Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
LINUX

Any linux users here and I'm not talking system administrators and such, just average joes using it? If so what distribution and what problems have you encountered along the way?

Last edited by toppkatt; 03-09-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Linux Mint here. No issues, particularly. I use another computer for image processing, but have the GIMP installed on this Linux machine. Original machine was an HP Elitebook 84480p. Pulled out the OEM drive w/Windows, installed an SSD and booted from a jump drive. Install went smoothly and the computer has been humming along for web browsing, word processing (LibreOffice 6.0), light spreadshets, movies on Netflix ever since. Can't remember, but I think the machine is running 4 megs of RAM.

Mint recognized all the machine's device drivers, allows plug-n-play with an aux keyboard and mouse, reads jump drives, connects w/Wifi all without drama. No annoying sales pitches from Windows 10, no "updates" 'cept when I say so, no security issues, no viruses. . . it's all good.

Web browsing is Firefox, with Chrome for Linux as a backup. The thing is stable as anything -- I leave it on for weeks at a time. No crashes.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's the one I installed but mine isn't as smooth. I can't get the LINUX to recognize my WiFi hardware. If I plug the ethernet cable in I'm golden. Once I get that working I'm gonna get the Epson printer going then no more windows.
So I'm assuming the GIMP is photo editing software like photoshop, is that correct?
Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Yup. Image editing. GIMP does most of what Photoshop does, but a little less intuitive. "Save as jpg" is instead an "export" function. Stuff like that. You've got to do some menu-walking to figure stuff out. But it is free.

I actually looked for machines that had a good track record working with Linux and bought a refurb of a model that came to the top of the list in that search. Drivers are coded by Linux volunteers, so I didn't want or need anything too cutting edge. I have also run an iMac off a Mint jump drive, but for day-to-day stuff, that may not be practical.

Have you done a Google search for Linux drivers for your WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes so far no joy. But I'm optimistic or crazy your pick. :-)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Well, I say, "go for it." I have been very happy to get off the Windows upgrade merry-go-round. I have a couple of Widows 7 machines and the Microsoft gods are ceasing support this summer. I get it as a business decision, but from the consumer end it's just awful. I voted with my dollars.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
yeah, my 'problem' probably comes from buying the hardware first, before looking at the compatibility then installing Linux mint. My fault for putting the cart before the horse. But eventually it will work out. For now I'm just tethered.
Linux was something I've wanted to do for a while now and when I got the new hardware I just 'snapped' Hey let's try Linux... LOL
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm in the mist of doing the same thing, going to Linux mint, for the last 2 years windows 10 pro on this machine has been a nightmare, was fine with Windows XP and 7, every time l would get an update it wouldn't work right, incomplete things? Windows not working right?

l Just did the other day a complete windows 10 pro install flashed the hard drive clean, took what l wanted from the hard drive with the help of a friend, now l have the latest 10 pro. which is a joke, reinstalled my pictures and music and I'm told your OneDrive is full? l need more space? my PC hard drive is 1 TB? and 8 GB Ram?

l think my pictures went somewhere else, they weren't in my hard drive, went to utube and found a fix uninstall One Drive and l think the other was One Note, fund a setting and click on make sure all files l installed goes into this PC hard drive and know were else.

You have no more privacy with Windows 10. Microsoft wants you to run your PC like I-phone or tablet.

My friend put in a second 1 TB hard drive in my PC with Lunix mint that he had working in his PC but it wouldn't boot up in mine, i'm sure he will get it up and running, might have to do Linux install using my PC.

My needs are simple pictures/music/and some web sites, my bills are paid by mail.

Toppkatt hope you get it up and running. Hopefully so will l.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 AM
gastooon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have linux too and it works better than windows sometimes. I want to create pnline business and few online stores. So I am looking for different information about web dveloping and read article about outsourcing on https://spdload.com/blog/how-to-outs...b-development/ and want to use outsourcing for my future projects

Last edited by gastooon; 03-06-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Last month I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint onto an older Gateway laptop my daughter outgrew. The installation was pretty easy and has breathed life into an older piece of gear. The Mint OS is snappy and lean compared to the abilities of the hardware, boots quickly, and serves well on a machine that is essentially an internet device. My work and other hobbies require that I run Word and Photoshop/Lightroom, so my desktop machine runs Windows 7, with a switch to Windows 10 at some point soon.

Mint does not require that you know Linux well, and comes with shareware for pretty much anything you want to do. It sussed out the drivers needed on my "new" Gateway, found my WiFi, and got me online pretty painlessly.

It's a no brainier for me. I like it so well I am considering a donation to the group responsible for it's coding and maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 AM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
As of last year, almost this time l was having problems with Windows 10 and it hasn't let me down still having the same problems now it's fine boot time 30 40 seconds compared to almost 2 minutes with a new update, you can get around a new update if you don't update cant turn off your computer, next update it starts all over again crashes on startup or freezes have to live with is for about a week or so.

My questions to those that are ushing LINUX l use Windows media player for storing my music and listening to it use pictures for storing pictures l do no office work with it l do use spell check or Grammarly and some time speech to text to help me along, us Firefox and chrome as my Browers l have simple needs. Speech to text is not working now because of the last update what else is new, so l will be looking into LINUX l have a spare new hard drive 1 TB or should l be looking into an SSD drive.

Let me know if LINUX will fill my needs l want a simple operating system don't want to play around in the bias in my PC

Which LINUX should l use? simpler the better.

I will do some youtube later.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I don't know about speech to text, or specific programs like Grammerly. But wordpocessing with spell check is handled by OpenOffice, which reads and writes Word files, pictures and music files are no problem. Firefox and Chrome both have Linux versions. I use Firefox for most everything.

Linux Mint v.19 is what worked for me. I followed the instructions in a YouTube video and put the OS on an SSD drive. Bootup is about 10 seconds.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:39 AM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Did you install LUNIX MINT 19 using a USB jump drive and did you also install GIMP will be looking into an SSD drive gonna check with best buys I don't think l need one TB bite 500 gigabytes should do fine being there is not much to the operating system compared to Windows 10.
Music files and pictures do take up some space what is used new on my PC
Total used space without operating system my stuff 36 GB pictures music and downloads.
Total with the operating system and my stuff 70 GB
Free space left on hard drive---------------- -------- 930GB
500 GB should be fine?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Yes, to the first. Installed on a factory fresh SSD from a thumb drive. I used a modest sized SSD drive. 80 GB? Gimp runs no problem, but can take some getting used to if Photoshop is what you're used to.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:39 PM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread got me motivated to install Mint to dual boot with Win10 on one of my computers. It has certainly gotten easier than it used to be.