Cistus Tea to prevent tick bites - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:45 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Cistus Tea to prevent tick bites

Cistus Tea has been in use to help prevent ticks from attaching to dogs and humans since Roman times. I drink about 12 oz, once per week and it really seems to work. I put about 1/2 teaspoon of honey in to make it more palatable. I have an 18 pound indoor outdoor dog and she gets the last oz or so from mine. Without the honey she won't drink it but with it she laps it right up. I do occasionally find a tick on her but they haven't been well attached so they are much easier to remove than in the past.

Until I found this stuff late last summer both she and I were tick magnets averaging about one per day for me and thee to ten a day for her. So far this year I've not had a bite and she's only had 4 or 5 spread over two months. I do wear "ElimiTick" clothing from Gamehide if I'm going to be outside in the woods for any length of time and that stuff is great. While on my tractor one day last year a tick dropped off of a tree onto my leg. I've never seen acrobatics like that tick did trying to get off of those pants, you would have thought his feet were on fire.

Last edited by PigButtons; 05-09-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:56 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
A second remedy that I concocted for insect bites of all kinds is to take half a bottle of Anbesol tooth pain medicine and add about 1/4 teaspoon of crushed up under arm stick deodorant. Shake it up until fairly well blended and just put a small drop of the resulting blend onto the bite and rub it in well. The Anbesol relieves the itch and the deodorant fights the bacteria. I'm not a doctor and this product has not been evaluated by the FDA, ( thank God for both ).
Old 05-14-2021, 06:37 AM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigButtons View Post
Cistus Tea has been in use to help prevent ticks from attaching to dogs and humans since Roman times. I drink about 12 oz, once per week and it really seems to work. I put about 1/2 teaspoon of honey in to make it more palatable. I have an 18 pound indoor outdoor dog and she gets the last oz or so from mine. Without the honey she won't drink it but with it she laps it right up. I do occasionally find a tick on her but they haven't been well attached so they are much easier to remove than in the past.

Until I found this stuff late last summer both she and I were tick magnets averaging about one per day for me and thee to ten a day for her. So far this year I've not had a bite and she's only had 4 or 5 spread over two months. I do wear "ElimiTick" clothing from Gamehide if I'm going to be outside in the woods for any length of time and that stuff is great. While on my tractor one day last year a tick dropped off of a tree onto my leg. I've never seen acrobatics like that tick did trying to get off of those pants, you would have thought his feet were on fire.
I have never heard of Cistus Tea. Thank you for sharing that. I am going to get some and try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2021, 10:50 AM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. I've put in a query about Cistus Tea as a tick repellent with some other groups. I have read "stories" of Cistus Tea's benefits. But, these were associated with sites selling herbal goods. So, who knows. Sure sounds promising.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've heard of taking garlic (internally) but I don't know how well that works....against bugs or girls.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:23 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
I've heard of taking garlic (internally) but I don't know how well that works....against bugs or girls.
Had a friend who went overboard on garlic everything causing my wonderment how he ever had kids, until I caught a whiff of his wife's breath which smelled as bad as his! He didn't play in tick country but garlic sure came out in his breath and probably his sweat glands/skin pores.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 05-16-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 AM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Had a friend who went overboard on garlic everything causing my wonderment how he ever had kids, until I caught a wife of his wife's breath which smelled as bad as his! He didn't play in tick country but garlic sure came out in his breath and probably his sweat glands/skin pores.
Garlic is one of those unique plants that can penetrate the skin and be taken up into the blood stream. One of my friends in High School thought it was cute to smell things up with garlic, but he hated the taste. He found that putting a crushed clove of garlic in one of his shoes gave him just the aroma he was looking for. And NO, he was not very popular with the girls.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:08 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
W.L. Weller internally, 1 oz per tick.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wonder if instead of using punked up UA deodorant to make the goo if you could use hand sanitizer. The anti-bac function you want and an easier 'carrier' to mix?
Fwiw, I gave up on UA deodorant some years back as just not very effective for me. Since then I do the hand-san clean up underarm, rub up well and a tissue wipe, then a other dose rubbed in. Not just my opinion, my wife says it works.
Ive taken to using it as a first go on small wounds, scrapes, insect bites, etc. with satisfaction. Its handy.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:16 AM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know in So. Missouri you can get ticks just walking through the gravel certain times of year. My friend down there puts chain saw oil on his pant cuffs.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max503 View Post
I know in So. Missouri you can get ticks just walking through the gravel certain times of year. My friend down there puts chain saw oil on his pant cuffs.

Does the tea work on blackflies which are out here now?
Old 05-18-2021, 03:34 PM
WadeMod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The black flies are awful. When in Texas last year they managed to bite me through 2 layers of socks. I joked with the rancher that hosted me stating ”I now know why Texans are so friendly.... they're swatting at flies”
Old 05-18-2021, 05:16 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeMod View Post
The black flies are awful. When in Texas last year they managed to bite me through 2 layers of socks. I joked with the rancher that hosted me stating ”I now know why Texans are so friendly.... they're swatting at flies”
Did you mean:
Stable flies aka beach flies?.... the ones that look similar to house flies but drive humans and animals bonkers because of their ability to drill thru animal hides?

Yankee blackflies look like big gnats and leaves a small blood scab after they have their fill, often in the head hairline.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:20 PM
WadeMod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Did you mean:
Stable flies aka beach flies?.... the ones that look similar to house flies but drive humans and animals bonkers because of their ability to drill thru animal hides?

Yankee blackflies look like big gnats and leaves a small blood scab after they have their fill, often in the head hairline.
Maybe, Man do they hurt!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:12 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeMod View Post
Maybe, Man do they hurt!
I looked them up a couple years ago and their drilling bit looks like it has the same head as a rock drilling tool, whereas its a round headed rasp of sorts with lots of teeth for rasping thru hides as tough as farm animals. We used to have a deer pen at the city zoo and once in awhile one of the deer would just up and break loose into a full on run to try and escape the dang things. The flies would even find us miles away from shore out on L Superior and we keep several fly swatters in our fishing boat specifically for em as we get em bad here. The rest of the story.