adding a peep sight to an old parts Mossberg. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:13 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
adding a peep sight to an old parts Mossberg.

I put together a single shot rifle using various parts on a Mossberg Model C stock. I planned to shoot the really under powered Aguila Colibri ammo but it didn't work out so I plan to replace the shortened barrel with a longer one because barrel length means less noise with the really low power rounds. Right now I have Unertl style bases on the rifle so I can use a Wollensak 3/4" scope with external adjustments. With the barrel change I would prefer removing the scope mounts and adding a rear peep sight and front globe sight since my backyard range is only 25 yards. I figured I could add the OM22 peep sight sold at Havlin's -- but -- I hate cutting the stock so the long mounting tab on the peep sight can fit. I am almost positive that at one time I saw a Model C with a rear peep sight but with a blade front sight. I guess since this is an all parts rifle using various Mossberg parts but trying to keep the personality of the original Model C, cutting that little notch in the stock won't hurt too much. Has anyone here ever seen a Mossberg Model C with a rear target peep sight on it? At this time I can't really afford a true Mossberg rear peep sight and since it's a various parts rifle I figured the Havlin sight would fit right in. The picture below is the rifle now with the 16.6" barrel and scope.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
There are several peep sights that mount above the stock line, meaning no cutting of the stock. So that will put your mounting holes up around the 10-11 o-clock position like the Mossberg S330. There is also the lymam 55RW and RWS, some of the savage peep sight mount up high as well. Williams has a few, not sure if the Havilins has a replacement for the S330. There are a bunch of different type of clamp on globe sights, so if you find some of this nature, there would be not need to drill or cut a dovetail in the barrel for a sight.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:55 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bone,
That would be great if they didn't require any modification to the stock. This is what Havlin's has to say about their adjustable peep sight and I have one.

"Mossberg 22 Target Peep sight, manufacture with deluxe aperture disc, adjustable windage and elevation, brushed alloy finish, replaces S100, S130, S108 and S331 Mossberg sights without modification. Also replaces S104 or No 4 peep sight – may require stock modification to accommodate mounting bracket. Screws provided.

I have a 144 LSA with the Lyman 57M rear sight and its close to the shape and size of the one sold by Havlin's and it would need a bit of shaving on the stock. Guess I'll just have to bit the bullet and make it fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 05:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
All of those you mentioned mount at a 9 o’clock position which would require modifications to the stock. The others I mentioned above mount up higher on the rcvr.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Here are three different sights I pulled out, as you see they all clear the stock on this Winchester 67. It was near, so I used it for the example, all three sights are made different and have a different view. The only one that will not function on the 67 is the mossberg S330, as it will not clear the end of the bolt and safety tab.

But with the 100 series bolt that you have, either of these will do the job on your rifle. So at least this will give you something to go off of.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:55 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
Here are three different sights I pulled out, as you see they all clear the stock on this Winchester 67. It was near, so I used it for the example, all three sights are made different and have a different view. The only one that will not function on the 67 is the mossberg S330, as it will not clear the end of the bolt and safety tab.

But with the 100 series bolt that you have, either of these will do the job on your rifle. So at least this will give you something to go off of.

Bone,
You have gone to a lot a trouble to find a sight that will work and Heaven knows i appreciate it but I'm not sure I can afford any of those. The reality of this is my rifle is a true Mossberg parts rifle with a little of this and that. I would prefer to get an S 100 sight that I have my eye on since it will swing out of the way for bolt removal. I decided to order a longer barrel so I'll be taking this rifle apart. I have another single shot that has a really nice port for inserting a round in the chamber and I feel this Model C stocked rifle will be better without that scope since it is over the port area and is the reason for my wanting a target peep sight for the rifle. I have a 44US(b) that I believe used an S100 rear sight so if I find one for the rifle I'm working on I can later install it on the 44 where it belongs. I still need to get that ramp front sight for the 44 but need to keep an eye on my pennies.

Thanks for your help -- a picture is worth a 1000 words,
Charlie (boomer)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
it was no trouble, everything was near at hand which made it easy.