I think Vudoo is overpriced for what you get. - Page 8 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:47 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I always said it's hard to cherry pick a 10 shot group at 50yds shot outdoors.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:57 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
...By the by, is this thread still about how the Vudoo is overpriced? Dumbest reason I ever heard to start a thread but it was humorous to read all the obvious responses!

This!

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lee

If you don't shoot groups, how are you going to setup your rifle for competition?

That is what I said Lee,Shooting groups are great for testing ammo in a certain environment.If the ammo won't group then there is little reason to utilize it in a competition anyways.How you go about setting up a rifle for competition has many,many factors involved.Conditions at all ranges are not the same,but coming on here to post groups only shot in still,calm conditions will tell you very little about how a certain type of ammo will perform in the field,but it is a great starting point

if you use a tuner how are you going to set it?

That is also relevant to those who utilize a tuner,just another factor in setting up your rifle to shoot in a competition.If you do not have a properly tuned rifle it will not perform to it's best capabilitys.It has to be proven in actual competition in order to see how it will respond to different conditions,wind,no wind,heat,humidity,altitiude,range conditions will all play a factor.

I guess all individuals should go out and shoot some rounds during what we usually call a 10/20 min. practice time before a match to see what if any necessary changes are needed to get the best performance in a realtime scenario,which is what I am saying.I do not go to competitions to see how my rifle will group as we do not shoot groups for score. I test in my practice time frame to see how it will respond as I move from target to target in the ARA or IR 50/50 matchs that I compete in and will adjust as needed before a match to get the best performance I can out of my rifle.Simply shooting a few groups really only tells me that the rifle/ammo combination will hit the target at that specific point of aim at that particular time.I need to see how the rifle responds to time limits as well as conditions prevelent to the time and range conditions which over the course of a match can change dramatically at times.

Guess it really depends on what discipline you are competing in tho.I haven't shot anything but ARA/IR50/50 benchrest in the last 5 yrs so it can be a different game entirely if your shooting a different target than what I am I'll gladly concede that point If all you are shooting for score is a group size or a larger target scored differently than the 2 disciplines I compete in I would agree you should test groups far more often than mine,either way it's a lot of fun
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt654 View Post
Lee

If you don't shoot groups, how are you going to setup your rifle for competition?

That is what I said Lee,Shooting groups are great for testing ammo in a certain environment.If the ammo won't group then there is little reason to utilize it in a competition anyways.How you go about setting up a rifle for competition has many,many factors involved.Conditions at all ranges are not the same,but coming on here to post groups only shot in still,calm conditions will tell you very little about how a certain type of ammo will perform in the field,but it is a great starting point

if you use a tuner how are you going to set it?

That is also relevant to those who utilize a tuner,just another factor in setting up your rifle to shoot in a competition.If you do not have a properly tuned rifle it will not perform to it's best capabilitys.It has to be proven in actual competition in order to see how it will respond to different conditions,wind,no wind,heat,humidity,altitiude,range conditions will all play a factor.

I guess all individuals should go out and shoot some rounds during what we usually call a 10/20 min. practice time before a match to see what if any necessary changes are needed to get the best performance in a realtime scenario,which is what I am saying.I do not go to competitions to see how my rifle will group as we do not shoot groups for score. I test in my practice time frame to see how it will respond as I move from target to target in the ARA or IR 50/50 matchs that I compete in and will adjust as needed before a match to get the best performance I can out of my rifle.Simply shooting a few groups really only tells me that the rifle/ammo combination will hit the target at that specific point of aim at that particular time.I need to see how the rifle responds to time limits as well as conditions prevelent to the time and range conditions which over the course of a match can change dramatically at times.

Guess it really depends on what discipline you are competing in tho.I haven't shot anything but ARA/IR50/50 benchrest in the last 5 yrs so it can be a different game entirely if your shooting a different target than what I am I'll gladly concede that point If all you are shooting for score is a group size or a larger target scored differently than the 2 disciplines I compete in I would agree you should test groups far more often than mine,either way it's a lot of fun
Tommy, I rarely shoot groups now with exception in testing lots. I have shot ARA down in AZ both times during the State Championships. finished 2nd and 3rd
I mainly shoot RBA, not sanctioned but at least it is a match under rules.

I also shoot side matches 50 & 100 yds. using CF sanctioned rules 5 bulls in 7-minutes Hunter and Groundhog format, groundhog can't use flags.
as far as my rifles I don't have to make tuner adjustments, even when shooting to 100yds. my 1411's tuner has not been moved in 3-years at least.

I posted the targets to show any rifle can shoot small groups, and what should be realized is that ammo is the most important factor. some of the claims in this thread is just that, I haven't seen anything to compare with.

