Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Squires Bingham
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Remington Cyclone Ammo?

Whats the big deal about these? I've seen them on sale sometimes for $17 for 500 rounds. Anyone tried them?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
JetGirl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squires Bingham View Post

Whats the big deal about these? I've seen them on sale sometimes for $17 for 500 rounds. Anyone tried them?
I have.
Cyclones are the HP version of the RN Thunderbolts. They shoot decently in the bolt actions, but in the pistol they FTF (fail to feed). I think they get hung up on that flat nosed area.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
cp1969

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never shot any but unless they're produced on another production line than other Remington ammo, I would prepare for disappointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
ez_lle71
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do believe they are just hollowpoint thunderbolts. You can try em, if they shoot good for ya then wooohooo! if not your not out too much.
ez

Sorry jetgirl i was too slow in posting my reply!

Last edited by ez_lle71; 07-19-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
SmallCal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cyclones

I`ve heard all kinds of tales about them.
My experience is that if you can keep them on the big section of the target paper at 50 yds you are doing fairly well. Variable sound and vertical stringing at any disatnce is pretty much the norm for them in my rifles. I gave away the last few I had to the neighbor kids for plinking at soda cans and such unimportant things. They managed to mangle a few cans with them from time to time. I relly do like them though, but only for the neighbor kids to shoot.
SmallCal
Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
captdavid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm new to paper punching 22s but not to target practice with centerfires. I'm capable of sub inch groups at 100yards (centerfire) if the gun is. In my 541S Cyclones shoot better than velicitors, Fed bukk HPs, WW PPs, Aguilar, remington green box HPs, and about as well as rem/eleyclub match. I like the Cyclone. I shoot in windy conditions, 10-20mph and gusty. It will put 3-4 within 1/2" with usually one flyer or two that opens the group. I try to shoot between gusts. I've had several sub inch groups but most, due to one flyer, go to about 1.25". I don't think I've ever shoot worse than 1.5". The Rem/Ely shoots alittle better but about the same without as many 'wild' flyers. It's certainly not worth 5xs as much to me. This is a small test of around 100 cyclones and 30 or so rounds of the other after the barrel has been seasoned with the correct ammo. Sorry it was so long. capt david
FWIW, All shooting is off sandbags at 50yds. Ive had one missfire.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the Remington Cyclone is an excellent HP high velocity load, far better than the CC MiniMags. In fact the only HP high velocity I have found that shoots better is the now discontinued Lapua HP which is $78 a brick. The only downside besides the chinzy packaging for me is that I have to pay $30 a brick for them. For that reason I prefer the Dynapoints for heavy bulk shooting which I can get for $18. The Dynapoints are definitely not as good in my gun. I just did a test between these two load while experimenting with adding STP as a lube. See this thread. As before the Cyclones outshot the Dynapoints. (They did not like my STP lube though!!). See this link if you want to see the comparable group sizes.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=233197&page=2

If I could get Cyclones for $17 I would buy at least a couple of cases. Here is how the various loads ranked for me in my Savage BTVS.

Ron
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
osiristheclown

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wouldn't put them through my worst enemys rifle, and I certainly wouldn't put them through anything I own. They wouldn't cycle my model 60, my 1022, MKII, either 22A, or 597 with any type of consistency. These guns all function perfectly with the mini mags though, and the model 60 will consume just about anything. In order to be an "excellent" HV round the Cyclones would need to be HV on a regular basis, sometimes they sound normal and other times they sound like a subsonic. This happens in my bolt guns also, so it's not a confined issue with being an autoloader. My local indoor range won't sell any Remington ammo at all, too many complaints.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I've tried Cyclones in every rifle I have or have ever owned and they would not shoot under an inch in any of them. For me, they are JUNK. Others like them. You just have to test them in your rifle to see if the will shoot to YOUR specs. They will not even come close to mine. You get what you pay for. Mileage may vary.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
gibbled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought two bricks of these when I picked up my K10/22T. They are terribly dirty on my hands and really foul the actions in my semi auto's. some rounds go BANG, some go bang and some go pop. I've had the occasional one go click too.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Deltaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good for shooting cans !
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Superbolt Cheap Ammo Challenge requires you to shoot four 4 shot groups that average 0.750" or better center to center at 50 yards. When I gave this a quick try I got 5 qualifying targets out of 6 attempts using Remington Cyclones. With Winchester Dynapoints I got 1 qualifying target out of 6 attempts.

On failures to fire, I believe this is a gun issue, and not an ammo issue. I went close to 2000 rounds including many Remingtons without a single misfire. I have since had a handfull, and I will readily admit they were due to my poor maintenance of the gun (too much oil in the bolt), and not the fault of the ammo.

Ron
Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Rocky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My go to "cheap" (prices around here have risen to about $25.00 a brick) ammo that doubles as a squirrel round in the fall for a couple of my lower end rimfire rifles. Works great in my Norinco TT Olympia semi pistol. Once in a while I get a misfire but other then that good stuff.

Rocky
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Hank Ellis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If they work for you, great. I wasn't impressed, however.

Shot the Cyclones over the chrono. Technically they shot like poopy.
10/22 - Avg Vel. 1238.2, ES 205.4, SD 38.0
MKII - Avg Vel. 1110.4, ES 207.3, SD 39.9
Taurus 94 - Avg Vel. 928.2, ES 249.0, SD 65.2

With such poor results I didn't try for groups. I'll give them one last try in a CZ452. There has to be something they will shoot good in.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
andersonar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if they meant them for target competition they wouldn't sell them for 1.70/50.