British Shooting Corner - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Isn't that an oyxmoron?

Wasn't the last time there was any 'British Shooting' April 19, 1775? I understand Captain John Parker then gave an exceptional demonstration of colonial shooting, a “veritable furnace of musketry”
I served with some Royal Marines who would certainly take umbrage at that sort of talk.

Big friendly bushy mustachioed lads. Good hands at drinking and fighting both, and never to be trifled with. I had nothing but utmost respect for them.

Frank
Old 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM
Iain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0199 View Post
First photo above was in the London & Middlesex Rifle Association clubhouse (near 20 years ago, wonder if it is still there?) at Bisley. Second photo was near the NRA Building.
Still there Eagle and although the decor has changed, a very popular watering hole it is too

Iain
Old 03-31-2021, 12:32 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
I like the idea.

One question I have concerns the Chunnel and how, when, and where do drivers switch driving from left side of road to right side in France.

I ask because my wife likes to watch "Return to the Chateau" where a British couple are living in an old French Chateau but are driving British cars.
fwiw,

the "chunnel" isnt used by locals....and pegs you as not a local. but i know what you mean..

but i drove/passenger from the UK > France. It was mentioned by the car rental to move/switch the headlights over to the other side. Driving onto the Eurostar was cool and different. The ride was way cool back then too.

I never got to drive at night was only in France for a few more days.

But it was interesting to drive a right hand drive car on the left side of the road and also back in the UK, driving.

I was also lucky to get an automatic way back then since i never drove a manual. but from the UK person doing most of the driving, it would depend on the car make if the wiper/turn stalks were swapped and some other things.

teh car i rented had a "power switch" to dump? more fuel into the engine so you could pass. without it, it was a gutless wonder. I didnt know about it at first and when the UK driver took over he was trying to pass w/o any luck and asked if i knew where the switch was. when it was found and depressed, it was obvious what it was for and what it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 12:33 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Still there Eagle and although the decor has changed, a very popular watering hole it is too

Iain
Sadly, I was last at Bisley in '72, and JUST underage.... We went to the pub down the road.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 PM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
I like the idea!

Airguns: I can shoot a target downstairs in my man-cave or go outside to shoot in the backyard (weather permitting). I don't have to belong to a range.

Are airguns treated differently than powder burners? Just curious...

Airguns are practically unlicensed so long as they are below 12ftlbs kinetic energy and you are over 18 you can have one, in Scotland they have a licencing system for airguns which initially seemed quiet draconian but it actually opened the floodgates to more people applying for Firearm/Shotgun certificate's.
Best thing is if buying a "silencer for an airgun" you need no paperwork whatsoever, even though its the same as a rimfire can just one hasn't been proofed.

As a result the quality of airguns in the UK has always been high an airgun commands respect and is still quite useful on small holdings and for rabbits and Corvids at close range

Webley Service rifle

anything above 12ftlbs you need to put in on an FAC. most people don't bother however there some applications where a high powered airgun is preferable such as built up areas where pest control is an issue, also some police forces prefer them on small areas of land along with 17hmr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSibdxpFYek

Shotguns are a doddle to own, you actually have the right under law to posses a shotgun and have no need to provide a reason for possession (in theory) you just need secure storage and to complete an application form with one referee.

With an FAC Firearms certificate you need two referees and be with a club or have lots of land or written permission from someone with lots of land

Shotguns however restricted to 3 shots any more and you need to put them on a firearms cert, which is where it gets weird.

I could in theory buy a Saiga 12 semi auto slug gun, with a drum mag. but I cant own a centrefire semi auto rifle?

.22 semi autos are fine so are shotguns but pointy central bangy bullets are bad

Still you cant miss what you never had I was horrible with a pistol anyway Muzzle loading pistols however, are still allowed and there are some quite modern ones
Yes its a muzzle loader by Westlake engineering

We are strictly not allowed to have weapons for defensive purposes it is a target pistol.

