Baffle Strike Picture - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:46 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Baffle Strike Picture

The new can works beautifully on one of my two threaded barrels. This was with the other one. At first I thought I was just shooting low and sloppy so I adjusted the sights. Then I noticed some oblong holes from bullets tumbling and I took the can off. Groups tightened back up and were 2" higher, where they should have been.

The target and the marks on the baffle speak for themselves but I was not able to see any misalignment and believe me I tried. Several ways. I took it to a gunsmith who stuck a range rod in the barrel and it clearly touched the end of the silencer* at the top.

#6 was shot with a 10/22 and the silencer at 15 yards. 4 rounds in one hole and I pulled the fifth one. No problem there.

Not all baffle strikes are destructive. If this had not been a carefully-tuned target pistol, it might have taken much longer to figure it out.

The barrel was threaded several years ago and there is nothing to be gained by saying who did it.

* The box it came in says "Silencer". So does the piece of paper my $200 stamp is glued to and so do the ATF regs. You can call it a suppressor if you feel you must. I don't.

Last edited by CardPuncher; 06-12-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:58 PM
FarmDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good picture of what to look for , nice informative post . Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I should add a warning. It would have been easy to not detect this as quickly as I did. My use of this pistol is all about precision (10 targets on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper!) and I still put over 50 rounds through it before I was convinced something was wrong. If I had kept shooting and the silencer loosened slightly on the threads or my luck ran out, there could have been serious damage.

If I were a speed-steel shooter or a pray-and-spray plinker the first problem I noticed might have been a bad one. I would encourage anyone with a new silencer or new threads to check it carefully visually and to shoot a test target with and without the silencer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 10:09 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw the same thing happen to an AR. It was not noticed at first by the shooter and baffle damaged occured. I shot it and noticed gases were jetted back into my face. He continued shooting. I don't know if the jetting was inherent in the design or because of the misalignment.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 AM
USInfidel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So you think the strike was caused by the barrel threading? I recently had an end cap strike on an Octaine .45 with a 9mm end cap and still can't figure out why. Good ammo that I've shot before with a decent lone wolf barrel, and I check the tightness every mag. I also did not even notice it until I was taking it off my gun. Good to see you caught your issue quick enough.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:17 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USInfidel View Post
So you think the strike was caused by the barrel threading?....
The LGS put a range rod in the bore to show the misalignment and blamed it on the barrel. He had not done the threading and has no reason to care which. Although thinking about it, I don't know why that would show which it was. It shoots fine on my other gun. Is that enough or do I need another opinion?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:39 PM
USInfidel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Baffle Strike Picture

I'd think threading. If you know a machinist they could check that for you. Or call the barrel manufacturer. They will probably check it for you. They don't want to get a rep for not having concentric threads.