Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T1x review and 1st range test

I've been waiting for a T1x to be available locally, I'm very much a "need to see it in person" kinda guy.
It passed that test, even with the synthetic stock.
Very nice feeling rifle in the hands, IMO workmanship is very good to excellent.
The machine work and metal finish is outstanding, I've rarely seen better. This is an impressive little rifle for the price..

I had a T3 Hunter stock set aside on a .243 hunting rifle, it made its way to the T1x with very minor Dremel inletting around the mag well, and by drilling a locating hole for the mysterious plastic pin on the rear of the trigger guard. I re-sealed the raw wood with a couple coats of TruOil. I'm told the T3X walnut stocks won't need this work, I can't say for sure either way.
The wood stock improves the balance, feel, and I think the looks of the rifle. Once it was inletted for the mag well, it's a beautiful fit, with full but not excessive barrel clearance.
I think you'll see Tikka offer a deluxe version of the T1x in time, though it's hard to say what adding a nice stock would do to the price.

I adjusted the trigger to what feels like a super-crisp 2 lbs. It'll go a bit lighter yet, but I have a lighter spring to try if I want to go further. It definitely passed my bump test at this weight setting. Tikka is known for their safe, crisp triggers and this one is a fine example of that.
I set the action screws at 20 in lbs front and back, and mounted a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20 EFR scope in Warne 722 high rings set for the 11mm dovetail. I think the medium height would work fine, but this wasn't bad either.

The barrel crown looks excellent in this rifle, better than what I'm used to seeing on other makes.The plastic thread protector, while chintzy, isn't that bad. I had originally planned to make a steel one, and probably will at some point, but it's not a priority. The bottom plastic is very thin on the trigger guard area however, don't drop the rifle on it or you'll be replacing parts.

The hump-back mag isn't as bad as I thought it would be, they really need to market a 5-round flush fit mag though. It's a minor eyesore on a good looking rifle.
Mine only holds nine rounds?? I was expecting the full 10, but it's far from a deal- breaker.

I fired at least 150 rds through the rifle today, zero issues with feeding or ejecting.
The empties traveled about a foot before dropping.The last round out of the magazine was slightly rougher feeding than the others. I'm used to silky smooth feeding with a CZ, so I'm probably more critical than most. I didn't see any lead shavings in the action.

The bolt is smoothing out a bit already, it's not what Tikka T3 owners are used to, slightly more effort required than with my 452 Varmint with several thousand rounds through it.

Safety is typical 2-position Tikka, very positive and well-detented. A pleasure for those that use it.

I'll post the accuracy results tomorrow, I tried six different types of ammo ranging from $4 to $15 per box. Interesting results in that dept!

Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well that looks pretty darn good in a wood stock. Look forward to the range results.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly807 View Post
I've been waiting for a T1x to be available locally, I'm very much a "need to see it in person" kinda guy.
It passed that test, even with the synthetic stock.
Very nice feeling rifle in the hands, IMO workmanship is very good to excellent.
The machine work and metal finish is outstanding, I've rarely seen better. This is an impressive little rifle for the price..

I had a T3 Hunter stock set aside on a .243 hunting rifle, it made its way to the T1x with very minor Dremel inletting around the mag well, and by drilling a locating hole for the mysterious plastic pin on the rear of the trigger guard. I re-sealed the raw wood with a couple coats of TruOil. I'm told the T3X walnut stocks won't need this work, I can't say for sure either way.
The wood stock improves the balance, feel, and I think the looks of the rifle. Once it was inletted for the mag well, it's a beautiful fit, with full but not excessive barrel clearance.
I think you'll see Tikka offer a deluxe version of the T1x in time, though it's hard to say what adding a nice stock would do to the price.

I adjusted the trigger to what feels like a super-crisp 2 lbs. It'll go a bit lighter yet, but I have a lighter spring to try if I want to go further. It definitely passed my bump test at this weight setting. Tikka is known for their safe, crisp triggers and this one is a fine example of that.
I set the action screws at 20 in lbs front and back, and mounted a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20 EFR scope in Warne 722 high rings set for the 11mm dovetail. I think the medium height would work fine, but this wasn't bad either.

The barrel crown looks excellent in this rifle, better than what I'm used to seeing on other makes.The plastic thread protector, while chintzy, isn't that bad. I had originally planned to make a steel one, and probably will at some point, but it's not a priority. The bottom plastic is very thin on the trigger guard area however, don't drop the rifle on it or you'll be replacing parts.

The hump-back mag isn't as bad as I thought it would be, they really need to market a 5-round flush fit mag though. It's a minor eyesore on a good looking rifle.
Mine only holds nine rounds?? I was expecting the full 10, but it's far from a deal- breaker.

I fired at least 150 rds through the rifle today, zero issues with feeding or ejecting.
The empties traveled about a foot before dropping.The last round out of the magazine was slightly rougher feeding than the others. I'm used to silky smooth feeding with a CZ, so I'm probably more critical than most. I didn't see any lead shavings in the action.