The odd thing is the Isle of man which is a province, still has no ban on pistols and full auto weapons.

Most interestingly Northern Ireland is still allowed to have handguns as well, like they never had any issues with gun crime... cough cough.

As others have mentioned British TV shows guns as scary things baddies use unless its 007 then that's ok he's allowed.
in the 1970s-80s it was different guns where cool 1 in 25 people had a pistol before 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gpif0a0P8

The British general public are incredibly ignorant and falsely think all guns in the UK are banned a few realise that shotguns exist but falsely assume you are some kind of aristo/ or a survivalist if you go shooting. Most British people don't even know shooting is in the Olympics.

Most people don't really know much come to think of it

Silencers make perfect sense and many target shooters are now using them as they tend to increase accuracy and its nice not to have to wear ear defenders personally I think it should be mandatory on all public or shared ranges.

The Deslise Carbine in .45acp

Also loving the pics of the London and Middlesex rifle club yes it is indeed still there, of course its still there Bisley is stuck in a permanent time warp. I guarantee you the interior is exactly the same as when you visited, the only thing that does change is the beer.

The pavilion bar is still there although I heard rumour they where going to turn the pavilion into some kind of event hall for weddings etc
i love the weapons display above the bar, they even had a Korean K1a assault rifle up how the **** they got hold of that is beyond me

sorry about the cars no Rolls Royce's just some uncouth 'Merican hot roddy things

My favorite ale was called Group tightener when I asked last time they said it was discontinued...

Century range, the clue is in the name, nothing like a 1000 yards with Peep sights!

I'm going to enter the rimfire long range match later this year, they used to do a 500 yard rimfire comp many years ago!

P.S the whole place is flooded with Enfields, Martini's and Anschutz rifles the prices over here will make you cry...pennies

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/bsa/martini

We've not had any ammo shortages in the UK many shooters are opting for Lapua over Eley Tennex but as i write this I'm wearing my eley T shirt i simply love Tennex. SK is also very poplar on the gallery rifle circuit and the Std plus is simply amasing for the price. I'm keen to test out the Flatnose. RWS Club is still one of my favorites although it is very greasy, always goes bang and is super reliable in a 10/22

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-31-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: to say p.s
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Best thing is if buying a "silencer for an airgun" you need no paperwork whatsoever...
Same in the US, thankfully...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR6 rabbit, farm #2, 2-21.jpg (591.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:08 PM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice air rifle Evanix Semi auto?

unfortunately air rifles would also only be allowed in semi auto as a .22 the law is so poorly written.

Many years ago I almost bought a Zastava semi auto .177 Co2 target pistol, the importer didn't realise is was a semi and I'm not sure on the legality of owning it anymore,

it had the strangest mechanism ever it had a rear loading tube mag whereby, the previous pellet almost acted like a breech seal. One of those designs you cant work out why it worked so well, utterly flawless even with Sptizkugeln .177 points

still one of the best pellets ever made with the exception of the old and I stress old Eley Wasp.

Eley stopped making them and they went bad. The old tins command a high price as many vintage airguns use a 5.6mm rimfire bore and 5.5mm pellets form a poor seal and on some really old guns, just fall through the bore altogether

, my friend got his new for £90 I stupidly bought a Rhom Comp pistol which was nowhere near as much fun. luckily I traded it for my 1st Cz452 a Varmint with a nice simmons scope!

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-31-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:05 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
It would be a good place to share info and stories. Maybe over a pint or two.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:32 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The pavilion bar is still there although I heard rumour they where going to turn the pavilion into some kind of event hall for weddings etc
i love the weapons display above the bar, they even had a Korean K1a assault rifle up how the **** they got hold of that is beyond me

Century range, the clue is in the name, nothing like a 1000 yards with Peep sights!
From the above I am guessing you haven't been to Bisley for some time.

