Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:05 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
Oh, that was flangster's lucky fly, case of mistaken identity, KOD. Sorry for adding to the confusion around here
Yeah. He juked left, I shot right. Next time I am bringing peanut butter. . . .
Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 PM
fwood
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A drop of honey or even a little soda works wonders.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here Ya Go: A Fly makes a nice red splat!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Tomiboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chilly,

All rimfires are different but I have found with my CZ 452 that SK Biathlon is it's second favorite ammo. I found the first 15 rounds, on a clean barrel, are bad. You might try burning the first 15 before going for groups just to see. Yours may need more or less. I usually start out with a clean barrel and then just start shooting groups of 5 until I run 50 rounds. The last 7 groups are the ones I count. Best yet was a .312" average groups size! Haven't been able to repeat that. Midas Plus is my go to ammo. Funny thing it doesn't seem to need many, if any, warm up shots??
Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwood View Post
A drop of honey or even a little soda works wonders.
I try to wait until they wander into the sighter box to preserve the target score.
It's amazing, I can throw shots all over a 50 yd target and usually take out a blue bottle fly on the first shot.
Big game season, I guess
Old 05-28-2019, 09:56 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Chilly,

All rimfires are different but I have found with my CZ 452 that SK Biathlon is it's second favorite ammo. I found the first 15 rounds, on a clean barrel, are bad. You might try burning the first 15 before going for groups just to see. Yours may need more or less. I usually start out with a clean barrel and then just start shooting groups of 5 until I run 50 rounds. The last 7 groups are the ones I count. Best yet was a .312" average groups size! Haven't been able to repeat that. Midas Plus is my go to ammo. Funny thing it doesn't seem to need many, if any, warm up shots??
I'm going to try some SK Pistol Match Special next, plus some Flatnose Match.

It likes CCI SV but the ammo isn't consistent enough for regular match use. I shot an F-class rimfire match the weekend past with it, finished 2nd with a few odd shots I'd like to have back.

The Eley Force HV has been the most accurate and consistent so far, I'm hoping to find a good quality SV ammo that's good for shooting beyond 50 yds. The transition from super- to sub-sonic will be a problem I think.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:41 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot these groups yesterday at 50 yds. The Tikka is impressing me with it's accuracy, at the same time reminding me that my shooting form could stand some work, hold consistency in particular.

I realized part way through the day that my shoulder position was inconsistent, I was "reaching" for the rifle on the poor groups and some individual shots. The ones that felt good, were good.. I shoot prone with a bipod and rear bag almost exclusively.

One eye opener came halfway through the CCI SV string, two flyers in a row to the left on the third group. That prompted a "What did you just do??" moment. Focusing on shooting form brought performance back up to par, though it slipped a few times after that.

The Eley Force continues to perform well, as does the SK Biathlon Sport and CCI SV. The Pistol Match Special wasn't that bad either, the rifle isn't picky about what it eats.

I'm single feeding cartridges, the ejection port is just big enough for a thumb and the mag aligns loose rounds fairly well.

Overall impressions of the rifle are still excellent. If I had to pick one thing about it to find fault with, it's that ejection is a bit on the weak side. If you work the bolt gently the empty case stays in the action from time to time. It's easy to clear, however.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 AM
quikcolin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How many rounds have you sent down the barrel? Great shooting.

I bought 5000 rounds of CCI SV. At 50M they’re dynamite. At 100M they could be better. Bought some SK Rifle Match and Eley Force to try at 100M this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly807 View Post
I shot these groups yesterday at 50 yds. The Tikka is impressing me with it's accuracy, at the same time reminding me that my shooting form could stand some work, hold consistency in particular.

I realized part way through the day that my shoulder position was inconsistent, I was "reaching" for the rifle on the poor groups and some individual shots. The ones that felt good, were good.. I shoot prone with a bipod and rear bag almost exclusively.

One eye opener came halfway through the CCI SV string, two flyers in a row to the left on the third group. That prompted a "What did you just do??" moment. Focusing on shooting form brought performance back up to par, though it slipped a few times after that.

The Eley Force continues to perform well, as does the SK Biathlon Sport and CCI SV. The Pistol Match Special wasn't that bad either, the rifle isn't picky about what it eats.

I'm single feeding cartridges, the ejection port is just big enough for a thumb and the mag aligns loose rounds fairly well.

Overall impressions of the rifle are still excellent. If I had to pick one thing about it to find fault with, it's that ejection is a bit on the weak side. If you work the bolt gently the empty case stays in the action from time to time. It's easy to clear, however.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To date it has 1000 rds through the barrel, give or take 50.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
To date it has 1000 rds through the barrel, give or take 50.
I've enjoyed this thread, chilly. The best moments are those A-ha moments when things click and make sense. It only takes a few minutes to learn firearm safety and the theory of marksmanship. It can take considerably longer to master those things. I'm still on my journey to get better. I'll keep trying until the day that I cannot.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I'm enjoying figuring out what makes this rifle perform.
When I first got it, I was thinking if it shot well I might sell my 452 Varmint. If the Tikka was a dog, it would go for sale and I'd keep the CZ.
As it stands today, I'll keep both rifles. They're both solid performers, though I need to shop for another target scope for the CZ.
I wish Leupold hadn't discontinued the VX2 line, I have a 6-18x with AO on another rifle that's been a great scope over the years. Used ones come for sale occasionally, I need to be patient.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

This fits me perfect too. Here is a target shot with my Winchester 52 that made me do the same thing. For me it was circled shots that are low to the right. If it was random it could be called a flyer but sometimes I wonder if we are doing something different but consistent enough to cause the same POI but not where it should be. (does that make sense) I could have easily went 10 for 10 but something happened. (story of my life)

Keep up the good work Chilly807.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
If it was random it could be called a flyer but sometimes I wonder if we are doing something different but consistent enough to cause the same POI but not where it should be. (does that make sense
It makes perfect sense to me.

For me it's the Bermuda Triangle of rear bag, shoulder pressure, and cheek pressure. If any one of those elements isn't balanced a shot (or several) go astray.

If I do the same thing wrong twice or three times in a row, the shots go in the same place.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know, it's weird like that. You know the old saying, "beware of the man who owns only one gun". Because his knows how to shoot it day in and day out. When you have many guns to shoot they all like to be caressed a little differently. You can go through the retraining phase but sometimes a habit from another rifle comes into play. That's my thinking anyway.

For people who read this, I'm not talking about shooting golf ball size targets at 50 yards "in my case 55 yards" but shooting a target the size of an eraser head...and trying to hit it every time. On the targets I use the circles are simply notebook paper reinforcement rings. The outside diameter is just a hair "don't ask me what kind " over 1/2" while the inner diameter is exactly 1/4".
Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM
MN22LRFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scope

chilly807 - looks like your mentioned Leupold scope is back in production, but in the AR line. Notice it has the fine plex also:
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...od-1-6-18x40mm