Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
You and I and many others here have a vested interest in ensuring the NRA survives this lawsuit Mike. Letitia James the New York AG has made two things perfectly clear. She thinks the NRA is a terrorist organization and she is going to make every effort to dissolve our organization. LaPierre may be the center of her bullseye but her target is us, all of us.
Indeed. There are two issues that overlap, but are clearly different.

Opponents of the 2d Am. right don't care about NRA internal politics or whether we deserve bankruptcy protection or whether LaPierre makes a lot of money. They want the NRA gone primarily to erase the influence of gun owners over legislators. (In the courts, other organizations are more effective.)

The issues those opponents present is whether their gambit will succeed.

The other issue is internal and involves how the NRA is run, how its resources are used, and even whether people like LaPierre personally.

In large non-profits of every stripe, the CEO makes a lot of money. The people who can do it are rare and you don't get people with rare skills for less than competitive pay.

I don't like LaPierre as an advocate. He is a strangely inarticulate person. (This raises the issue of whether the CEO should also be the spokesman.) I also don't love the way the NRA is run.

I do like the way the NRA can effectively endorse or oppose candidates for office. That's also what Letitia James and her client don't like about it.

Last edited by zukiphile; 05-17-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
We are in total agreement that LaPierre is a disease that needs to be carved out of our association. If you think I want him to remain involved, you misunderstand me. He is most certainly reaping the benefits of good members doing good things, whether that be instructors like myself or all those fighting for our rights.

Where we differ is in the belief that we need to get rid of the NRA in order to get rid of him. Starving the NRA to death is throwing out the baby with the bath water. There has to be another way. I will continue to write letters and send emails expressing my displeasure. What I won't do is quit.

I will continue to fight for what I see as an extremely valuable tool against Tyranny in this country. We must stick together. As mentioned, state laws everywhere do not accept any other group as a training and qualification alternative to their mandated requirements. I wish those requirements didn't exist in the first place, but that is an entirely different argument for another day. Divide and conquer is what they do, and is exactly what is happening with the help of Wayne and his antics.

R
Not wanting to starve it to death, rather send it to bed without dinner until it corrects its behavior.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
You and I and many others here have a vested interest in ensuring the NRA survives this lawsuit Mike. Letitia James the New York AG has made two things perfectly clear. She thinks the NRA is a terrorist organization and she is going to make every effort to dissolve our organization. LaPierre may be the center of her bullseye but her target is us, all of us.

We're all in agreement that LaPierre has worn out his welcome. However this harping on suits and planes and fancy trips is counter productive. I don't know what his negotiated benefits package entails but many large corporations include a smorgasbord of perks to entice executives. For all we know there is a handsome clothing and travel allowance in his contract which would be perfectly legal as long as he reports and pays income tax on it.

This is an ideological war being fought on many fronts and at this moment the anti-rights activists are emboldened and they're coming for us. We would do well to stand together united and put our money where our mouths are.

Frank
You should join GOA.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:18 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
You should join GOA.
I just did Mike, thanks for the push. Yearly for now but I see a life membership in the future.

We all vote with our wallets.

Frank
Old 05-17-2021, 01:28 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Joining GOA, Gun Owners of America

Thanks all for the suggestion. I just joined as a life member. Does anyone know if they will issue me a number ? I wrote and asked but have no reply yet. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:34 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
They sent me an email stating I'd get a membership packet in 1 to 2 weeks David.

I assume the membership card with member number will be included along with a bunch of come ons ads for knives and flashlights

Frank
Old 05-17-2021, 02:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:

I assume the membership card with member number will be included along with a bunch of come ons ads for knives and flashlights
If you don't get a cheap range bag, you were robbed.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:44 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Not wanting to starve it to death, rather send it to bed without dinner until it corrects its behavior.
Well, we can sorta, kinda agree on that to somewhat send a message. Do I think it is the best way and only way, no. As I alluded to several times, when we defund the NRA we are not just defunding the bad things, but also defunding the good things.

