Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:51 PM
KyleAllen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Cattleman,

Just “Show up and Shoot” an ARA Match with what you have and don’t worry what class it falls into. Have Fun and see if you like it.

I Competed in 2018 with a stock CZ and enjoyed every minute of it. I compared my scores to the other guys that were shooting similar equipment. I never placed higher than 4th overall, but learned a lot and made some Friends.

Here is a link to the Clubs in Virginia that are shooting ARA Competitions:

https://www.americanrimfire.com/inde...state=Virginia

I challenge every current ARA Competitor to bring at least one New Shooter to a Competition in 2020.
That is how we will build the sport.

Last edited by KyleAllen; 12-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:36 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Piney Hill

Not listed on ARA schedule yet?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Mostly IR-50/50 at Piney Hill, Match there this Sat. Same deal as ARA they need shooters too.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Cattleman,

Just “Show up and Shoot” an ARA Match with what you have and don’t worry what class it falls into. Have Fun and see if you like it.

I challenge every current ARA Competitor to bring at least one New Shooter to a Competition in 2020.
That is how we will build the sport.

Every shooting discipline should do this -a show up and shoot division. Pay a small fee and use a relaxed and simple set of rules. No fancy equipment. The cost of competing should be low. I want to show up with a Nikon scoped Savage MK II and a set of bags and shoot with people with the same budget and time constraints as I have.
NRA Bullseye is a good example of a dying shooting sport. Lots of rules, expensive equipment, so steeped in the traditions of the sport they are unwilling to change as society changes around them.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyboy View Post
Every shooting discipline should do this -a show up and shoot division. Pay a small fee and use a relaxed and simple set of rules. No fancy equipment. The cost of competing should be low. I want to show up with a Nikon scoped Savage MK II and a set of bags and shoot with people with the same budget and time constraints as I have.
NRA Bullseye is a good example of a dying shooting sport. Lots of rules, expensive equipment, so steeped in the traditions of the sport they are unwilling to change as society changes around them.
ARA is exactly as you wish. It is a Show Up & Shoot Organization.

You can shoot any .22 you have, $129 Cricket or a 100 pound railgun.

You can shoot any ammo you like. .02 Bulk or .40 Eley.

Any optic you like is fine or iron sights, if you choose.

You can shoot off of a Bipod, backpack or $1,200 one-piece rest.

The fees at my Club are $5 for Members and $10 for Guests.

Go, Shoot an ARA Competition. If you are the competitive type; compare your scores to the guys shooting similar equipment and ammo.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
If you want to get your feet wet, just show up with what your have. There is nothing to fear, nothing to loose and who knows, you may learn something that will help you out with your BR shooting. I use to go to the Winter indoor ARA & IR50 matches, with a Winchester 52D and a bi-pod. Finally bought a custom rifle, but held on to the bi-pod. Go, have fun and meet some great people.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:42 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I read it'll be any scope and ammo?

A local range shoots ARA matches so I'll probably try to shoot a couple to see what they are all about. I'm competitive and like to at least have a chance of making a good showing. My Tikka T1X is the only rifle I own that will fit from my understanding. It appears to me it could be a class with $2000 scopes and $20 a box ammo. If it turns into a money race I'll be content to shoot in the back yard.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:49 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scott you are right, my speculation is just that, speculation. Hopefully the "approved rifle list" will include some older rifles.

I have three 52's and a Annie 1712 that I shoot in some fun matches at one of the local gun clubs. I know the Annie won't make it, understandably so. The 52's are my favorites and I smile every time I pick one up, if they don't make the list I understand that too.