The bolt is smoothing out a bit already, it's not what Tikka T3 owners are used to, slightly more effort required than with my 452 Varmint with several thousand rounds through it.

Safety is typical 2-position Tikka, very positive and well-detented. A pleasure for those that use it.

I'll post the accuracy results tomorrow, I tried six different types of ammo ranging from $4 to $15 per box. Interesting results in that dept!

I like it a lot. I will try to find a wood stock for one of my Tikka T1X rifles.

Pointers ? Where to find a T3X stock ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:06 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In that wood stock it sure looks like they copied the 457. Slab sides, safety and bolt design all look like a 457. Seems like alot of plastic. Looking foward to your range report. Gun looks alot better. ��

Last edited by thesandman; 04-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dang Chilly807...that stock does look really nice. It really pops out after always seeing a T1x in the black plasticy stock. I also had the exact same experience you did when mine were new. The last round would be a little finicky feeding, the ejection would toss out the empties about a foot. The ejection hasn't changed but the last round feeding has smoothed out. I also have my receiver bolts at 20 in/lbs. Also, I believe most people will very quickly get over the magazine look. It will hold 10 rounds. I have 5 mags total and none are really difficult to get the 10th round in. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

Sandman, you do know the Tikka T1x was introduced well ahead of the 457? But, you are correct in that this wood stock that Chilly added does make the T1x resemble the 457 at first glance.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I like it a lot. I will try to find a wood stock for one of my Tikka T1X rifles.

Pointers ? Where to find a T3X stock ?
I found my T3 stock used, a friend of mine in Saskatchewan bought the rifle it was originally on and advertised it for sale.
I don't think it was ever used, I seem to remember he mounted the action in a B&C stock.

It was on my T3 Lite 308-turned-243 for about a year. I don't mind synthetic on a hunting rifle that comes out once a year, but my .22s get a lot of use. I'll happily confess to being a wood *****.
So the 243 is back in her plastic pajamas and the T1x gets to wear designer clothes.

Beretta sells the replacement Hunter stocks, but you have to give up your first born child. They're pricey.

If you do get a T3 stock, you'll see very quickly how much has to come out and exactly where. I probably removed less than 1/16" on each side with a sanding drum in a Dremel.
The bottom plastic (calling it metal just seems wrong) slides over the bottom edge of the mag well, you have to allow a bit more room at the bottom for that.
I first noticed when the mag wouldn't latch in place and the bottom plastic stood slightly proud from the wood in the middle.
I read somewhere that a T3x stock won't require any inletting at all.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
In that wood stock it sure looks like they copied the 457. Slab sides, safety and bolt design all look like a 457. Seems like alot of plastic. Looking foward to your range report. Gun looks alot better. ��
This thing is 90% Tikka T3x. I think Tikka really, really wanted the same footprint to avoid having to retool their stock production. For those that want to swap stocks easily, that's a big plus.

Having said that, the action design is a bit odd. The front of the action is cut away like a grain scoop, with the barrel "cradled" in the opening. The barrel slides back inside the scoop until the headspace is correct, then the ejector slot is indexed and the set screws are tightened.
Note that the barrel DOES NOT butt up against a shoulder in the action when the headspace is set correctly. I haven't taken mine apart to verify that and I don't plan to, but that's what I've read.
I saw a thread where another Canadian took his barrel out to drop in a custom machined Lilja barrel and discovered the headspace wasn't positively set other than by using the set screws.
I haven't decided what I think of that yet. If it never gives me any problems, I'll think it's a great idea. If it ever moves there'll be complaining.

I keep a handful of fired cases to use for trigger tuning, I don't like dry firing on an empty chamber.
When I first got this rifle, all I had on hand were SK cases fired in my 452 Varmint. They were extremely tight going into the chamber on the Tikka, enough so that I couldn't use them. The Tikka seems to have a tighter chamber than the CZ. Unfired rounds chamber easily in both rifles.

If I had one real criticism about the Tikka, it's that it's a bit light for my tastes. I'm a range shooter that hunts on rare occasions, and I have other rifles for that.
I think we'll see Tikka expand the T1x lineup over time, maybe next year once the base models are well established. A deluxe wood stock version makes sense if they can make it affordable, as does a heavier barreled Varmint rifle.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly807 View Post
This thing is 90% Tikka T3x. I think Tikka really, really wanted the same footprint to avoid having to retool their stock production. For those that want to swap stocks easily, that's a big plus. ...

I keep a handful of fired cases to use for trigger tuning, I don't like dry firing on an empty chamber. ...

If I had one real criticism about the Tikka, it's that it's a bit light for my tastes. I'm a range shooter that hunts on rare occasions, and I have other rifles for that.
I think we'll see Tikka expand the T1x lineup over time, maybe next year once the base models are well established. A deluxe wood stock version makes sense if they can make it affordable, as does a heavier barreled Varmint rifle.
As Chilly says, the T1X was not made as a CZ 457 copy. With the same footprint of the T3X that much is obvious -- although it creates its own issues of quirkiness such as the "shoehorn". But I like the idea of being able to use other Tikka parts such as the stock accoutrements if you're stuck with the synthetic stock.

