Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Tack Driving Game

39K views 60 replies 41 participants last post by  WNYBill 
#1 ·
The Tack Driving game is a fun way to test your equipment and skills. I've seen the game played by several groups here on RFC, but never with the Savage crowd. I'm not proposing a formal contest, but offering a place to post your targets should you be interested in tack shooting.

+ Use any ammo
+ Shoot at 25 or 50 yards
+ Post a pic of the target
+ One shot per tack
+ Must break inner ring to qualify as driven.
+ Use a round to plug the hole if it's too close to call. Must be in the white.

Link to 25 or 50 yard target:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8DjnMJIX0p9Y2VwUHJwLVp1NGc/view?pli=1

This is my first submission from 25 yards. I used my MKII FV-SR from a bipod and rear sand bag. Optic is fixed 10X. Ammo is Eley Target.

See less See more
#32 ·
I printed out some targets and went to the range yesterday. My Savage MKll-BV just didn't seem to like the ammo I brought, and I needed to adjust my comb height for a relaxed hold. The wind was blowing my targets back and forth a bit, enough to make me laugh. But I shot the MKll more than I have in a while and started having extraction issues. Time to search the board for fixes!

#39 ·
Hello everyone,

I just found this thread and printed out several copies of the target. Out of curiosity I used a caliper to measure the O.D. of the circle and the best that I could see it was .382". Not trying to be technical but wanting to make sure that my printer is printing each target to scale. I have just completed putting together a Savage Mark II FV SR on a Boyds AT-One stock and hope to do a lot of benchrest target shooting and these targets look like a real challenge.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

#45 · (Edited)
These targets are way too much fun. Usually shoot one or two a week at the 25 yard range.
Think this one measures out to be best I have ever done. This one was with MY savage MKii FV. Love this rifle for the $$$ now that I have my extraction issues sorted. Shoots every bit as good or near enuff to my CZ 457 Canadian (the cz is way nicer looking though lol). But this is just a cheap rifle with a cheek riser and a cheap bushnell banner scope. And it shoots **** near as well as the $700 CZ. What’s not to love.

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Circle
Machine gun Air gun Dress Trigger Wood

#54 ·
I have a new B22 precision that shot great the first 2 times I took it to the range and got progressively worse with every visit. Tried over a dozen different types of ammo and 3 scopes but it just kept getting worse. Sent it back to Savage for repair, yesterday was 5 weeks since they received it. Hope to get it back soon and even more hope it's fixed.

Once I do have it back I will definitely try this tack driver game, looks fun!

#51 ·
I took the barrel channel insert out to free float the barrel. #2 was typical before, occasionally got a 3/8 group at 50. This was shot at 40 and if you toss the flier out, #2 is 3/8" C2C. I think I'm going to get a pic rail bubble level and shoot the 25. My 3-9 scope has a thick reticle and seeing a 1/4" dot at 50 is a challenge.
Facial expression Font Art Circle Symbol

#53 ·
I'm shooting a B22 FVSR 22lr with CCI SSHPs. I bought some eley match and aguila match to try, but am conserving them till I get the Boyd Pro Varmint stock on it and bedded.

#55 · (Edited)
I have some better ammo to try, but even if the Eley match does shoot better, I'm not spending the cash to shoot it regularly, so it won't really matter. I suppose that as long as CCI subsonic HPs shoot minute of mouse or chipmunk at 50yds, I'll be happy. I wouldn't mind putting a bore scope down the barrel to see what it looks like. I've got 500-600 rounds through it now, it might need a more thorough cleaning than a nylon bore brush and a few patches with Hoppes #9 is giving it.

Edit... yea, it needed a cleaning badly. I got one of those maligned tornado brushes and a few bronze ones and gave it a thorough scrubbing. It was nasty. It'll be interesting to shoot some groups again to see if it tightened back up.

#57 ·
My most recent attempt was yesterday.
Shooting my Savage A22f that I put into a Boyd’s AT ONE stock. Has a MDT rail a Bushnell Prime 4-12x40. And just installed a Jared 1.5lbs trigger on it (awesome feel but I need to modify as it presently prevents bolt removal without removing trigger group). Loaded with Eley Contact. Weather was 0*c light snowing and very light wind.

Water Font Liquid Art Tints and shades
Water Font Liquid Art Tints and shades

#61 ·
I would like some information from folks who are running "Tack Driving" completion. We ae always looking for fun, fund raisers for our club. We are going to try 50 and 100 yards and are going to use 1.5" bulls/0.5 X ring for both ranges. Anybody got suggestions or experience?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.