Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Redfield MK 10 Sight

There was quite a bit of discussion concerning the little known Redfield MK 10 rear sight in a previous post that got a little off-track. So, I thought I would post some pics of my MK 10, all 1+ pounds of it. These are massive and heavy sights, designed along the same lines as the much loved Gates rear sight. This particular example is a 1/8 minute adjustment sight. Each of these sights was individually tested and a "hysteresis loop" sheet for both windage and elevation was enclosed with each sight along with instructions. They were unique in that they could be swapped from LH to RH mounting by just changing the location of sight and aperture. These were very well made and accurate sights, however as Brian mentioned earlier this was there downfall as well. They would shake themselves loose under heavy recoil of centerfire rifles. This is only the second one I have ever seen.
Steve

Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Thanks for posting this Seewin.
Very interesting as I have never seen one of those before. Matter of fact, I hadnt even heard of it until that discussion.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Sandy22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why are the readings for clicks not at integer values, I.e. 1, 2, etc. on the graph? If it's just to show a nice-looking 1:1 slope, why isn't 1 click at 1.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Neat! Another one I'll have to be on the lookout for.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 AM
glp
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblades View Post
Thanks for posting this Seewin.
Very interesting as I have never seen one of those before. Matter of fact, I hadnt even heard of it until that discussion.
Ditto here on the existence. Thanks for the picture. They probably held tight on a rimfire? Any idea as to the purpose of such a heavy sight. Just to make it more robust and precision?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy22 View Post
Why are the readings for clicks not at integer values, I.e. 1, 2, etc. on the graph? If it's just to show a nice-looking 1:1 slope, why isn't 1 click at 1.1?
A very minute error in pitch of threads, dowel pin hole tolerance and possible very slight differences in machined angles of dowel pin holes could cause such a slight difference. Based on the measurements shown which are pretty consistent at each click. It appears to me there is a very small, but consistent error in thread pitch which would equate to a constant gain of a couple tenths at each click. Depending on yardage shot, this could be calculated out to actual theoretical bullet POI changes with each click.
I have never performed this test on other sights, but look's pretty precise to me. As I mentioned, this design look's very similar to the gates sight that was a favorite of shooters due to the preciseness of its manufacture, which equated to consistent values for the click adjustments.
Steve
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Mk-10

There is a decent article on the then new MK-10 in the AR "dope bag" at the time of introduction, either 76 or 77. Sorry I can't be more specific but my files are packed again.

bjm
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Article was May of 1977 American Rifleman. It was a very in-depth discussion of sight and how they were tested.
Steve
Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had forgotten that all the Mark 10's were serial numbered. I had to dig mine out and look to see how close my sight was to Seewins. My serial number is E25499 and has the 1/4 minute clicks. Its also new in the box with the Hysteresis(backlash) Test Data and instruction sheet with the plastic bag(inside the box) that they were shipped in. These sights were all hand made and expensive. In my research I found that they were made in the late 70's for a couple of years and sold for around $205.00. At the same time the International sold for around $45.00. As its already been said-they were a take-off of the gates sight and yes they are a heavy well made sight. The movement of the clicks were not supposed to be off more than .0003 per click. I personally can't say much about how they preform because I have never had mine on a gun. I have heard that only around 30 of these were built. I have only seen three of these counting mine. The other 2 were 1/8 clicks and one was also new in the box and the other had been used. I would have to say that the 1/4 click might be more scarce but thats just a guess. I know the weight did cause some problems with the mounting screws coming loose but there is nothing cheap in the way that its made. The price also reflects this as one of these sold awhile back for over $1300.00. I don't know if their worth that but they are a very scarce sight that a few collectors want in their collections!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Wow, $1,300! Someone wanted that one pretty bad. The article in the AR mentions the fact that they were heavy and the one used on a test M70 target rifle had to be tightened 3 times over the course of testing 50 rounds or so.
The article states the sight was introduced in '75, and as John mentioned, they were not in production very long, 3 or 4 years max.
Another interesting design feature, was the fact that the sight could be used left or right side, and when vertical clicks ran out, provisions were made for attaching sight in a different doweled/hole-slot on sight and picking up additional elevation. The article also mentions that the sights produced in '77 were supposed to have 3 different slots for vertical adjustment. My particular sight only has 2 locations.
John, I would be curious to know if your sight has 2 or 3 locations, since yours is later than mine.
Incidentally, the price marked on the bottom of my sight box is $204.70.
Steve
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My sight is identical to yours in everyway including the red Redfield box that it came in. The only difference is where yours says 1/8 minute-mine says 1/4 on the silver end label. I also cannot find any price marked on my box!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM
glp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Inflation airily speaking

205 in 1975 would be about 890 in 2013 dollars.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post
205 in 1975 would be about 890 in 2013 dollars.
Thats probably the reason that not many were sold and discontinued after 2 or 3 years! It also makes for a nice collectible sight since they are very scarce!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
glp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOhio View Post
Thats probably the reason that not many were sold and discontinued after 2 or 3 years! It also makes for a nice collectible sight since they are very scarce!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax
I got lucky as heck back a few or more years. I wanted a Mk10 but kept getting out bid on EPay for the 1 that would show up once a year or so. I was bidding on one in 2008 or so but the auction was going to end while I was away shooting prone at Manassas, I put a $250 bid on it and went to the match. Came home and I won the sight for $245, I was thrilled as the previous auctions all went over $400. I got the box with it but its a little damaged but glad to have it. Had no idea about the paperwork that came with the sight, impressive!

BTW some of us are still shooting with Sam Gates sights to this day. Warner is the only other that is as repeatable.