Barrel Tuner how to test? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Barrel Tuner how to test?

Going to try a barrel tuner on my Win. 52 C. It is a very good shooter, with a great trigger (thanks to Dokey). We have a group (old guys) that shoot bench rest games at our range. Now shooting indoor BR for the winter. I am going to try a tuner to see if it can improve my score. Where do you start? Shooting groups I would think. But how many shots per click etc.? Hope you can help. Thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 08:28 AM
rmist
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Barrel tuning... there's lots of different ways foks do this. This is how I did mine. Set tuner to zero, shoot a 2 or 3 round group. Next setting is 100, shoot a 2-3 shot group. Continue this thru 500 on setting. This will give you a good idea where to go next. Say setting 300 looks better than 200 or 400. Go to setting 250 and 350. If 250 looks better go to 275. Then go in 5 click increments either side of 275. Then go in single increments from the best 5 increment. The very best calm conditions is when you want to do this ... better yet indoors. Hope that helps.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litetrigger View Post
Going to try a barrel tuner on my Win. 52 C. It is a very good shooter, with a great trigger (thanks to Dokey). We have a group (old guys) that shoot bench rest games at our range. Now shooting indoor BR for the winter. I am going to try a tuner to see if it can improve my score. Where do you start? Shooting groups I would think. But how many shots per click etc.? Hope you can help. Thanks
Best way I have found is 3-shot groups starting at true mechanical zero, this would be the tuner turned in all the way till it stops and not where is lines up with zero at the first line index.

shoot 3-shots, then go out by 5-clicks, if the first 2-shots do not touch each other skip the 3rd shot and move on to the next adjustment. when you find a setting that looks to shoot the best. shoot 5 5-shot groups to see if it will hold up at that setting. if not keep testing.
note use the best ammo that will shoot the best without the tuner to tune with. to do otherwise will be a waste of time and be very frustrating.

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 11-28-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Litetrigger; I hope you are a patient person. According to odds the next gun I tune should tune very fast because first three took lots of expensive ammo. My guns seem to only shoot good at one setting, and shoot bad one click either way so after trying several methods without a acceptable setting I started at zero and did 3 shots at every click then going back and cking anything that looks promising. Prior to starting get a baseline of what gun does with test ammo and no tuner. Now you know the most expensive way to do it. Frustrating is one of the nicest words I would use associated with tuning a barrel/gun. Good luck Brother. PS, I shot over a brick of ammo before realizing I had a weak firing pin spring(misfires). Make sure gun is ready.

Last edited by thesandman; 11-28-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:11 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi Litetrigger; There are some "stickys" in this section that will get you started. Rimfire Benchrest 101, The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend, and The Purdy Prescription___(the Rx for tuning your tuner). There....... that ought to keep you busy for a few months. Good luck and have fun!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=320

There is another tuner sticky in this section:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=59

Last edited by ammohog; 11-28-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:56 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Litetrigger, do yourself a favor and try the Purdy Prescription. I tuned my Cooper TRP-3 using this method and it got me to within five clicks of my best setting. The reason I was off five clicks was probably due to my less than accurate measuring. I can go two or three clicks in either direction from my setting without a noticeable change in group size. You will save time, ammo and a possible headache.

Last edited by elohssa63; 11-29-2019 at 03:01 PM.