Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Hip's Ax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax

Wouldn't Phil Scholl (spelling) maybe have the records or at least some knowledge on this? I remember he was the "Redfield Man" who had all the parts and was refurbishing everybody's sights a while back. I think I have contact info for him at work.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
OMG I just remembered your last name. Is it 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco and 10% canola oil?!?!

I am using a tweaked version of that lube now, I replaced the 10% canola with 5% jojoba and 5% lanolin. Going to try incorperating some soy wax soon but the formula I just stated has been working wonderfully!!
Hip's Ax,
Dad used many formulations(actually, Mom did most of the mixing). The one I remember best was 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 10% vegetable oil or Canola oil. You are stretching my memory here. This goes back to the mid 60's!
Steve
Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM
cattle buyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure wish I had the Wolf lube formula as after shooting 50 rounds of wolf I have switched to other ammo ( Fed auto match I think) and the first 5 to 10 round shot like a house afire ! I have also noticed that if I let the barrel cool it shot to a different POI as well, My best groups with mt mod 52 target have been when I held the gun tight and ran or shot as fast as I could ! very best all
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
cattle buyer,

I too noticed I have a higher score if I shoot faster. The joystick rest is a huge help in that, as our club matches in .22 benchrest are for score, not for group. W/ a joystick, one can move from one bull to the next bull quickly.

I too think that once the lube in the barrel warms, the bullet placement will shift ever so slightly if the lube cools or worse, if condensation firms in the barrel.

This issue us way more noticeable in precision match rifles, due to the level of repeatability. Basic sporters mask the slight change in POI. The shooter atributes it to wind, holding etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattle buyer View Post
I sure wish I had the Wolf lube formula as after shooting 50 rounds of wolf I have switched to other ammo ( Fed auto match I think) and the first 5 to 10 round shot like a house afire ! I have also noticed that if I let the barrel cool it shot to a different POI as well, My best groups with mt mod 52 target have been when I held the gun tight and ran or shot as fast as I could ! very best all
Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
glp
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The other aspect of shooting fast...

Is that if you have flags and catch a stable condition you can capitalize on it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A Flag(s) and a wind probe.

The wind can be running in the same direction, but if it increases or decreases in intensity, the bullet POI will shift left or right from zero. The scale on probe will show the difference from the condition in which the rifle was zeroed.

Now the shooter has 2 options. Either wait for the probe indicator to return to the zero condition (in the meantime, put rounds in the sighter to keep the barrel warm),

OR, learn (by working the sighter bull) or already know the amount of hold-off required with the new intensity.

Our last match, (on the last target no less) the probe disclosed a major shift in wind intensity, that began after I put my bullet in the first bull. So I went to the sighter. It took me 2 bullets in the sighter to learn the amount of hold-off. I ran the last 4 bulls fast; while the new condition was present.

In situations like that, one must consider the time clock too. If time is running out, there may not be enough time to do a protracted investigation of the condition. Knowing how much hold-off is required (for a given lot of ammo) for each graduation on the probe scale is a good thing to know!

I got my probe from a fellow in Ennis Texas. He advertises on Benchrest Central.

Spend the extra $ for the dampened probe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post
Is that if you have flags and catch a stable condition you can capitalize on it.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
glp
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ultra

yes probes too. I have two of Gene Beggs' units and really like them. There have been times when I shot just probes at IBS 100 yard score matches. Most of the time its flags and probes.

Only downside is they aren't good in the rain as the cups get water on them and keel over. --Greg
Old 06-10-2021, 03:32 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bringing up an OOOLD thread.

I just purchased a MK 10 sight from a gentleman on another forum, S/N E25444, 1/8 minute clicks. It came with the box and correct paperwork, the sight is in shooter condition. Someone stripped or lost the set screw in the graduated barrel on the vertical adjustment knob and drilled and tapped another hole for a larger set screw, I'd like to find another but have no illusions of that happening. The screw heads show use and it's been on a LH rifle at some point, but I'm satisfied with it for the price. this sight has three sets of dowel holes for more vertical adjustment. It'll make a nice addition to my E.

Does anyone have any information not already posted here.

Thanks, Justin