Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What can you tell me about Schultz and Larsen?

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  tim slater 
#1 ·
I'm traveling for work in western MI and came across an LGS with about a dozen or so of these S&L target rifles with various peep sights and heavy target stocks, all priced at $300. Since RFC doesn't have a dedicated forum for that make I thought I would come here where I feel most comfortable, and ask a few questions. I've been craving an open sight rifle for some time and am willing to pay decent $ for the right option, without breaking the bank, but I don't want to end up in a money pit trying to build something that I could have bought off the shelf. What's the general consensus on the brand in general? These rifles all appear to be the same model with variations on sights and stocks. Anything I should look for or away from?

Thanks in advance,
Doug Jackson

#10 ·
If you don't mind saying, what's the name of the lgs? I live in west Michigan.
Sorry I missed this question but others have answered it. On Target in Kalamazoo is where they are. They have a couple that are very tricked out with butt hooks and set triggers. $700 for those though. I was traveling up there for work. Went back last week and ended up picking one up. I didn't bore-sight it but chose the one with the smoothest action. I hope it is in good shape when I get it in. I had to dealer transfer to TN so it'll be a few days.

#5 ·
You musta been through On Target Sports In Kalamazoo!

While I do not own a Shultz and Larsen, a number of my fellow competitors do real well with them. A number of those rifles were purchased at On Target in Kalamazoo.

If you are considering one, take a borescope or a light source, some of them have pitted barrels and bring a patchworm and ask them if you can clean the bore out to take a look. Pay close attention to the muzzle as well. A number of them were shortened and will need a touch up on the crown because the gunsmith did not remove the burrs. I have no idea why some of them were shortened but look at a number of muzzles and you can see the difference between the original barrel and the shortened ones.

If you get one and want to put in a rear aperture, you may need to rethread them because some of the rifles have buggered up threads. No big deal, just need to get the correct tap for the metric aperture.

At 300 bucks those things are a steal but you may have to do some clean up work on the muzzle and the aperture threads. When they got those rifles in five years or so ago, they had a number of "select" models at a higher price with all manor o butt hooks, palm rests, cheek pads, etc. They were priced from $400 to $700 although the extra "stuff" was amusing to observe. the palm rest were best described as a extra wood "Fish Belly" added by the worst student in the high school shop class. Most of the extra's were loose and ready to fall off so you didn't miss out on anything.

ONe last thing, if you do get one, consider stripping all the gunk and finish off the stock. there are some nice pieces of walnut hiding in there!

Let me know if you get one and if you head back through lansing, let me know and we can go out shooting.

Regards,

Crankster

#6 ·
They are a nice rifle but.

More information.

Personally, I have shot a Shultz and Larsen and while they are a nice rifle, there are a number of rifles in that price range that I would consider before purchase.

I own a savage-Anschutz, three Kimber model 82g, a Remington 513t, and a Winchester 52c. I have also shot Remington 40x and a number of the better Anschutz.

Personally, I would see if I could compare the Schutz and Larsen with a Kimber 82 g but that is my personal preference. The 82g seams to fit me perfectly and the weight is about right for me as well. the Winchester 52 c is nice too but a bit more pricy.

Regards,
Crankster

#8 ·
Although I am not familiar with Kimber rifles, I don't know if the comparison with Schultz and Larsen is fair. Schultz and Larsen smallbore rifles have not been produced since 1992, when production ended. The M70 and M77 rifles often seen in North America were often club rifles that have seen a fair bit of use. No doubt some were sold new here. The free rifles, the Models 45, 46, 49, 61, and 71 are seen here less often. But they are older rifles, many of which were shot competitively.

The free rifles especially are well made and are testimony to the craftsmanship that made them. At the same time, shooters considering S&L rifles should be aware that they are not grooved for sights or optics except for the Model 71 and perhaps the 88. Nor do they eject spent casing (with the exceptions noted above), although that doesn't diminish their quality at all.

Here are some of the rifles referred to above:

The M49

The M61

The M70

The M71

#9 ·
I get to On Target about once or twice a year and was there a few days ago. I noticed those S & L. Not nearly as many as they had a few years back.

#11 ·
I have looked at a number of these at a LGS and they do look like club guns priced in that $300-450 range. I might have tried one but since not drilled and tapped I pass them up. I believe they have about 5 or 6 on the rack right now. Davenport Guns, Davenport, Ia if you are interested. I am in no way affiliated with this business.

I better add, a couple of these have had the stocks shortened and I think 1 or 2 are also cracked.

#12 ·
I'm from Australia and recently purchased a Schultz & Larsen 22 LR which I believe is a Model 61, reading some of the threads here the M 61 had only the 1 extractor and also the double locking lug on the bolt as per attached photo's.
There appears to be some very knowledgeable people on these threads and with so little information available for older Schultz & Larsen rifles any information would be greatly appreciated.
The previous owner had it in storage for a quite a while so yet to give it a good clean & possibly re-blue as starting to show signs of corrosion.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Below is some literature from Schultz & Larsen. It appears to be a brochure that covers the M61 (.22LR) and M62 (centerfire) rifles, which were similar.

If I recall correctly, the M61 doesn't have an ejector, meaning the empty casing will have to be manually removed.

Built like a tank, the M61 was an evolution of previous S&L free rifles, the M38, M46, M47, and M49.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.