Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:05 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
This is one of the most nit picky threads I've read here. If that gun fires without issue, I'd just enjoy it. The Ruger Mark II was never meant to compete with the fit and finish of a Smith and Wesson 41. That is a standard model. It was a direct buck mark competitor. Maybe $200 to $250 new back in the day. A minor blemish here and there is not a big deal unless you are obsessing about every little scratch on a working gun. It is not a pristine example, but it is an excellent one no less.
Thank you, my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent three barrels to Ruger a few months ago to have them D&T'd and when they came back, I may have switched two of the frames by mistake. Upon re-assembly one of them had gaps like in the OP's original photos showed along the sides of the frame and the barrel rocked back and forth a bit. After a bit of research I found that this is not uncommon with older models which have been disassembled for cleaning many times which can cause the frame to bend outwards a bit. The remedy was to carefully squeeze the frame sans barrel in a vise a little at a time until the gap is reduced and the wobble disappeared. After doing this, I was back to having to use the mallet to tap the barrel back onto the frame and it lined up level again.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:49 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
This is one of the most nit picky threads I've read here. If that gun fires without issue, I'd just enjoy it. The Ruger Mark II was never meant to compete with the fit and finish of a Smith and Wesson 41. That is a standard model. It was a direct buck mark competitor. Maybe $200 to $250 new back in the day. A minor blemish here and there is not a big deal unless you are obsessing about every little scratch on a working gun. It is not a pristine example, but it is an excellent one no less.
I guess I don't really see anyone obsessing about the aesthetics of this pistol. The OP asked a question. Based on the pictures provided, it appears that the barrel/receiver assembly may not be seating properly on the frame. That could present a dangerous situation for the shooter. What I do see is several people trying to help the OP assess his pistol to determine if that is, in fact, the case. Just because it shoots once with no problems doesn't mean it will twice.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
I guess I don't really see anyone obsessing about the aesthetics of this pistol. The OP asked a question. Based on the pictures provided, it appears that the barrel/receiver assembly may not be seating properly on the frame. That could present a dangerous situation for the shooter. What I do see is several people trying to help the OP assess his pistol to determine if that is, in fact, the case. Just because it shoots once with no problems doesn't mean it will twice.
Thank You HSG, my thoughts exactly!!

Ted
Old 07-01-2020, 06:46 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my seconding of rc's comments. All I am saying is that when I saw the first pictures that the OP provided, my first thoughts were, "what a nice Ruger MKII, blueing appears to be almost 100 % and there doesn't appear to be hardly any wear whatsoever". And then when I saw some follow up pictures I didn't see much to make me change my mind. I don't know if the OP intends to contact Ruger or not, but I hope so. That's about the only thing that is going to give us much more of a feel about the situation. Best wishes on a satisfactory outcome for the OP.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

We all have different experiences and certainly, differences of opinions (a very good thing)!

Dale (seems to be a busy person) does need to answer some of the questions posted...like did that gap pictured exist before being torn down? Till we get a response to this and other member questions posted, it is difficult to offer better (if any) answers to the issue at hand.

If "Shipment to Ruger" is the best scenario, then that option does exist! Maybe, some of us have taken this situation "too curiously" in trying to offer the OP some solutions!?! IMHO however, if a member chooses to ask, then they need to be ready to participate in the feedback dialogue!!

Everyone have a Safe and Happy 4th!!!

Ted
Old 07-01-2020, 07:40 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
IMHO however, if a member chooses to ask, then they need to be ready to participate in the feedback dialogue!!

Everyone have a Safe and Happy 4th!!!

Ted
Yes, I agree.