Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:39 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Another one that is local to me is the House of Prime Rib. Very nice place but has become so popular reservations have to made weeks or months in advance. When you get there they seat you, get your drink order. Within a few minutes of ordering drinks they take your order. Very few choices other than the size of the prime rib cut, the potato, veggies, and if you want a salad. Their focus is in and out in about 45 minutes, but the food is good.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Westwoods in Fresno, CA is pretty darned rootin' tootin' good for steak!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
Another one that is local to me is the House of Prime Rib. Very nice place but has become so popular reservations have to made weeks or months in advance. When you get there they seat you, get your drink order. Within a few minutes of ordering drinks they take your order. Very few choices other than the size of the prime rib cut, the potato, veggies, and if you want a salad. Their focus is in and out in about 45 minutes, but the food is good.

Like I said we have great family food. But If we do go out I'm paying for my food and the experience of being waited on. If I was at a place where I was on a assembly line? Man I would not be a good customer. 45 minutes?? That wouldn't be pleasant for me or the staff. JMO
Old 07-11-2019, 12:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
[/B]

Like I said we have great family food. But If we do go out I'm paying for my food and the experience of being waited on. If I was at a place where I was on a assembly line? Man I would not be a good customer. 45 minutes?? That wouldn't be pleasant for me or the staff. JMO

Need more time to drink!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
most expensive restaurant do a 1 1/2 to 2 hour turn. 45 minutes is a bit of a rush.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM
nukesc
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My favorite steak house is in my backyard.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 PM
fwood
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My favorite is a nice ribeye about 1 1/2" thick that I do at home. I get our steaks at Costco and prefer the Choice over the Prime. Prime is just too much fat for my taste. 3 minute sear on both sides gives the med-rare finish my wife and I both prefer.
There are several very good steakhouses in our area but I find them overpriced and usually not really tasting any better than what I make at home. They do make better wedge salads than me however and some of the baked potatoes are over the top.
Our favorite reasonably priced and consistently cooked is Texas Roadhouse and it's pretty loud in there.
I haven't tried SV yet but I'm thinking about it.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukesc View Post
My favorite steak house is in my backyard.

In my book,you won!..
Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bought a sous vide machine and boiled a steak last night (129 for 1 hour) then pan seared it 30 seconds each side. I'm not sold on this method over my cast iron skillet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 02:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Bought a sous vide machine and boiled a steak last night (129 for 1 hour) then pan seared it 30 seconds each side. I'm not sold on this method over my cast iron skillet.

I can send you my address and you can send it to me for my birthday.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OJ, you may not find it 'better' with premium or choice cuts, but with lesser cuts it may be diff. Average grocery store cuts come out way better for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:27 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post

Darn right. We had a real rainy spring so the grill didn't get much use. We have a broil pan we put under the broiler in crappy weather and winter. Works great but it's smokey and you have to heat the oven up. My wife saw on one of the cooking shows how to cook staeks in a cast iron skillet. A light bulb went of in my head. Geez just like my grandmother did. So next day I got some nice steaks, got one of her old pans I have and let my wife go at it. We,ve been making ours steaks like that since. Darn now you got me drooling!
Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
OJ, you may not find it 'better' with premium or choice cuts, but with lesser cuts it may be diff. Average grocery store cuts come out way better for me.
For the maiden (voyage) I did 2 steaks, one Snake River Farms bone in strip, 1" thick, and one regular supermarket boneless NY, 1-1/2" choice with low marbling.

The SRF went for 60 mins and came out more than medium-rare. The choice cut went for 90 mins came out more than medium. Both were seared afterwards, which may have pushed the doneness a touch.

Snake River Farms is a purveyor of American waygu beef with lots of marbling, very tender and rich (fatty moist) but low low on the white scale. The premium cuts sell in the market for about $32 a pound for NY and ribeye; they do not have a filet cut for sale at my market. If the meat cutter is there he will cut me any thickness I want.

Next voyage will be lower cook time, only 1 hour, and lower cook point temp, 125 before the final sear.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Same as with my smoker, I use the 'sneak up on it' method; better ere on the side of a bit under temp/doneness. The combination of the fresh out of the SV pot and directly into the HOT pan for sear may take you over the top, but thats why the HOT pan for the quickest sear possible. Try for the combo to end up with just shy or spot on to the final center you prefer. FWIW, I used to go for med, now it is the early side of med-rare.
A nice thing about the SV is that even if you get distracted the timing isnt critical (though the temp is for degree of doneness), it cant get any more done than the temp peak. And you can chill, refrigerate and bring back to the same temp another day and then finish off the crust or prepare steaks to the rarest your guests may want then finish quickly on the grill.
It is a different process than most are used to thus does have a learning curve, but it isnt difficult, just different. It is still 'cooking'.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:57 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Appreciate the info and shared experience, @gcrank1