I am not trying to be confrontational. It may come off that way because I am very passionate about this issue. Our Constitutional rights (All of them are in jeopardy without the 2ndA), all the firearm training, legislative lobbying, court battles (Heller was HUGE!), and unity as gun owners that it has been the backbone of the NRA for 150 years will also suffer.

As a matter of fact, the legislative part is relatively new because gun rights were never under attack for the first 60 years or so. It has never been more important than now.

- Formed in 1871 by two Civil War Veterans who witnessed the typical soldier's inability to handle guns.

Since then, gun safety and legislative efforts have gained speed out of necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Thanks all for the suggestion. I just joined as a life member. Does anyone know if they will issue me a number ? I wrote and asked but have no reply yet. Thanks.
Yes you will get a membership ID number. It will be in the address box on your choice of magazine.

Quote:
They sent me an email stating I'd get a membership packet in 1 to 2 weeks David.

I assume the membership card with member number will be included along with a bunch of come on ads for knives and flashlights

Frank
Yep!

R
Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been following this thread ever since it started and decided I would throw in my $0.02.

I have been an annual member since the 60's; just too much of a tightwad to become a life member, I suppose.

But it saddens me to hear about people who renounce their life (or other) membership, whether a president of the United States or otherwise.

I ask myself, "Where would we be without the 2A?". As far as I know, the U. S. is the only country with such. Thank Goodness.

I also ask myself, "What would be left of the 2A without the NRA?"

As far as backpacks, knives, etc., I have enough, so I just check the box "Do not send gift" when I send a donation. I do, however, really like the NRA flag that they once sent me as a gift.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:56 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

Frank
I believe you will be pleasantly disappointed. I have never received any of those things from GOA. What I do receive are updates on legal actions they are pursuing. GOA is like a pit bull. If anyone attacks the 2A, they are on them with a lawsuit like stink on you know what. They also send very helpful, IMO, "Take Action" e-mails on issues relevant to the 2A that allow you to easily send messages to your Senators and Congressmen with a couple mouse clicks and have pre-prepared messages that you can edit if you wish. Very focused organization that runs much leaner than the NRA. I feel confident that the money I send them gets used for its intended purpose. I am a Life Member, but I also have a recurring automatic monthly contribution. I urge you all to do the same.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:01 AM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Been following this thread ever since it started and decided I would throw in my $0.02.

I have been an annual member since the 60's; just too much of a tightwad to become a life member, I suppose.

But it saddens me to hear about people who renounce their life (or other) membership, whether a president of the United States or otherwise.

I ask myself, "Where would we be without the 2A?". As far as I know, the U. S. is the only country with such. Thank Goodness.

As far as backpacks, knives, etc., I have enough, so I just check the box "Do not send gift" when I send a donation. I do, however, really like the NRA flag that they once sent me as a gift.
Well said Sir...
Old 05-18-2021, 09:52 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post

But you also need to ask yourself "How much more effective would the NRA be if it used its resources to protect the 2A instead of buying $3,000 suits, private jets and luxury safaris for a megalomaniac?" Some of what I am reading in this thread sounds a lot like the rationalizations some people make for staying in abusive relationships.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:57 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If one opponent quits the other wins.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
If one opponent quits the other wins.
You are rationalizing. Nobody is talking about quitting. If one opponent fails because of financial mismanagement, the other wins. Getting rid of LaPierre and the bloated board would help to ensure the survival of the NRA, not its demise, but that will not happen without motivation from the membership. Stop feeding the machine until there is change.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I must say that this has been a very interesting thread, and will continue to follow it.
As a life member, I still stand by my pro-NRA / anti- LP posting at the beginning.

The analogy that works for me, is that if I very much like a truck but the driver is in the process of driving it off a cliff; should I stand in solidarity or do what I can to save the truck ?

Quote:
[...] If one opponent fails because of financial mismanagement, the other wins. [...]
WLP has put the NRA into a very precarious position indeed; due to unethical behavior, deception, and fraud.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 05-18-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Closed Thread