Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:53 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
New To Me: Original Steyr .22 Rifle

It pays to dig up old threads here on RFC! While doing some research on the original "Zephyr" I found some threads here where a fine fellow was willing to move his rifle.

The rifle arrived today at my FFL. I love it. It is even better condition than the pictures he shared. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

I might have to have my local gunsmith reduce the LOP a bit for me to comfortably "reach" that front trigger though. I won't do that if it requires a complete refinish of the stock.

Thanks Lance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.JPG (126.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1031.JPG (114.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1033.JPG (359.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:38 PM
PlinksAlot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful rifle. Congrats. I would not mess with the stock. Any mods to original condition can greatly effect value and I'm sure thats no cheapie. Enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:19 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
" . . . I might have to have my local gunsmith reduce the LOP a bit for me to comfortably "reach" that front trigger though. . . . "

. . . Wait, . . . What?

Last edited by NVaVettes; 06-03-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2021, 03:29 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I do hate to modify the stock this way, but I bought this rifle to use. The LOP for the back trigger is great (I haven't measured but I think it is about 13.25), but the well forward front trigger is a bit of a reach.

However, I do plan to shoot the rifle some the way it is to see how I do. I would rather not adjust the LOP.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW! She’s a beauty ! Congrats
Old 06-03-2021, 03:53 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've wanted one of these FS original Steyr's ever since I learned they existed. However, I didn't think I'd find one in great condition for a price I was willing to pay.

In fact, after my last project started and paid for, I decided I did't need any more firearms. Then, of course this opportunity arose and I was back in the buying mode. Sold my last pre-charged pneumatic air pistol to buy this one. Got what I originally paid for the pistol (ironically, also a Steyr) when new and just had to add a bit to make this deal work.

Bonus, had a good time discussing the deal with the seller as well.

Now, I'm done. (Surely I can live without a Dakota Repeater .22!)
Old 06-03-2021, 04:44 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Those rifles are one of the most beautiful ever designed, and the double set trigger makes it among, I would say the top three ever designed. Don't remember which one is the trigger to set the hair trigger, but if it is one of the top three most beautiful rifles ever, I would resist any modification at all costs.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2021, 05:18 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The front trigger is the one that always fires the rifle, regardless of whether the rear trigger has been set or not.

Is the issue really that the stock length forces your arm to reach too far away from your body,
or are you saying that when your hand is comfortably on the grip, the pad of your index finger does not
reach the front trigger?

If its the latter, it would seem to be a grip size/shape/length vs hand size issue?

In either case, what unaltered 22 rifles are comfortable for you to shoot?

I ask because it just never occurred to me that the Zephyr "didn't fit" . . .

PS

In going back and looking at my pictures of the various triggers more closely, I would say the single trigger sits about
in the middle of the trigger guard opening, from a front-to-back perspective.
The rear DST trigger sits at just a little less than a third from front-to-back, and the front DST sits at about
the two-thirds mark, front-to-back.

(The single trigger on the Standard Model also sits at about the half-way point, although the trigger guard is different.)

The single trigger might give you just a little better fit, but then you would lose the 'cool' DST.

For my own curiosity, I may have to go and measure LOPs . . . etc

Last edited by NVaVettes; 06-03-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:38 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
MegaCongrats, Bowwild! You managed to acquire one with the best trigger and magazine release configuration that Steyr offered, and I agree with it being in the top three most elegant factory bolt-action rimfires ever made. The one I had was identical to that one, but I believe yours is in a bit better condition. Be aware original magazines -- and the Zephyr-specific Steyr scope rings -- are hens teeth.

I understand you plan to shoot it, but shortening the stock would probably cut its value nearly in half, as these are pretty rarified rifles and highly valued when all original. It seems hardly worth it to gain a mere 1/2", if that. You'll quickly get used to setting the trigger by pulling the rear until it clicks. Also, practice releasing the "set", in the event the squirrel decides to run away at the last moment...something that rarely happens to me

TBR
Old 06-03-2021, 05:39 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the comments and input.

LOP has been a problem for me since I stopped growing in the 6th grade and locked up at 5'6" (with two pairs of socks on).

The grip shape does matter as was suggested too above. A straighter grip (which I don't prefer the look of) helps me by moving my grip hand closer to the trigger. I found this out when I ordered a Boyd's stock that was straighter than what I was using.

