Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
British Shooting Corner

Well after a bit of thought it dawned on me that we need a section for British shooters and our American cousins to see what life is like for us British shooters on this side of the pond.

Most of the British forums are practically dead and although its a bit cheeky, we do need a place to discuss shooting matters in the UK

Feel free to post any questions about British guns, shooting and hunting opportunities in the UK

We have quite different gun cultures in each country's and it would be good to hear from British and American shooters about the differences and similarities we have.

We can get Martinis and Anschutz for peanuts but no handguns and no semi centerfire rifles, although silencers are easily available.

in the mealtime check out British field sports channel and TGS Outdoors on you tube

Clay shooting with a .22 shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3W4cck1iXM

Deer stalking in Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23EcPYIIBo
Old 03-31-2021, 07:07 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well after a bit of thought it dawned on me that we need a section for British shooters and our American cousins to see what life is like for us British shooters on this side of the pond.
I like the idea.

One question I have concerns the Chunnel and how, when, and where do drivers switch driving from left side of road to right side in France.

I ask because my wife likes to watch "Return to the Chateau" where a British couple are living in an old French Chateau but are driving British cars.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:28 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I't be nice for some folks to see its a big world outside of their circle with others in different countries with like interests such as, shooting with different disciplines etc..

The wife adapted well being a lefty and stationed in Japan for 2 years, with the driver's seat on the right with a center floor mounted stick shift....driving on the wrong side of the road not so much for both of us. Coming home while she was on leave for 30 days and driving on the "correct" side of the road was a trip of which we did several times relearning which side to drive on each time! We were not good drivers @ intersections asking each other which side of the road to take when making a turn after a couple beers!
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
British Shooting?

Isn't that an oyxmoron?

Wasn't the last time there was any 'British Shooting' April 19, 1775? I understand Captain John Parker then gave an exceptional demonstration of colonial shooting, a “veritable furnace of musketry”
Old 03-31-2021, 08:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This is how colonization starts. “ Could we have a corner , please?” Next thing you know they’ll be wanting us to drink warm beer , and play cricket .
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Warm beer has more flavor, thats why the cheap tasteless 'brews' need to be chilled!
Or is it that the Brits have Lucas refrigerators?
Sub-forum? YES
Btw, whereas the gun/hunting culture in GB used to be quite different from here in The States. I think we have become much more similar what with urbanization, restricted land access, anti-gun/hunting sentiments, etc. We are moving, perhaps more quickly than many realize, in that direction.
I have liked the combination of form and function of most Brit sporting arms, though that may be due to only people of some means could really entertain owning and using such indulgences?
The Rook and Rabbit rifles were much more practical, and elegant, than the American 'utilitatian' versions, mostly in 22rf, though the early day 25 and 32rf's were better 'small game and varmint' calibers. I once had a Stevens Mdl 44 in 32-20 that was marvelous. Ive lusted after a Brit R&R for years but the prices here are too much for me.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Isn't that an oyxmoron?

Wasn't the last time there was any 'British Shooting' April 19, 1775? I understand Captain John Parker then gave an exceptional demonstration of colonial shooting, a “veritable furnace of musketry”
I served with some Royal Marines who would certainly take umbrage at that sort of talk.

Big friendly bushy mustachioed lads. Good hands at drinking and fighting both, and never to be trifled with. I had nothing but utmost respect for them.

Frank
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I served with some Royal Marines who would certainly take umbrage at that sort of talk.

Big friendly bushy mustachioed lads. Good hands at drinking and fighting both, and never to be trifled with. I had nothing but utmost respect for them.

Frank
I think the 24th Regiment of Foot did some great shooting!
Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like the idea!

Airguns: I can shoot a target downstairs in my man-cave or go outside to shoot in the backyard (weather permitting). I don't have to belong to a range.

Are airguns treated differently than powder burners? Just curious...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 PM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
I like the idea!

Airguns: I can shoot a target downstairs in my man-cave or go outside to shoot in the backyard (weather permitting). I don't have to belong to a range.

Are airguns treated differently than powder burners? Just curious...

