Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:07 PM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Wifi booster question

My wife's shop is about 80 feet from where our router is located. It is on the far side of the house and garage. Her internet is hit and miss. Some days it is nearly as good as it can be and other days she can't even get online.
My question: are these "boosters" really the answer or is there some other option for trying to get her reliable internet service?
If the "booster" is a viable fix, what brand and model do you folks recommend?
Old 06-02-2021, 03:14 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hi Roy, while we're waiting for an expert I'll give you my layman's opinion. Yes, for extending wi-fi signal range to a fixed device a booster can help a lot. Here's a low end model that gets pretty good reviews https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750...2662544&sr=8-4

Other options would be to try and raise the height of your wi-fi modem and/or move it to a closer/less obstructed location. Another probably unpalatable solution would be running an ethernet cable directly from her computer to the modem. That would really speed things up.

Just a few thoughts,

Frank
Old 06-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a wi-fi repeater in my house. It works - mostly. On occasion, it doesn't. I'm eventually going to run a hard line to my library where my computer is.

Netgear or D-Link. Avoid Belkin anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2021, 06:46 PM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I had to extend my Wi-Fi when we dumped satellite TV for streaming. I bought the TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System from Costco. This is a pod type system, meaning that the first pod hooks to your DSL router then expands your wireless coverage by connecting to the other remote pods. My router is in the basement. Second pod is on the first floor in the great room, third is upstairs in the loft office. Improved coverage tremendously.

Art

Last edited by Artd; 06-03-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:00 PM
NVaVettes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
We had good luck with getting better coverage w/ the Eero mesh network setup.

It works in the same way as Artd described above.

Good luck!

(I do not recommend a single 'extender' type box that creates an additional new wi-fi ssid. Been there, done that. Sucked.)

Last edited by NVaVettes; 06-02-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:10 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never had any luck with the boosters. YMMV

If you can run an Ethernet cable from your router to your wife's office you can put in a wireless access point. Or just plug it into her computer. I did that for my garage.

Recently we needed to get better WiFi to my MiL's portion of the house. So I put in a google Nest mesh system. Easy to set up, great WiFi everywhere.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are using a desktop with a WiFi card that has external antenna. I would try a directional antenna. Not recommending this particular one. Just to give you an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z4I7WQ...F1JTA9R9708HWR

Sent from my 9029Z using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2021, 09:20 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
We've had a Netgear Orbi for about 5 years, works great...not the cheapest but with the main router in my office and the satellite in our bedroom at extreme ends of the house its done the job for us.