The trigger looks the same too. My T1X trigger did not respond the same way to a spring change as other Tikka and Sako FFII triggers that are the same in appearance. When I swapped the trigger spring it did not reduce the pull weight as much as it had in the other Tikka and Sako triggers on which I made the same change. Even with the spring removed it did not get below 1lb. I don't know if my trigger is an anomaly or if the T1X trigger is a little more "lawyered" than similar triggers in the past. Nevertheless, the trigger is light enough for acceptable range use.

I agree with Chilly's observation that it is a light and, I might add, smallish rifle even with the 20" barrel. I'm not a fan of the synthetic stock and I think Tikka would do well to offer the barreled action with nice walnut. And I second Chilly's suggestion that Tikka ought to make the T1X available in a heavy barrel model. If CZ can do it, why not?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM
603Country
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You fellows say “light and small” like it was a bad thing. I specifically wanted a light and small 22 bolt gun, and the T1X is just about perfect.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
You fellows say “light and small” like it was a bad thing. I specifically wanted a light and small 22 bolt gun, and the T1X is just about perfect.
I guess it depends on the use it sees. Mine will rarely see use away from a range, and I like heavy, stable rifles for that. I don't like them enough to drop $3k on a purpose-built target rifle, is the problem.
As it turns out, the Tikka just might fill both roles
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
If light and small is what you like then it fits the bill. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I was just reflecting that among the sporter rifles I have, the T1X is the smallest. The overall length of the 20" model is slightly under 38" which is even shorter than the CZ 455 Varmint, the shortest "full size" CZ with a standard barrel.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, time to talk about accuracy and ammo preferences.
I shot six different types of .22 LR through the rifle yesterday.
All shooting was done from a bench position using a Harris bipod and a Caldwell rear bag.

The ammo used was, in no special order, CCI Standard Velocity, SK Standard Plus, SK Pistol Match, SK Biathlon Sport, Lapua Center-X, and RWS Target Rifle.

I used CCI SV to sight in at 25 yds, then I didn't adjust anything when I switched to 50 yds for the group testing.

I put two dry patches through the rifle between different ammo types, and then fired 9 fouling shots before shooting 5 rounds for each group.

The group with CCI SV was about 1/2" low at 50, which didn't surprise me. What was interesting was that every other ammunition shot not only low, but to the left.
A friend fired 9 more rounds through the rifle with CCI SV at the end of the test, his group was pretty much exactly where mine was, in a group that could be covered with a quarter.

The results were pretty interesting. The cheapest ammo shot the best, CCI SV at $4 per box. The worst was the most expensive ammo, Lapua Center-X at $14 for 50.
The closest result to the CCI SV was the SK Biathlon Sport, with two shots a shade to the left.
There were some decent wind gusts yesterday, from right to left. It's altogether possible the wind blew those shots astray. If that's the case, then Biathlon Sport is a real contender in this rifle.

I'm going to do some more testing when time permits. I have some Eley to try, high velocity Force, Tenex, and some Club.
The RWS Target Rifle shoots well in my CZ 452, the Tikka isn't fond of it.
The Center-X produced a group worthy of a full-choke shotgun. It shoots well in the CZ.

The plan is to set up a chronograph for the next test, I think I'll see that velocity and barrel harmonics are the key to making this rifle shoot well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be perfectly happy to shoot tight groups with CCI SV for the rest of my time with the Tikka. It's batch to batch consistency that concerns me, or odd fliers that didn't appear in my testing yesterday.

I'm not the best shooter, but I'm happy with the results from yesterday. At least two of the six different ammunition types I tried produced what I consider to be very good groups in a light weight production rifle.

Anyone that thinks there's a .22 rifle built today that shoots everything well should bid on my oceanfront property in Alberta.

So far, the Tikka is an impressive little rifle IMO. At some point I'll probably fiddle with temporary barrel shims to change the barrel harmonics (resonance), but for now I think I'll simply shoot and enjoy it.

Last edited by chilly807; 04-15-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the target results. That CCI SV group is impressive indeed. Last time I had my T1x out, the CCI SV shot better than the SK+, Tac 22, and Geco Rifle ammo.

I use that Tack Driving target when I get tired of shooting groups on other targets. One shot per circle is entertaining & often yields some interesting results. Most of which show that I'm not as good as I think.

Last edited by cabin22; 04-15-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
I use that Tack Driving target when I get tired of shooting groups on other targets. One shot per circle is entertaining & often yields some interesting results. Most of which show that I'm not as good as I think.
I like it because it forces me to shift my point of aim and settle in again. Real world shooting.

The odds of me getting 25 driven tacks in a row are slim to non-existent at 50 yds, so after shooting a page I have a meaningful result to gauge how the day went. In other words it's a challenge.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 AM
fwood
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice review, thanks. I think you might find it's shooting much better after a few bricks of ammunition through it. Mine certainly has though I was quite happy with it right out of the box. I'm really liking the wood stock.