Airguns are practically unlicensed so long as they are below 12ftlbs kinetic energy and you are over 18 you can have one, in Scotland they have a licencing system for airguns which initially seemed quiet draconian but it actually opened the floodgates to more people applying for Firearm/Shotgun certificate's.
Best thing is if buying a "silencer for an airgun" you need no paperwork whatsoever, even though its the same as a rimfire can just one hasn't been proofed.

As a result the quality of airguns in the UK has always been high an airgun commands respect and is still quite useful on small holdings and for rabbits and Corvids at close range

Webley Service rifle

anything above 12ftlbs you need to put in on an FAC. most people don't bother however there some applications where a high powered airgun is preferable such as built up areas where pest control is an issue, also some police forces prefer them on small areas of land along with 17hmr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSibdxpFYek

Shotguns are a doddle to own, you actually have the right under law to posses a shotgun and have no need to provide a reason for possession (in theory) you just need secure storage and to complete an application form with one referee.

With an FAC Firearms certificate you need two referees and be with a club or have lots of land or written permission from someone with lots of land

Shotguns however restricted to 3 shots any more and you need to put them on a firearms cert, which is where it gets weird.

I could in theory buy a Saiga 12 semi auto slug gun, with a drum mag. but I cant own a centrefire semi auto rifle?

.22 semi autos are fine so are shotguns but pointy central bangy bullets are bad

Still you cant miss what you never had I was horrible with a pistol anyway Muzzle loading pistols however, are still allowed and there are some quite modern ones
Yes its a muzzle loader by Westlake engineering

We are strictly not allowed to have weapons for defensive purposes it is a target pistol.

The odd thing is the Isle of man which is a province, still has no ban on pistols and full auto weapons.

Most interestingly Northern Ireland is still allowed to have handguns as well, like they never had any issues with gun crime... cough cough.

As others have mentioned British TV shows guns as scary things baddies use unless its 007 then that's ok he's allowed.
in the 1970s-80s it was different guns where cool 1 in 25 people had a pistol before 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gpif0a0P8

The British general public are incredibly ignorant and falsely think all guns in the UK are banned a few realise that shotguns exist but falsely assume you are some kind of aristo/ or a survivalist if you go shooting. Most British people don't even know shooting is in the Olympics.

Most people don't really know much come to think of it

Silencers make perfect sense and many target shooters are now using them as they tend to increase accuracy and its nice not to have to wear ear defenders personally I think it should be mandatory on all public or shared ranges.

The Deslise Carbine in .45acp

Also loving the pics of the London and Middlesex rifle club yes it is indeed still there, of course its still there Bisley is stuck in a permanent time warp. I guarantee you the interior is exactly the same as when you visited, the only thing that does change is the beer.

The pavilion bar is still there although I heard rumour they where going to turn the pavilion into some kind of event hall for weddings etc
i love the weapons display above the bar, they even had a Korean K1a assault rifle up how the **** they got hold of that is beyond me

sorry about the cars no Rolls Royce's just some uncouth 'Merican hot roddy things

My favorite ale was called Group tightener when I asked last time they said it was discontinued...

Century range, the clue is in the name, nothing like a 1000 yards with Peep sights!

I'm going to enter the rimfire long range match later this year, they used to do a 500 yard rimfire comp many years ago!

P.S the whole place is flooded with Enfields, Martini's and Anschutz rifles the prices over here will make you cry...pennies

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/bsa/martini

We've not had any ammo shortages in the UK many shooters are opting for Lapua over Eley Tennex but as i write this I'm wearing my eley T shirt i simply love Tennex. SK is also very poplar on the gallery rifle circuit and the Std plus is simply amasing for the price. I'm keen to test out the Flatnose. RWS Club is still one of my favorites although it is very greasy, always goes bang and is super reliable in a 10/22

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-31-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: to say p.s
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Best thing is if buying a "silencer for an airgun" you need no paperwork whatsoever...
Same in the US, thankfully...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR6 rabbit, farm #2, 2-21.jpg (591.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I't be nice for some folks to see its a big world outside of their circle with others in different countries with like interests such as, shooting with different disciplines etc..

