Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:15 PM
RimfireFun

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is it about the .22Mag, (for me anyway)?

Although none of my four such firearms (Brno 611, Marlin 922M, Ruger Amer. Rimfire 8364, & Rough Rider revolver are as precisely accurate as my trusty old marlin 880ss, they all (except the RR) usually get the job done when it comes to small game at 80 yards, sometimes a bit more. Cost of the ammo is not an issue for me, and I have no need for one of the .22 centerfires, nor do I wish to take up reloading to save a little $ on ammo for same. I enjoy shooting all of them at the range, despite not usually shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. It is obvious to me, judging by the 1,000s of shooters who own guns chambered in .22mag, the 1000s of such rifles out there (more made every year) and the 10s of thousands of rounds made every year, that many shooters feel the way many of us do about this fine cartridge.

I have a .17HMR which shoots dead nuts on, but still, it's one of my .22 mags I usually take to the woods, fields, and range.

@Granite3: Seems we each have a common appreciation for the Brno611 and Marlin 922M.

Last edited by RimfireFun; 06-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 PM
rice paddy daddy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife and I have a small farm in a rural area.
Both of us carry a handgun whenever we are outside. For rattlesnakes, 4 legged critters after the chickens, and for the odd rabid animal coming out of the treeline.

The wife carries a .38, I prefer something smaller. A 22 WMR out of a handgun gives me more power than a 22 LR out of a rifle, in a pocket size package.

I have three Heritage Manufacturing revolvers, and two Ruger Single Sixes.
I am partial to Winchester Super X 40 grain JSP's.

I also have one rifle in that chambering, a Savage Model 93 bolt action, left handed, wood stock. I put a cheap 4X fixed scope and with the crummy pre-AccuTrigger trigger I can still get 1" groups at 75 yards.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:34 PM
ThreeCrows

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I currently have my Winchester 9422M XTR and a Ruger Single Six with the magnum cylinder and enjoy both and would never sell either. I have killed coyotes, raccoons, foxes and even a few medium size hogs no problem.

I love .22 Magnum, I love .17 HMR more but the .22M is a very useful cartridge, perhaps more so than the .17 HMR.