Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
British Shooting Corner

Well after a bit of thought it dawned on me that we need a section for British shooters and our American cousins to see what life is like for us British shooters on this side of the pond.

Most of the British forums are practically dead and although its a bit cheeky, we do need a place to discuss shooting matters in the UK

Feel free to post any questions about British guns, shooting and hunting opportunities in the UK

We have quite different gun cultures in each country's and it would be good to hear from British and American shooters about the differences and similarities we have.

We can get Martinis and Anschutz for peanuts but no handguns and no semi centerfire rifles, although silencers are easily available.

in the mealtime check out British field sports channel and TGS Outdoors on you tube

Clay shooting with a .22 shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3W4cck1iXM

Deer stalking in Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23EcPYIIBo
Old 03-31-2021, 07:07 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well after a bit of thought it dawned on me that we need a section for British shooters and our American cousins to see what life is like for us British shooters on this side of the pond.
I like the idea.

One question I have concerns the Chunnel and how, when, and where do drivers switch driving from left side of road to right side in France.

I ask because my wife likes to watch "Return to the Chateau" where a British couple are living in an old French Chateau but are driving British cars.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:28 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I't be nice for some folks to see its a big world outside of their circle with others in different countries with like interests such as, shooting with different disciplines etc..

The wife adapted well being a lefty and stationed in Japan for 2 years, with the driver's seat on the right with a center floor mounted stick shift....driving on the wrong side of the road not so much for both of us. Coming home while she was on leave for 30 days and driving on the "correct" side of the road was a trip of which we did several times relearning which side to drive on each time! We were not good drivers @ intersections asking each other which side of the road to take when making a turn after a couple beers!
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
British Shooting?

Isn't that an oyxmoron?

Wasn't the last time there was any 'British Shooting' April 19, 1775? I understand Captain John Parker then gave an exceptional demonstration of colonial shooting, a “veritable furnace of musketry”
Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like the idea!

Airguns: I can shoot a target downstairs in my man-cave or go outside to shoot in the backyard (weather permitting). I don't have to belong to a range.

Are airguns treated differently than powder burners? Just curious...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 03-31-2021, 08:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This is how colonization starts. “ Could we have a corner , please?” Next thing you know they’ll be wanting us to drink warm beer , and play cricket .
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Warm beer has more flavor, thats why the cheap tasteless 'brews' need to be chilled!
Or is it that the Brits have Lucas refrigerators?
Sub-forum? YES
Btw, whereas the gun/hunting culture in GB used to be quite different from here in The States. I think we have become much more similar what with urbanization, restricted land access, anti-gun/hunting sentiments, etc. We are moving, perhaps more quickly than many realize, in that direction.
I have liked the combination of form and function of most Brit sporting arms, though that may be due to only people of some means could really entertain owning and using such indulgences?
The Rook and Rabbit rifles were much more practical, and elegant, than the American 'utilitatian' versions, mostly in 22rf, though the early day 25 and 32rf's were better 'small game and varmint' calibers. I once had a Stevens Mdl 44 in 32-20 that was marvelous. Ive lusted after a Brit R&R for years but the prices here are too much for me.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I't be nice for some folks to see its a big world outside of their circle with others in different countries with like interests such as, shooting with different disciplines etc..

The wife adapted well being a lefty and stationed in Japan for 2 years, with the driver's seat on the right with a center floor mounted stick shift....driving on the wrong side of the road not so much for both of us. Coming home while she was on leave for 30 days and driving on the "correct" side of the road was a trip of which we did several times relearning which side to drive on each time! We were not good drivers @ intersections asking each other which side of the road to take when making a turn after a couple beers!
How on earth can you use your sword to dispense with ruffians when driving on the Napoleonic side of the road?

No wonder you adopted those revolver things

and its handy when visiting Japan and Australia they are into swords too well kind of.

