High priced ammo strangling the sport - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If I was good enough to compete I would use the best ammo I could afford. I shoot expensive ammo when I want to see how good my gun will do. Then I find the best shooting cheap ammo and go with that

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
It appears I’d of been better off suggesting a minimum limit of a dollar per round. Creating less competition, less interest in our sport , and less support of our gun rights.
You gots to have thick skin to play on RFC sometimes Ad.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
It appears I’d of been better off suggesting a minimum limit of a dollar per round. Creating less competition, less interest in our sport , and less support of our gun rights.
Sure. Ammo costs and match rules will cause people to have second thoughts about their right to arm themselves. It's not about the shooting sports, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Ammo is supplied by the event organizer.
Targets also.
Cost is part of the entry fee.
Works for the local shooting competition

Here's an idea -- start up your own match at your local range. Coordinate with the folks that run the range to get a set date, maybe once per month. Establish your own rules about a "base class" with limits on the rifle and sights used. Make ammo part of that. To avoid cheating (putting Center-X rounds in RGB box) you provide the ammo purchased via match entry fees.

You'll have done your part to address what you see as a hurdle to getting folks involved in the shooting sports. Over time you'll see how much interest folks have shooting under those constraints, how many stick with it, and how many move on to other competitions after getting their feet wet.

Serious suggestion there but I'll point out that just about every modern shooting sport started under a similar premise of "getting back to basics" before the hyper-competitive crowd moved in and changed things to what you see today.

Let us know how it works out. Who knows? It could become the "next great thing" as was the case with Appleseed and NRL22. Good luck.

Last edited by Sophia; 12-09-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Mister_22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess I just don't get it. From my experience, which is far too many years for me to admit. I see where only about the top 10% of the shooters will benefit from such high end ammo. The other 90% couldn't tell the good stuff from the bad.

Like I say, I have a few years and I see a slight difference in the $3 to $20/box ammo. The only way I can see a difference is on the bench with really good bags, etc. But standing two-handed or 1 handed, I sure can't tell the difference and I bet, neither can that 10th guy! It might take 3 to 5 shooters of our club to be able to tell the difference!

Maybe this is why the top 3 to 10% of the shooters are the best... and it ain't the ammo!
Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Magnum357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve started coaching a 4H rifle team, and the cost of the ammo is the last thing we’re looking at. I am more concerned with kids who don’t have thousands to spend, learning rifle safety, a valuable set of skills that translate to other life skills(patience), and having fun in a welcoming environment. The state rifle shot rules focus on 3 position and sporter type shooting, so, these kids can be competitive with rifles that don’t cost mom and dad a month’s salary. All that said, the most expensive .22 ammo is still affordable by the families.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Adventurer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve long suspected this forum is a veiled advertisement area. Now I’m convinced of it.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Adventurer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot this @ 200 yards with cci sv 7 1/4 x 5 3/4 and a mid 600 dollar rifle / scope combo. Y’all post your 200 yard 50 shot group , and justify the difference in expense
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DE19E41-9D63-45F1-AFCC-9E1B0A32A81A_1575976751483.jpg (483.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Shot this @ 200 yards with cci sv 7 1/4 x 5 3/4 and a mid 600 dollar rifle / scope combo. Y’all post your 200 yard 50 shot group , and justify the difference in expense
I also typically shoot CCI SV when I am shooting out past 100y, due to my hit percentage on steel not being significantly better with the more expensive stuff. I dont know about anyone else, but I dont really think anyone has to justify what ammo they want to buy. Do I buy more expensive stuff for NRL22 matches with my savage b22 or my 10/22? sure, sometimes. More expensive stuff for the local benchrest and ARA sporter matches? yes. but sometimes i use cheaper stuff if that lot is shooting better on the day. I really dont see how ammo is the singular expense that is the problem. all someone needs to go shoot an NRL22 base class event is any one of a hundred combinations of rifle and scope with combined MSRP of less than about $1k. and any load they want.

at the end of the day, in any event we all have to get lucky with ammo lots to win. its not as if i am not sitting on a batch of $170 per brick of tenex right now that doesnt shoot a whole lot better than a brick of $43 sk magazine, or a lot of RWS that was on sale a while back for $25 per brick. less expensive ammo can shoot, but you have to lot test, in your rifle. no matter how expensive the ammo you choose to shoot is.

last month, that brick of tenex shot upper shot mid 240s on the USBR target, 2 days ago i barely made it into the 230s with the same lot. i dont think the sport is any differnt than racing, usually the guy most dedicated to putting in the time to test wins. some days winning just happens without much effort, and other days you cant hit the ground with your hat. but the fact of the matter is the more you shoot, to more often you tend to be on your game. does it cost $, well yeah. but that just life and most of us arent keen on participation trophys.