The Shooters Bar closed several years ago and the whole pavilion has been re-vamped for use as training facilities and other purposes.

If you want to do 1000 yards with peep sights you will need to go to Stickledown Range, as Century Range is a maximum of 600 yards, but does have over 100 firing points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
One question I have concerns the Chunnel and how, when, and where do drivers switch driving from left side of road to right side in France.

I ask because my wife likes to watch "Return to the Chateau" where a British couple are living in an old French Chateau but are driving British cars.
As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the Channel Tunnel uses trains to shuttle vehicles, so you sort yourself out in the terminals at either end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
We watch a lot of Brit, etc. TV shows and it never ceases to amaze me how the UK entertainment industry always has the actors react with abject horror whenever a firearm (especially handguns) is mentioned or shown. Training the masses in correct thought, I suppose. Does anyone read Orwell anymore over there?
I would tend to note that a lot of US shows also tend to depict firearms as being something largely used by the bad guys too and looked upon often unfavourably by other characters.

On a different tack though what is it with, mainly the cop shows, where if a Glock is drawn from a holster you next hear a 'click' as if a safety catch is being flicked off.

The other thing that bugs me is someone opens a revolver cylinder and spins it accompanied by some silly ratcheting sound.

Yes there are differences between US and UK culture and attitudes to firearms, but those of us who shoot and own guns have a lot of common ground too, so I don't see the need for a special area for shooters from different places.

Last edited by rockdrill; 04-01-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:20 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
in the 1970s-80s it was different guns where cool 1 in 25 people had a pistol before 1997.
I would suggest that those figures are optimistic.

UK population as of 1997 was approximately 58,000,000, number of shooters affected by the ban on handgun ownership was around 50,000.

So that was about 1 in 1160, although most of us owned multiple pistols / revolvers for different disciplines, I had ten before the legislation came into effect and some of my fellow shooters had up to forty or more on their FAC's.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:36 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I was in the process of joining the Marylebone Rifle and pistol club in 1996 when Dunblane happened.

We knew that the writing was on the wall for pistols. I walked away at that point and just stuck with my Shotgun Certificate. Silly really as they keep asking me to join them now!

Yes I haven't been to Bisley for a couple (maybe more) of years now due to work and other BS commitments. 90% of the time we just used the British sporting rifle club for doing running boar and deer shoots I barely noticed anything on the way in.

I miss the Running boar I was a crackshot at running target regularly used to get 90+

check out the Video, although this guy is doing it wrong you need to start the rifle in the rest position and have the but against your hip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQBhflSpLc

I may well enter that and the Mini McQueen this summer at the Phoenix or Imperial meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41sPQPj23g

Last edited by Discontinued; 04-01-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:20 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the Channel Tunnel uses trains to shuttle vehicles, so you sort yourself out in the terminals at either end.
Thanks for posting that. Makes perfect sense to do it this way. I have not seen any kind of documentary on the channel tunnel in many years, so was very uninformed.

In case people in the UK don't already know, firearms laws vary greatly here in the US by state. For example, in Arkansas an FBI instant background check is not required if the purchaser has a concealed carry permit, just fill out the form 4473.

EDIT: Arkansas is not the most "gun-friendly" state, however, partly because it does not allow for open carry. Guns & Ammo magazine annually publishes a descriptive list of the states ranked by least to most gun friendly. Arizona was the most gun friendly IIRC.

Last edited by toomanyguns; 04-03-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:35 AM
TinCanSailor942
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great thread & videos sir...

rick
Old 04-03-2021, 10:21 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How is the war against the American Grey Squirrel going?

Have heard that they have become very invasive, were dominating the native squirrels, and that attempts were being made to eliminate the imported American species.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:07 AM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I think a new forum to discuss international gun ownership, culture and rules would be a great idea. I traveled extensively to Europe before retiring and always enjoyed visiting the local sporting shops. Most of my time was in Germany, so Frankonia's gun department was always a treat to visit.

Art