Yes it takes me a few weeks to get used to the Euro side of the road until i hat a large traffic junction or I'm a pedestrian then it becomes very confusing having to rubberneck every single time. If I was drunk i would rely on a cousin or taxi driver to guide me home

The Chunnel uses a train system that strong arms you into driving in the European way a little like a slot car you cant escape. Many people here in the UK go on day trips to France to buy fine wine and nice food as it is vastly cheaper there,

they also have some interesting gun laws and a fascination with 9mm flobert rimfire shot pistols and Velo dogs also known as Grenaisle guns and a hatred of military calibres. As well as very dangerous fireworks!

interestingly enough over here its not as hard as people think to own a gun just a little arduous as you need to be in a club which isn't that hard to find you have to be a regular attendee for a minimum of 3 months or 12 visits, although some clubs like more.

Alternatively if you are landed gentry or lotto winner/Soccer player and have a vast tracts of land then you need no club at all just a cabinet to secure the firearm and separate safe for the ammunition. provided the land is suitable for certain calibres, you need to contact your local police force and they have guys who will come and survey the land in order to work out if the calibres you requested are reasonable to use on that patch of land, these guys are shooters and hunters themselves and seeing as the UK is so tiny you have to make dam sure your shot has no way of leaving your property otherwise you will be in serious pooh!

but you would be surprised how if you construct a no danger area range they would let you have permission to shoot even in a large garden, I knew of a fellow who was allowed to use his silenced .308 on 2 acres of land in a London suburb as he had a large hill at the back of his 30 yard garden

Of course it helps to join the UK NRA as well!

however ours is very different you yours, its more like Wimbledon tennis association or something along those lines. i urge any one who ever visits England to pay a visit to Bisley it genuinely feels like Edwardian England the club houses are beautiful almost like the times of the British Raj when we ruled the world (stole everything)

it honesty hasn't changed in 100 years the clip below was made in the early 80's and literally nothing has changed even the fashion sense remains the same. Just the guns have changed, well some of them anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKSGl0cEFM

The greatest prize in all shooting! The Queens Prize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UT2dG7qI7Y

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-31-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Be interesting to hear the ammo situation across the pond. What was the Covid impact to European match ammo manufacturing and consumption?

Have European shooters noticed a preference when comparing current lots of Lapua and Eley?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:09 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Warm beer has more flavor, thats why the cheap tasteless 'brews' need to be chilled!

Pearls before swine my friend, pearls before swine.

Any culture where Coors Light is a popular "beer" will never really be a beer drinking culture.

As to differences in gun culture here and in the UK, the gap is huge in many areas and perhaps not so wide in others. I find it somewhat ludicrous that "silencers" are embraced/tolerated by politicians in the UK, but are viewed as the worst of the devil's work by our fine, elected representatives.

We watch a lot of Brit, etc. TV shows and it never ceases to amaze me how the UK entertainment industry always has the actors react with abject horror whenever a firearm (especially handguns) is mentioned or shown. Training the masses in correct thought, I suppose. Does anyone read Orwell anymore over there?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:12 AM

Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a friend in Shropshire that has visited a few times. He had never fired a rifle or pistol, only shotguns and pellet guns. The pellet gun experience was obviously a good thing, he is a good shot. The first visit was brief, just enough time to shoot my 45-70 rolling block and S&W 9MM pistol. In later visits he has shot everything from 22lr to 45-70s and enjoyed himself. Since the OP mentioned colonization, I have a theory as to why the British searched the ends of the earth... they were looking for something good to eat.
FM
Old 03-31-2021, 10:36 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was saddened to see this sign when I visited Bisley to shoot:

But then I saw the next sign and things got better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unfair Legislation.jpg (233.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Bisley Pavilion.jpg (14.6 KB, 263 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Any culture where Coors Light is a popular "beer" will never really be a beer drinking culture.
Pretty wide brush Gunfrued. I'd truly be a rich man were I to get a nickel for every beer consumed on superbowl culture day.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First photo above was in the London & Middlesex Rifle Association clubhouse (near 20 years ago, wonder if it is still there?) at Bisley. Second photo was near the NRA Building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London & Middlesex.jpg (36.2 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg NRA.jpg (18.9 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by Eagle0199; 03-31-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post

Most of the British forums are practically dead and although its a bit cheeky, we do need a place to discuss shooting matters in the UK

< snippage! >
Good thought. Although a native US-er, I grew up in the UK and was on the school shooting team, 22s and 303s. Moved back to the States at the age of 29 with a British family, and started shooting again. VERY different feeling even then, and from what I hear from friends in the UK that do still shoot, it is a world away from what I remember now.