Last edited by Clem-E; 12-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
The forum has a place for posting these: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...7#post11696527
Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 AM
RAVAGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How many events have you attended that appeared “strangled” and what “sport” are you referring to? I’ve been to tons of events, LR PRS (rimfire), NRL22, Rimfire ELR and recently attended the Chickenfoot BR match and didn’t note any strangulation at all. In fact, there’s been a resurgence of interest in rimfire events over the last few years and it’s showing continued growth for the foreseeable future.

Above the levels of general plinking, ammunition companies have stepped up to provide higher quality ammo specifically for the purposes of increasing the ability of shooters to be more competitive and more shooters are sending their rifles to the Eley and Lapua test facilities for lot testing. Bottom line is, the more economically priced ammo has never been “competitive” because it’s intended purpose has never been advertised to perform at the levels of the more competitive ammo used in various events.

MB
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Adventurer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know many people who own a 22 , I don’t know anyone that would pay 1000- 2000 dollars for a case of ammo.I live near a high tech town , Huntsville Alabama; supposedly more phds per capita than anywhere in the world, and the closest event I can find , is over 2 hours away, and it’s in an indoor facility.The only reason I can think would cause this dilemma, is like I say. I know absolutely know one that will pay 1000-2000 a case for ammo. I can’t bring myself to buy more than 3 bricks of SK, and I’ve only done that once.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:22 AM
MManning

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I know many people who own a 22 , I don’t know anyone that would pay 1000- 2000 dollars for a case of ammo.I live near a high tech town , Huntsville Alabama; supposedly more phds per capita than anywhere in the world, and the closest event I can find , is over 2 hours away, and it’s in an indoor facility.The only reason I can think would cause this dilemma, is like I say. I know absolutely know one that will pay 1000-2000 a case for ammo. I can’t bring myself to buy more than 3 bricks of SK, and I’ve only done that once.
PHD's generally get paid well, so they should have enough disposable income to spend on the "sport". I don't think it's the ammo cost "spoiling the sport".
Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 AM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
82% (18)
I''d rather shoot more as I feel in most sports it's 80% person & 20% equipment so I shoot on the farm & 5-10 cases a year. I learned long ago you can't buy you way to winning. CCI SV & Aguila SV work fine & if I get aa flyer I know it just as I know when I pull a shot. My old shooting buddy & I love to accurize cheap rifles, it cost very little & is fun to experament. I just bought a Keystone I'm working on. When he was going to school he'd walk to school with his 22, put it in his locker & on the way home stop by the sherrifs office who let him & other kids shoot at the range in the basement. I raced motocross in the '70s when every year you had to have a bew bike as suspension increased as well as HP. I remember sitting on the line at Redbud on my $2000 mike wearing $500 in leather, paid $24 to enter & camp & if I won the best of 3 motos I got $60 & not even a trouphy as I was racing class A. I was in a '66 chevy van & homeade trailer parked next to 40' class As with mechanics, spare bikes,etc. Now I compete against myself not even my buddy as we encourage & cheer each other on except on the 5 paddle targets placed from 85 to300 yards & 2 for pistol at 25 & 50 yards. We have to compete on those & what a blast! It's all about fun & getting better with every brick you shoot, Right?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Simple logic , allowing high priced ammo into competition; limits the amount of people that can afford to be competitive. Therefore reducing the number of competitors, matches, and general interest in the sport. Limit the price to 250 a box , and the sport would be much more accessible to the people who just can’t afford 10- 20 dollar a box ammo. The sport would have a much better chance to grow , and ammunition makers would have some incentive to produce better ammo , at a cheaper price.
If I may ask what kind of rifles do you shoot? auto, bolt ? factory, custom?

and do you shoot any matches?

Lee

p.s
the fact that you pay more for better ammo, does not mean it will shoot better

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 12-10-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Advernturer have you tried any of the "more expensive" ammo in your rifle? There are rifles that aren't capable of taking advantage of better ammo. I know because I own some of these rifles.

My suggestion is to back up to 50 yards and shoot some targets like the A-17 or the ARA target. I shoot A-17's, they have 10 scoreable bulls with two sighting bulls. After you have your rifle sighted in shoot five targets (50 shots). Then clean the barrel because in my experience SV is pretty dirty and fouls the barrel. Shoot enough Center-X or similar mid priced or even higher end ammo to season the barrel and sight in, then repeat the targets as above.

Please report the scores and weather conditions from both tests.