Another issue, I'm ashamed to say, may be my changed physique (if someone my age is allowed to use the word physique). There is about 30 pounds more of me than my height/age recommends. Ten of these pounds found me during COVID. It seems that some of the weight caused increased girth under my shoulders at the front of the armpit, right where I shoulder my rifles. That effectively shortened my LOP (that's what I surmise anyway). Why must everything be blamed on COVID, Potato Chips, and ice cream?.

A 1/2 inch trim would do wonders for this rifle and I. I've done this before on a Zephyr II and a Ruger RSI (full stock #1). The butt pad is already very thin OEM. It is at least an inch further reach from the back, well-fit for me trigger, to the front trigger.

I'm not going to do anything yet. I'm going to shoot the rifle several times to see if I can make it work for me without this modification ($50 job and my gunsmith does it very well).
Old 06-03-2021, 05:42 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A dead give away that I've lopped the LOP (sorry), is the Pooh-bear brand the gunsmith insists on applying to my junior sized butt stocks!

While I don't intend to sell this rifle, cutting its value so drastically by such a modification is offensive to me as well.

Thanks all.

Last edited by bowwild; 06-03-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great looking gun! Its a beautiful beast. And if you are short and chesty, cut it down.
A custom quality gun , imho, doesnt lose value if it is custom fit.

Me Ilike a short lop too, and im tall and chesty.

So if you have to sell it someday, pm me , i wont ask for a discount! Especially if you have the cut off and original but pad
Old 06-04-2021, 08:11 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Those rifles are one of the most beautiful ever designed, and the double set trigger makes it among, I would say the top three ever designed. Don't remember which one is the trigger to set the hair trigger, but if it is one of the top three most beautiful rifles ever, I would resist any modification at all costs.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Beautiful rifle and the DST's are significantly rarer than the Single triggers like mine, but as said above loping off the stock would be a crying shame, your rifle, your choice but do you want to make an old man cry.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:45 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile

I received several suggestions from posters and others regarding scoping this Steyr.

I went through about 8 scopes (took them off other rifles) looking for a fit, preferably best fit.

I ended up with Burris Mounts (thanks Gerald) and the Burris Timberline AO scope. I did have to remove the rear sight leaf(leaves?) (a pair of folding). I've clearly labeled this rear sight insert because I doubt anyone will see it again before it is inherited some day. I'll make sure my son knows about it.

While the little 4X that came with it is nice and looks great on the rifle, the Burris has longer eye relief and I like being able to crank of up the magnification. The AO is something I prefer as well.

The 4X will go on a youth Keystone 722 or CZ Youth 457 for the grandchildren.

I'll take some pictures after church and post here with the Burris.

I really like this little rifle. It feels nice, slim, sleek, and balanced in the hand, like my BRNO #1.

The LOP remains an issue. The LOP to the rear trigger is 13". The LOP to the front trigger is 14". I have to adjust my grip from the real to the front to make this work. Awkard. If I have a gunsmith trim this stock down I'll want to make sure she can retain 100% of the lines. The end of the butt is slightly curved and the butt plate (hard plastic) is in perfect condition. That curve must be maintained. I'm probably talking 1/2-3/4" of reduction. That will make the rear LOP a bit compressed but the front trigger perfect. I could of course keep the piece that is cut off with the original butt plate, but I don't think that would be practical, surely no one would ever want to reattach a piece with a kerf width missing?

Yesterday I shot a few magazines of CCI HP with the 4X attached. I found myself pulling the rear trigger to activate the front trigger even before I had fully settled on the sight picture. Then I settled into the front trigger with an appropriately adjusted grip so I could reach it from the front instead of the side. Very annoying.

Interestingly, my Zephyr II WMR also came with a 14" LOP. I had it reduced by the gunsmith to 13.25 or 13.5 (I'd have to check to remember). It fits great and unless someone knew it had been modified, one would ever known.

I realize some who find such an LOP move awful (and I understand) They might suggest that I undergo shoulder surgery to create a "dip" in my skeletal structure so the gun would fit me.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:09 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Have a second stock made.

Problem will be solved if you just get a second stock made for the rifle. You will get all the value back if you ever sell it.