I think Vudoo is overpriced for what you get. - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Tommy, Not sure what you mean by your question. but nice target, was this in a match?

Lee
Yes it was,Notice the lack of sighters,There actually were quite a few, by few I mean like maybe 4-5 as that rifle was tuned and the 20 minutes of practice allowed me to have my rifle/ammo set-up for the range conditions at that particular match location,time,temp and conditions.

Thats why I referenced why shooting groups meant very little to me other than getting a proper initial tune on any rifle is essential,once tuned from there on any changes are usually placement of the rifle in the rest(forward/backward,etc.),choice of ammo that works best for the conditions your shooting in that day.

It's one of many reasons most guys I know have many varied ammo lots to take with them to a match as some lots will shoot differently at different locations in shooting competitions.It all can be confusing and it does take some practice on the particular targets you are firing at that particular day and time at that individual range,conditions can change over the course of 2-3 hours,shadows creep in changing range temps,moisture evaporating from the ground upwards will affect placement as well as wind conditions.

Much like NASCAR you have to have the ability to keep up with changing conditions when shooting outdoors moreso than indoors I have found,but even thats not a given.

Tommy
Old 11-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt654 View Post
Yes it was,Notice the lack of sighters,There actually were quite a few, by few I mean like maybe 4-5 as that rifle was tuned and the 20 minutes of practice allowed me to have my rifle/ammo set-up for the range conditions at that particular match location,time,temp and conditions.

Thats why I referenced why shooting groups meant very little to me other than getting a proper initial tune on any rifle is essential,once tuned from there on any changes are usually placement of the rifle in the rest(forward/backward,etc.),choice of ammo that works best for the conditions your shooting in that day.

It's one of many reasons most guys I know have many varied ammo lots to take with them to a match as some lots will shoot differently at different locations in shooting competitions.It all can be confusing and it does take some practice on the particular targets you are firing at that particular day and time at that individual range,conditions can change over the course of 2-3 hours,shadows creep in changing range temps,moisture evaporating from the ground upwards will affect placement as well as wind conditions.

Much like NASCAR you have to have the ability to keep up with changing conditions when shooting outdoors moreso than indoors I have found,but even thats not a given.

Tommy
Thanks Tommy, and as you mentioned it is the total package/setup

Lee
Old 11-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy308 View Post
AZ

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I don't know if it would work for a bi-pod rifle and it was something I didn't take into consideration.
but they have this platform I made to use for 1-piece rest so a rifle can be tested as it is shot at the bench. the front is 12.25" wide, if a rifle had a mono-pod for the rear of the stock it might be able to test under real world setup.

I am currently in the process of making another one for their OH facility, as I been told it gives great results testing BR rifles. I am thinking I could make a rear delrin post for bi-pod rifles, to duplicate a rear bag.

for a common bi-pod used on these rifles, what is the foot-print width?

Lee
Old 11-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
for a common bi-pod used on these rifles, what is the foot-print width?
My 6" to 9" tall bipod goes from 7.5" to 10" wide at the feet but that is only one measurement of concern. The other is the distance of butt to bipod.

While a typical arrangement has the bipod attached at the sling swivel stud some are attached to "spigots" that extend beyond the tip of the forearm. For example, an MDT type chassis will put the bipod about 26" from the butt while an MPA BA Competition chassis with a spigot puts it about 36" from the butt.

Last edited by Sophia; 11-16-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:22 AM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine clamps to the Arca rail. When I have mine tested, it will be the normal remove action and bolt it to their fixture.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
My 6" to 9" tall bipod goes from 7.5" to 10" wide at the feet but that is only one measurement of concern. The other is the distance of butt to bipod.

While a typical arrangement has the bipod attached at the sling swivel stud some are attached to "spigots" that extend beyond the tip of the forearm. For example, an MDT type chassis will put the bipod about 26" from the butt while an MPA BA Competition chassis with a spigot puts it about 36" from the butt.
Thanks Sophia for the information. the idea for a bi-pod rifle to be shot as it would at the range, may or may not work. the issue would be repeatability to return to battery for every shot.
I don't trust the jigs used for testing, my own experience with my 1411 was not good, even Darrell the test manager at the time thought perhaps my rifle simply did not like the jig, my own opinion is that, if not bedded to the jig there will be variances that could affect how a barreled action shoots.
IMO it would be better to clamp at the barrel, so you will see the true performance of the ammo. if you found something that shoots good this way, in my experience it will shoot good across different rifles of the same quality.

Lee
Old 11-17-2019, 01:41 PM
neangler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post

Please send me a PM when you see one of those $1500, fully loaded, Custom Benchrest Guns come up for sale. I have not seen one recently.
Me too!
Old 11-17-2019, 02:38 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
intelligent debate

Certainly good to see an exchange of opinions with both sides having strong beliefs yet no unrelated personal attacks .

My conclusion to some questions is ; ''If I have to Explain , You wouldn't Understand ".
Old 11-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neangler View Post
Me too!
Ok where you when I had this in the TP full blown custom Time action in a McMillian stock, SII 36X $1400 shipped

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 11-17-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
My point is why a Vudoo when you can buy way more accurate for less?
This thread is priceless. As Ravage said, the Vudoo was designed for an entirely different discipline in mind. To the OP, the few wallet groups you have are just that, wallet groups. My request, to separate the cream of the crop, shoot a 6x5 at 100 yds with either of your rifles and get back to us. Or better yet, bring your Suhl or Chacon to the next local NRL22 match (the discipline the Vudoo was designed around). And get back to us on that. My vudoo is worth double what I paid for it. It is hammering at local NRL matches, hanging with seasoned veterans shooting Annies, 52s, etc at local benchrest matches, and crushing at local long range silhouette matches. Here is my first and only attempt at a 6x5 at 100 yds. That is .544 for the 6 targets total and .511 for the best 5. And one shot on the bottom right kept this out of a solid .4s.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No offense, but my Kidd barrel 10/22's can do that.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Wade

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
My request, to separate the cream of the crop, shoot a 6x5 at 100 yds with either of your rifles and get back to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
No offense, but my Kidd barrel 10/22's can do that.
I'm from Missouri. Show me the target. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
This thread is priceless. As Ravage said, the Vudoo was designed for an entirely different discipline in mind. To the OP, the few wallet groups you have are just that, wallet groups. My request, to separate the cream of the crop, shoot a 6x5 at 100 yds with either of your rifles and get back to us. Or better yet, bring your Suhl or Chacon to the next local NRL22 match (the discipline the Vudoo was designed around). And get back to us on that. My vudoo is worth double what I paid for it. It is hammering at local NRL matches, hanging with seasoned veterans shooting Annies, 52s, etc at local benchrest matches, and crushing at local long range silhouette matches. Here is my first and only attempt at a 6x5 at 100 yds. That is .544 for the 6 targets total and .511 for the best 5. And one shot on the bottom right kept this out of a solid .4s.

Question, what size are those grid squares on that target? and are those 5 or 10 shot groups

Lee
Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (59)
1" squares and #6 5 shot groups

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: