Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

T1x 17HMR Accuracy Report

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  john the plinker 
#1 ·
So I finally decided to get out and shoot my T1 after having it since December. I've been waiting on a rail and keep missing them coming into stock. So...I'm temporarily using a DIP off my spare Sako Quad. It's not the right way to do it, but the weather has been great and I was itching to go shoot it.

Here are the Specs.

Tikka T1x in 17hmr w/ 20" threaded barrel.
DIP Rail (for sako quad)
Nightforce SHV
US Optics 30mm rings (medium)
Victor Company Universal Cheekrest (highly recommend for proper cheek weld)
Harris bipod

I tested 5 different types of ammo. The gun kept shooting better and better the more I shot. For respective purposes I shot the ammo in the order of the images and I shot the right target first and then the left target. I was shooting off my truck so I could've been more stable but it worked.

All targets were at 50 yards.

See less See more
#2 ·
Now I was having quite a bit of trouble with the Winchester ammo and getting it to feed properly. I was getting lots of hang ups.

I went out again after this range session to shoot ground squirrels and was still having issues with some of the other ammo i was shooting (mixed bag). That is going to be really frustrating if they don't get that resolved.

#4 ·
After Iejcted the previous round and was beginning to feed the next round it seemed as those the Winchester rounds were somehow catching on either the mouth of the chamber or something like that. I didn't spend a whole lot of time diagnosing it. Those bullets have a short steep angle to them and create a sharp lip where the mouth of the case is. It seems as though that is what was catching but I couldn't tell what it was catching on. I was pretty much having to single feed those rounds.

As for the similar issue the next day while shooting squirrels....I dont have any idea. I was more focused on having fun than diagnosing issues. I will give some feedback after my next range session.

#7 ·
I have had my T1X 17 hmr out twice now. I have used Hornady and A-17 ammo. They had some Win ammo but I passed on it after seeing the safety alert and some of the issues with it written up on here. I am pleased with it so far but wont be back out until I get my new rings mounted. I had a set of Warne's on it but got a deal on a set of Talley's. Once they are on I will be back out. Also with this new shortage, I find that 17's are on the shelves while 22 LR's are not.

#8 · (Edited)
CCI TNT has been the best ammo accuracy wise in all of my four of my .17s.
Volquartsen Fusion, Anschutz 1717D X2, and a Anschutz 1727F.
(All TNT no matter what the label/brand is CCI TNT)

CCI Game Point has been a close second.
(All 20gr hollow point tipped ammo is CCI GP including your Hornady 20gr XTP)

Proof upon request.:)
Check out the 17hrmr 50yd club.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219517

Example: My smallest ever 5 shot group at 50yds with CCI TNT with my Anschutz 1727F.

Smooth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.