The wife adapted well being a lefty and stationed in Japan for 2 years, with the driver's seat on the right with a center floor mounted stick shift....driving on the wrong side of the road not so much for both of us. Coming home while she was on leave for 30 days and driving on the "correct" side of the road was a trip of which we did several times relearning which side to drive on each time! We were not good drivers @ intersections asking each other which side of the road to take when making a turn after a couple beers!
How on earth can you use your sword to dispense with ruffians when driving on the Napoleonic side of the road?

No wonder you adopted those revolver things

and its handy when visiting Japan and Australia they are into swords too well kind of.

Yes it takes me a few weeks to get used to the Euro side of the road until i hat a large traffic junction or I'm a pedestrian then it becomes very confusing having to rubberneck every single time. If I was drunk i would rely on a cousin or taxi driver to guide me home

The Chunnel uses a train system that strong arms you into driving in the European way a little like a slot car you cant escape. Many people here in the UK go on day trips to France to buy fine wine and nice food as it is vastly cheaper there,

they also have some interesting gun laws and a fascination with 9mm flobert rimfire shot pistols and Velo dogs also known as Grenaisle guns and a hatred of military calibres. As well as very dangerous fireworks!

interestingly enough over here its not as hard as people think to own a gun just a little arduous as you need to be in a club which isn't that hard to find you have to be a regular attendee for a minimum of 3 months or 12 visits, although some clubs like more.

Alternatively if you are landed gentry or lotto winner/Soccer player and have a vast tracts of land then you need no club at all just a cabinet to secure the firearm and separate safe for the ammunition. provided the land is suitable for certain calibres, you need to contact your local police force and they have guys who will come and survey the land in order to work out if the calibres you requested are reasonable to use on that patch of land, these guys are shooters and hunters themselves and seeing as the UK is so tiny you have to make dam sure your shot has no way of leaving your property otherwise you will be in serious pooh!

but you would be surprised how if you construct a no danger area range they would let you have permission to shoot even in a large garden, I knew of a fellow who was allowed to use his silenced .308 on 2 acres of land in a London suburb as he had a large hill at the back of his 30 yard garden

Of course it helps to join the UK NRA as well!

however ours is very different you yours, its more like Wimbledon tennis association or something along those lines. i urge any one who ever visits England to pay a visit to Bisley it genuinely feels like Edwardian England the club houses are beautiful almost like the times of the British Raj when we ruled the world (stole everything)

it honesty hasn't changed in 100 years the clip below was made in the early 80's and literally nothing has changed even the fashion sense remains the same. Just the guns have changed, well some of them anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKSGl0cEFM

The greatest prize in all shooting! The Queens Prize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UT2dG7qI7Y

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-31-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:32 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
I like the idea.

One question I have concerns the Chunnel and how, when, and where do drivers switch driving from left side of road to right side in France.

I ask because my wife likes to watch "Return to the Chateau" where a British couple are living in an old French Chateau but are driving British cars.
fwiw,

the "chunnel" isnt used by locals....and pegs you as not a local. but i know what you mean..

but i drove/passenger from the UK > France. It was mentioned by the car rental to move/switch the headlights over to the other side. Driving onto the Eurostar was cool and different. The ride was way cool back then too.

I never got to drive at night was only in France for a few more days.

But it was interesting to drive a right hand drive car on the left side of the road and also back in the UK, driving.

I was also lucky to get an automatic way back then since i never drove a manual. but from the UK person doing most of the driving, it would depend on the car make if the wiper/turn stalks were swapped and some other things.

teh car i rented had a "power switch" to dump? more fuel into the engine so you could pass. without it, it was a gutless wonder. I didnt know about it at first and when the UK driver took over he was trying to pass w/o any luck and asked if i knew where the switch was. when it was found and depressed, it was obvious what it was for and what it did.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:21 AM
DDickie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
My only experience of travelling to France by vehicle was by ferry to Calais, where the exit route from the ferry port led to the correct side of the road for Continental driving.

I assume the Chunnel will have a similar arrangement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 06:28 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I hope you fire those cannon's on the 5th of Nov.