Like I mentioned I have the T1X to shoot so I'll give it a whirl. I just don't want to show up at a gunfight with a knife.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 AM
jerryg22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (40)
I agree. It should approve currently manufactured rifles to keep it simple.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
justinp61,
And how, as the list (not final) is currently configured, making you feel you are bringing a "knife to a gun fight"? This whole thing has gone over your head, as well as all of the others that have posted about out of production 'premium' rifles. And BTW, it's NOT a gun fight, it's a rifle match. No one wins a new Corvette, not even the big boy class. No one gets really ANYTHING. Oh!, except the fun of competing and meeting new friends of a like mind. Did you miss that part of two posts? I'll bet you did, because you posted you may as well shoot in your back yard, then now turn around and tell us you HAVE been shooting informal matches.

As I have heard, this class is NOT about having rifles that are out of production that were made from the factory at the time of their production to much higher levels of performance. What don't you guys understand about that?!?! There are no rifles that are built today that can compete with the old premium rifles of past years that cost less than 1k. If the current rules and approved list of rifles stays with out your 52's and 40X's etc, what do you care? Most of you have a rifle to shoot that makes the grade and some who have posted already shoot Unlimited. Plus they get to meet people who have infectious attitudes about the sport just like I have met. Really good people to hang out with.

You, justinp61, bait people here about 2k scopes and $20 a box ammo and turn around when someone responds to your post and tells us about your Annie and three 52's and previous informal match experience. Hum?

This new class is addressing shooters who can not afford three 52's and an Annie at this time. Way more to your camouflaged original post than you said. This new class is an attempt to get guys shooting their hunting rifles and run of the mill factory rifles to try the sport with out having to fork out a bunch of money. You, it seems, are just like the rest that want to post 'opinions' about how the sanctioning body is going about this. You don't want to grow the sport anymore than they do. Being you posted your competitive spirit, and I know some of the other guys that posted similar opinions about older premium rifles I draw this conclusion. You guys just want to cut a fat hog in the butt with your older premium rifles and slay the guy that only has his squirrel gun to shoot. Make it a money chase game. I personally don't think that's the intent of the sanctioning body.

I feel the objective of the sanctioning body is to increase the participation in sanctioned RFBR. I feel they want to let guys with a smaller budget the chance to shoot the rifles they can afford in sanctioned matches where they get more than just informal club recognition. Perhaps as more disposable income comes their way, they move up, or at least participate more at the level they choose.

I personally don't own any rifles in the new class, or any of the rifles people are, oh I'll just cut the PC crap and just tell it like it is......whining about. I don't whine, I shoot rifles within two sanctioning bodies and play by the rules. If I don't like the rules then I don't have to play. Pretty darn simple. I am sure my post is coming across as negative, but why should it not? The 'opinions', as some feel this thread is focused on, are very negative in regards to what ARA is trying to do. They should do this, they should do that, my rifle is not included, this won't work this way. Do the posters read what they post?

I will support the ARA in their new class. I will welcome the new shooters I hope we have and help them even if they bring a Cricket to the line. I will follow Todd Earhart's offer as well. I always carry a back up rifle, a darn good one at that. I won my last match of the year shooting it, by a good margin. I will pack another rest as well now. You show up to a match to watch and visit and if you want to shoot, you'll have a rig from me to do so. Comes with ammo and mentoring as well.

Suffice to say, I will be a good steward to the sport and do what I can to make it grow. I won't whine about new ideas focused on growth, no matter how I feel about them. I personally know several changes were made via testing and match director input before the the incomplete information hit the streets. You guys keep theorizing about it if you wish. For me, you'll have to trump me on what I'll do to help the sport before I visit this thread again. Later.

No bait, I've posted several times that I shoot fun matches with my 52's. I shot my first one this spring and as work permitted over the summer and fall. There are only a handful of us that shoot, most of the older factory target rifles are there at some point as some of the guys I shoot with have some impressive (at least to me) collections. We have a ball and all are great friends. With the rifles I own I feel that anytime we shoot I can make a good showing for myself

I have four rifles that I consider "good" rifles and I work and save my money and buy the rifles I want. With the exception of one all of my scopes were bought used, Weaver T24's or V24's and the ammo I shoot is SK Standard Plus.

