says not to run 30g bullets through it but I've read some posts that shooters are having reliability and great accuracy with that hornady vmax ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 07:24 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The PMR 30 I had was a jam-o-matic with 3 different brands including the Hornady. It was made well after all the "corrections" and the mags were all loaded correctly. A real POS. Posted this other places and got some replies with the same experiences. Magnum Research said that the warranty will be voided if you use ( I believe) 30gr ammo. IF I were to get a semi auto mag today, I would try the CZ. Had a Savage A22 mag with a terrrrrrible accurelease trigger.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Lee Sherman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 512 in .22 WMR

I purchased a CZ 512 NIB approx. 2 years ago. Runs great, shoot's straight. Not a single issue, ever. Fit'n'finish 5*. Ammo is pricy for a rim-fire cart. Forteen or fifteen bucks for fifty rds. My other rifle in Win- mag is a Henry Evil Roy that is equally awesome to shoot. I recommend both to anyone.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has only one done triggerwork on their 512's? I'd really like to shoot 30 grainers if their accurate. I'm tilting back towards the 512 American.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 PM
shooter65
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Magnum Research for the win. Very accurate 22 mag.
Federal 50 gr and Hornady 30gr V Max
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?t=1025081

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?t=1055826
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know some people are lucky enough to get a wmr that never stovepipes, even when dirty but you can't count on that even with the cz. I am very satisfied with my 512 but after about 30 rounds I need to have a little bit of synthetic oil in the action to help it keep from being affected by the unburned powder building up in there. I would go with the 512 myself, it is so fun to shoot, but then again I haven't had the chance to shoot a MR either, I did hold one at the lgs. My gun will shoot acceptably with anything I have shot through it which is quite a bit. the A22 ammo shoots really well and is a little hotter too. don't count on a pmr30 running flawlessly, I know several people that own one.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hornady 30 grainers shoot very well in my 512 also, as do any variety of 40 grain loads including maxi mag and fiocchi, the 30 gr. maxi mag also shoots well but it is real hot and may not be quite as accurate as the others, but for hunting it's good. My range shooting is at about 55 to 70 yds and with the 512 and a 3x9x40 scope set on 7 I can put all 10 rounds in a 2 inch group in about 15 seconds, never shot it off a bench though.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:08 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Were it me...

Savage A-22 WMR semi-auto Rifle. NOT a SINGLE failure YET in hundreds of rounds at the range and in the woods, even while snowing for hours.

Keltec PMR30

This is a combo I carry in the woods A LOT. Matter of fact I carried the PMR30 the entire 2017 hunting season.

I know a lot of people dislike and have had troubles with the PMR30, but if you research my name and polish the barrel face/feed ramp and chamber to a mirror shine, I think you'll be pleased.

DR

Last edited by drinva; 01-22-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:53 PM
mongochicago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
Has only one done triggerwork on their 512's? I'd really like to shoot 30 grainers if their accurate. I'm tilting back towards the 512 American.
The Hornady 30 grainers were THE most accurate in my custom Winchester Highwall, Savage A22, and Anschutz 1516. The Anschutz got me a half inch group at one hundred yards.
As far as the PMR 30 goes, I don't fell that I should HAVE to perform alterations just to get it to function. I am waiting for some recent reviews on the Rock Island/Armscor 1911 22 magnum. I would really like to get that one.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I was hoping this thread would give me some input on the semi-auto pistol side as I kind of have this on my list as well. I have three 22 WMR rifles and like them all.

CZ 455 Varmint - Shoots everything I had very well but have not done extensive ammo testing as to which produces the best groups. May want to replace the trigger spring now that I have a supply.

CZ 512 American - Ditto on everything I said about the 455 Varmint. Trigger is a bit heavier but certainly manageable as a hunting rifle.

Last on the list is a Magnum Research MLR-1722 with that Barracuda stock & 19" carbon fiber barrel others have mentioned. This rifle is such a pleasure to pickup and shoot. Light, fits me perfectly, shoots well, and just plain looks great. I upgraded to the MLR-1722 when I returned my Savage 93 BTVSS which couldn't shoot 5 rounds out of a 5 round mag without 2-3 FTL, FTF, or FTE failures.

Note on the Magnum Research 22 WMR - The manual clearly states "Use only 22 WMR ammunition (of 40 grains or more) that are manufactured to SAAMI standards" However mine cycles everything I have including 32, 35, & 40 grain ammo.

I have a S&W 648 for the sidearm requirement - but thats a revolver.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 PM
mongochicago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Armscor/Rock Island Armory 1911 XT 22 magnum may well be worth waiting for. I have had the Excel Arms Accelerator and the Keltek PMR 30. Since this was in development for about 5 years, all the bugs should be worked out. They said that by mid year, they should be caught up on all the pre-orders. Hard to wait but I am going to try.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If they make the target barrel version with picanty/weaver rail I'll be buying one.