Lee
Old 11-15-2019, 07:06 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lee,I agree ammo and the barrel are usually the most important factor when shooting in a comp.If you don't mind scroll back to that pic I posted of that 2400 and tell me what you don't see

I may move my tuner a click ot two but usually very little of much either way
Old 11-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt654 View Post
Lee,I agree ammo and the barrel are usually the most important factor when shooting in a comp.If you don't mind scroll back to that pic I posted of that 2400 and tell me what you don't see

I may move my tuner a click ot two but usually very little of much either way
Tommy, Not sure what you mean by your question. but nice target, was this in a match?

Lee
Old 11-15-2019, 10:20 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some may call them overpriced. Thats cool, but for those who want something more than a benchrest gun with a big ole tuner on the end (which would get banged all to Heck in a PRS match) its great. I now have a mini version of my .308 match rifle. My wife and I both have 1 and shooting these prarrie dog targets at 50 yards is a blast.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy308 View Post
Some may call them overpriced. Thats cool, but for those who want something more than a benchrest gun with a big ole tuner on the end (which would get banged all to Heck in a PRS match) its great. I now have a mini version of my .308 match rifle. My wife and I both have 1 and shooting these prarrie dog targets at 50 yards is a blast.

That looked like fun, I shoot what is call groundhog matches at 100yds.
this group was the allowed warm-up back to back 5-shot groups at 100yds.shot this past Sunday.

actual scored target 7-minute time limit 5-shots at 100yds.

and this is how my tuner looks like not very big and only weighs 4.365 oz. are tuners allowed in PRS matches?

Lee
Old 11-15-2019, 11:17 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post

this group was the allowed warm-up back to back 5-shot groups at 100yds.shot this past Sunday.

actual scored target 7-minute time limit 5-shots at 100yds.

and this is how my tuner looks like not very big and only weighs 4.365 oz. are tuners allowed in PRS matches?

Lee
There are no rules against it. It just seems that something that needs to be fine tuned might not do to well when you bang your muzzle on a baricade during a stage. I have used mine out to 300 yards regularly. Its fun watching the bullet impact. I was shooting off my tripod today and shot this 40 round group at 100 yards while my .308 was cooling (doing load development) just to pass the time. I did pull a few but thats my fault.

Last edited by gunguy308; 11-15-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:34 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Lee
That would be tough to top Lee. Dang you can shoot.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:44 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
There are no rules against it. It just seems that something that needs to be fine tuned might not do to well when you bang your muzzle on a baricade during a stage. I have used mine out to 300 yards regularly. Its fun watching the bullet impact. I was shooting off my tripod today and shot this 40 round group at 100 yards while my .308 was cooling (doing load development) just to pass the time. I did pull a few but thats my fault.

I think if it can be avoided (banging the muzzle) a tuner like what I use would really wake up the rifle as far as being consistent.
those shots you say you pulled more than likely were ammo related, not too many lots that shoot well at 50 will hold up at 100. I have to try that, shooting more than 10-shots at 100yds.
my best group to date at 100yds. SK rifle match

if that one shot had not gone out

Lee
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
That would be tough to top Lee. Dang you can shoot.
I do ok, I am very fortunate I got a really good barrel and Evelio did a great chamber on it. but like I have said before ammo is the key, match it to the chamber and you will get good results.
this rifle always amazes me when I shoot it and to think it is basically a parts gun only the receiver is original.

Lee
Old 11-15-2019, 11:52 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think if it can be avoided (banging the muzzle) a tuner like what I use would really wake up the rifle as far as being consistent.

those shots you say you pulled more than likely were ammo related, not too many lots that shoot well at 50 will hold up at 100. I have to try that, shooting more than 10-shots at 100yds.

my best group to date at 100yds. SK rifle match

if that one shot had not gone out

Lee
Trust me, I was moving a fair bit. With SK Standard Plus it groups around .75 moa at 100 yards and that was with a right to left wind. I have yet to run Lapua center X at 100 yards for groups on paper with the bipod and rear bag. Im gonna stop by the Lapua ammo test center in the near future and have them run the whole line up through it. The center is a 45min drive for me.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Trust me, I was moving a fair bit. With SK Standard Plus it groups around .75 moa at 100 yards and that was with a right to left wind. I have yet to run Lapua center X at 100 yards for groups on paper with the bipod and rear bag. Im gonna stop by the Lapua ammo test center in the near future and have them run the whole line up through it. The center is a 45min drive for me.

Is this the center in AZ or OH ? I am hoping to go in February. there is some really good CX out there too. I just bought 90 boxes from Good Shooting that shoots as good as the lots I got from Lapua last February.

Lee
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 AM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Is this the center in AZ or OH ? I am hoping to go in February. there is some really good CX out there too. I just bought 90 boxes from Good Shooting that shoots as good as the lots I got from Lapua last February.

Lee
AZ