You know exactly what I meant when I posted about bringing a knife to a gun fight, and yes I know it's a match as well as you do.

I'll give the matches a shot whether it be with a 52 if permitted or the T1X and will probably shoot more as long as I feel I can be competitive.

I've seen what money does to competition that starts out being for folks new to the sport. All one has to do is look at the stock classes in drag racing.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
From what I read it'll be any scope and ammo?

A local range shoots ARA matches so I'll probably try to shoot a couple to see what they are all about. I'm competitive and like to at least have a chance of making a good showing. My Tikka T1X is the only rifle I own that will fit from my understanding. It appears to me it could be a class with $2000 scopes and $20 a box ammo. If it turns into a money race I'll be content to shoot in the back yard.
$20 box ammo maybe, but it will be an ammo chase for sure that is where you will spend the most.
assumption that a $2000 scope will make a rifle shoot better is just that. a lot of $200-600 scopes winning matches.

what I see if they can keep borderline tweaking in check, will be a ammo/shooter's game which will bring more skill into play. anyone looking to shoot this new class should be thinking AMMO! because to think X over Y rifle will shoot better is in for a big surprise

Lee
Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hopefully the rules will be finalized soon.

Last edited by justinp61; 12-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Cattleman,

I Competed in 2018 with a stock CZ and enjoyed every minute of it. I compared my scores to the other guys that were shooting similar equipment. I never placed higher than 4th overall, but learned a lot and made some Friends.

Here is a link to the Clubs in Virginia that are shooting ARA Competitions:

https://www.americanrimfire.com/inde...state=Virginia

I challenge every current ARA Competitor to bring at least one New Shooter to a Competition in 2020. That is how we will build the sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
If you want to get your feet wet, just show up with what your have. There is nothing to fear, nothing to loose and who knows, you may learn something that will help you out with your BR shooting. I use to go to the Winter indoor ARA & IR50 matches, with a Winchester 52D and a bi-pod. Finally bought a custom rifle, but held on to the bi-pod. Go, have fun and meet some great people.
Kyle. Appreciate the VA links. Thank you. All would require a hotel room. Both you and George offer good advice. Showing up with a good attitude and expectations is a good plan A.

I’d like to get my feet wet at the club level. Shoot my old rifles and learn something about BR. All I can find in the Lynchburg area is AppleSeed.

Seen Jimmies barn. Wished I lived closer as that sounds like a lot of fun.

Last edited by Cattleman30; 12-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post
Kyle. Appreciate the VA links. Thank you. All would require a hotel room. Both you and George offer good advice. Showing up with a good attitude and expectations is a good plan A.

I’d like to get my feet wet at the club level. Shoot my old rifles and learn something about BR. All I can find in the Lynchburg area is AppleSeed.

Yes, Jimmy's and Hal's barn is a great place to shoot and your welcome to come any Friday during the spring-fall months. The main reason I shoot some of the ARA and IR matches, is due to not having anyplace to shoot during the winter. The first IR matches I went to, I basically had to learn how to sit at a bench and shoot. The only way I had done it, was in a standing position, leaning on the bench. Well that was how it started. Now, I really enjoy shooting amongst some of the best in the country, it is a great deal of fun. Be open minded, don't think about winning the match, just concentrate on doing the best you can do, learn by the mistakes and try to improve.

ARA has indoor matches at The Barn at Aquadale NC about 3 hours from Lynchburg and Piney Hill at Luray 2 hrs. holds IR50 and a couple of ARA matches during the winter.

There are a couple of really good shooters in the Lynchburg area, that go to both of these winter matches. Bill Dooley and Don Kowalski. Don is also a accomplished gun builder and master machinist, has a shop out on 29, toward Rustburg. Both are really great people and are willing to help at any time.

So, plan you a trip to one, take your best rifle and ammo and give it a whirl. It is the only way to know.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post

Seeing Jimmy's barn is one thing. Meeting Jimmy is quite another! You owe it to yourself to just go over there at least once and shoot with those guys. I drove almost 3 1/2 hours one Friday to go shoot with those guys. Simply put, it was the most fun I've ever had at any shooting event in my life. And I've shot in some pretty cool shooting events! The thing that made it so great is there isn't any noise there. Just really great guys enjoying themselves and competing against one another. Yes, they will do their very best to beat you. But they're nice about it

But, aside from the competition of shooting, the people there are just good people. Will do anything for you, will help you in any way possible, but will make fun of you if you mess up! Especially George! He's an ornery cuss!

As to going to matches with factory rifles, ignore all the stuff you read and just go. Nobody is going to make fun of you, nobody is going to really even notice you. Just go and shoot. Measure how you do against the expectations you set for yourself. Shooting formal BR isn't so much about what equipment you use as it is about how much you want to invest in the sport. I've shot some pretty goofy stuff at BR matches. And I've done some pretty goofy stuff at some matches. Have won a little, have finished high a bit. But most of all, I've had a blast at almost all of the matches I've been to. Because of the people. Not because of how I shot. For me, It's never been about how I shot. For some it is, but I always looked at it as just something to do with my free time. But that's me. For you it might be something else that drives you. No matter, just go and shoot a match.

The thing is, if someone ever comes up and says something about what you're using, just say what me and my friends say..."I don't have to win, I only have to beat you!" It freaks some people out! Which always made me laugh...

The thing is with this talk about factory rifles vs custom rifles...a good factory rifle matched with good ammo for that particular day, will beat quite a few custom rifles. Even big name custom rifles. You won't beat the top dogs, not consistently. But you will do fine. So go shoot your 52's, 40x's or whatever you wish. It doesn't matter what class you're competing against, just go see what it's all about. You'll have fun, and I'd be willing to bet you will do pretty darn well. That's why I never really saw the need for a different class in ARA. You can already shoot anything you want in the matches. It always seemed to me like it was just a way for people who wanted to win a prize to feel good about shooting a gun. But that is only my opinion. If they do this, more power to them. Hope it works out and brings more shooters to the sport.

Do go shoot with George, Jimmy, Hal and the rest of their gang. But if you do, don't take any gruff from Angie. She might be the "Chaplain" of the group, but she'll still rag on you!

They shoot at Piney Hill too. But they're more focused on IR 50 and the 3 gun stuff there. They do have some unlimited matches that would allow you more leeway. And some ARA which you could bring about anything you have to shoot. But again, Piney Hill is more about 3 gun anymore. At least in my opinion. Just check their schedule and see what might work for you.

For the summer months, they used to shoot IR at Black Creek in Richmond, but that's no more. Same with Ridge near Roanoke, it's gone away. Mac See still shoots at his range but it's in Criders which is west of Harrisonburg, very close to the WVA line. Might be a trip for you if you want to go there. But worth the visit. Mac is a trip! You'd enjoy yourself! Wayne Wills shoots a lot of stuff at Kettlefoot in Bristol. Not sure how far that is for you, but he's probably got something you can shoot in, be it ARA or IR. Plus, he's a good guy. Check with him and see what he's got going on in the winter or summer leagues.

Good luck. Do go shoot, if for no reason than to see how you can do. But would really recommend you shooting at Bland at least once. Those guys know what it's all about.

Kenny

Edit: Almost forgot the main reason for my post...If you can, talk to Bill Dooley or Don K out of Lynchburg. Both are simply some of the best people you'll ever meet. Very good shooters, but better people. Bill laughs at me every time we're around one another, Don just stares like I'm from another planet... But if you can, speak to them about this. They won't steer you wrong. But if you do talk to Bill, tell him I said he's strange...it will give him a chuckle...

Last edited by kseatm; 12-08-2019 at 07:07 PM.