Offhand Handgun Matches Scores and Discussion - Page 16 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:40 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
I mean, the model b does have fixed sights. Can’t say I’m familiar with the phrase point of impact in this context
Exactly that. Point of (shots) impact. With fixed sights the tendency of most is to keep aiming where they have been aiming for best scores/shots. If the ammo change made your impacts on the target higher/lower/left/right you might have to change your point of aim for that ammo.

Though things spread out more at 25 yards vs closer, often it's more obvious if you shoot more shots on a single target.

Take a look at your targets and look at the group sizes vs actual scores. If your groups are about the same size, chances are the ammo is altering the point of impact vs your same sight picture. If the group size is larger with the CCI, chances are it is less consistent than the other.

In short, if you shoot a tight group, you can adjust your point of aim to suit, just as you would adjust the sights on a pistol that had adjustable sights.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
***10-Yd IRONS ENTRY***
6/5/2021
SCORE: 229-5x
NAME: Mike3838
Age 61
GUN: Ruger MkII 22/45
AMMO: Fiocchi SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 45-2, 46-1, 47-2, 48-0, 43-0

Best target attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June10yards.jpg (468.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:20 AM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Exactly that. Point of (shots) impact. With fixed sights the tendency of most is to keep aiming where they have been aiming for best scores/shots. If the ammo change made your impacts on the target higher/lower/left/right you might have to change your point of aim for that ammo.

Though things spread out more at 25 yards vs closer, often it's more obvious if you shoot more shots on a single target.

Take a look at your targets and look at the group sizes vs actual scores. If your groups are about the same size, chances are the ammo is altering the point of impact vs your same sight picture. If the group size is larger with the CCI, chances are it is less consistent than the other.

In short, if you shoot a tight group, you can adjust your point of aim to suit, just as you would adjust the sights on a pistol that had adjustable sights.
Yeah, it was a wider spread in general for the CCI, had 4 in the 5 and 6 rings vs 0 for the TAC22.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First time shooting these matches. Hopefully I'll improve some.

Thanks for the targets Ynned.

***10-Yd SCOPED ENTRY*** , 6-11 21
SCORE: 220-1X
NAME: Hawkeye57, 64
GUN: Ruger Mark IV, VQ trigger kit, Home made grips.
GUN SETUP: Burris Fastfire 3 , Weigand mount
AMMO: Aquila sub sonic 40gr
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 46 , 46-1X , 43 , 42 , 43
NOTES: Overcast , mid 60's no wind.

Best and worst target all in one.

Can I also shoot a 15 and 25 yard target with the same gun for this month, or is the gun limited to only one match per month ?

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 06-12-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: cheated myself out of 2 points, fixed it,
Old 06-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hawkeye57,

You can shoot the other distances as well, with the same or different pistols. You can even work on your 10 yard score more. I think it was decided that we can enter at least 2 scores per distance per month, but possibly more.

It's more about having some fun, seeing what we can do and where we can improve personally. Great to see someone else joining the mix. Most of us have little hope in competing with the top shooters, but it gives us something to strive for at least. They were probably in the same boat at some point. Besides, I want to give them all a false sense of security before I beat their scores up too much!

Nice looking pistol you have there. Did you use your custom brass diverter for the offhand shooting?
Old 06-12-2021, 06:36 AM
Ynned

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Hawkeye57,

You can shoot the other distances as well, with the same or different pistols. You can even work on your 10 yard score more. I think it was decided that we can enter at least 2 scores per distance per month, but possibly more.

It's more about having some fun, seeing what we can do and where we can improve personally. Great to see someone else joining the mix. Most of us have little hope in competing with the top shooters, but it gives us something to strive for at least. They were probably in the same boat at some point. Besides, I want to give them all a false sense of security before I beat their scores up too much!

Nice looking pistol you have there. Did you use your custom brass diverter for the offhand shooting?
We ended up that you can shoot as much as you want, as often as you want, with as many guns as you want, but only the high score for each match will be posted, not the high score for each gun. IOW, if you shoot a 220 with another gun, only the 220 will be posted on the scoreboard. Bob is, however, playing around with sorting the scores out in different ways, so he may surprise us with something.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Emagcon
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool 15 yds Iron sights

6-12-21
Show Low, AZ
216-1x, Ed Magnusen 75
S&W K22, original sights
43,45, 46-1x,42, 40 =216-1x
Sun from 9 o’clock, wind from 4 o’clock 93 degrees

Shooting at 6,000 elevation different from Tucson. Shot at Second Knoll Range in Show Low, AZ.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:42 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Hawkeye57,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynned View Post
We ended up that you can shoot as much as you want, as often as you want, with as many guns as you want, but only the high score for each match will be posted, not the high score for each gun. IOW, if you shoot a 220 with another gun, only the 220 will be posted on the scoreboard. Bob is, however, playing around with sorting the scores out in different ways, so he may surprise us with something.
Thanks guys.

The brass eating pup has a underground fence, and can only get to it from 25 yards and further, When I step closer to the target I don't need the diverter for easy pickup.

I looked at my entry post, and noticed I scored the right target as a 41, and those holes didn't add up. I fixed it, and gained 2 points.

In case anyone is wondering about the brass diverter Sighnmaster likes.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:42 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynned View Post
Keeping track of all the different pistols and high scores would make my eyes cross!

For now I'm just hoping I can keep track of the shooters high and average scores and such. Hopefully they will know which ones shoot good and which ones don't.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:51 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emagcon View Post
6-12-21
Show Low, AZ
216-1x, Ed Magnusen 75
S&W K22, original sights
43,45, 46-1x,42, 40 =216-1x
Sun from 9 o’clock, wind from 4 o’clock 93 degrees

Shooting at 6,000 elevation different from Tucson. Shot at Second Knoll Range in Show Low, AZ.
That's a good bump in your score. Must have been the thinner air!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:20 PM
tominboise
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
***15-Yd IRONS ENTRY***
6/14/2021
SCORE: 186-1X
NAME: tominboise (Tom)
Age 61
GUN: Browning Buckmark
AMMO: CMP Olin Bulk
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 29-0X, 33-0X, 39-0X, 43-1X, 42-0X

The first bull was beautiful - if I could have just centered it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1646.jpg (492.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:42 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Tom,

That top group is a beauty. I've shot worse than that with a rifle.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Tom,

That top group is a beauty. I've shot worse than that with a rifle.
You're not kidding there. I was pretty surprised when I walked out and saw that group. Probably never repeat that one....
Old 06-19-2021, 10:37 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
***15-Yd IRONS ENTRY***
6/19/2021
SCORE: 210-1x
NAME: Mike3838
Age 61
GUN: Ruger Single Six Revolver
AMMO: SK Pistol Match
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 44-0, 45-0, 41-0, 39-1, 41-0

Best target attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15ydjune21.jpg (489.2 KB, 1 views)