Early Model 57-M, which bases are these? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:30 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)

The dovetail is the same, so the rimfire rings will work but will leave a gap in the shoulders. Not the end of the world, but if I owned that nice rifle with those bases, I would definitely go with the nicer centerfire rings. As mentioned, the centerfire rings have separate clamping systems for attaching the rings to the base and the rings to the scope.

TBR
Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 PM
Wagner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
There are no “rimfire” Talley rings for cooper..they never made a dovetail on their receivers. So forget rimfire.
All coopers are drilled and tapped in 2 variations. Bases will be ordered for a 21,36,38,51 and 57 or 16,22,52,54,56 and 92. All fixed Talley rings fit their bases.

Last edited by Wagner; 02-18-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:18 PM
gr8smiles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Thanks for all the info and the nice words, yes it’s a beautiful rifle. I’ve ordered the rings I need and a scope is also inbound.

I have 2 JSR Coopers that have the same scope. It looks good and they shoot ‘lights out’ with it. Also have a KoA Kimber 22 Super America that wears that scope as well. It too shoots better than I.

I measured the bases and they were 3/4” plus just a wee bit, so the rings that I ordered should be perfect.

I have a KoO Kimber with a Leupold 2x12 and I do like the scopes with more mag.

Even today, I defended my bird feeders against the hordes of angry starlings and grackles. Using the Cooper JSR with the 6.5x20, I was able to thin the blackbird herd by a 17 birds today ranging from 20 yards out to about 75. Having a suppressor on the JSR definitely helped

I’ll post a few pics of the original rifle next week when I get all the parts in and assembled.

Rick
Old 02-18-2021, 10:27 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
There are no “rimfire” Talley rings for cooper..they never made a dovetail on their receivers. So forget rimfire.
All coopers are drilled and tapped in 2 variations. Bases will be ordered for a 21,36,38,51 and 57 or 16,22,52,54,56 and 92. All fixed Talley rings fit their bases.
There’s no reason to forget Talley rimfire rings, especially if one likes the trimmer look, the weight savings of the aluminum rimfire rings, or the lower cost. No one said Talley made rimfire rings specifically for the Cooper 57M, but Talley certainly makes rimfire rings that will work on its Cooper bases. Was there ever a .600” base by Talley? Maybe, maybe not, but I have a couple of sets on some of my rifles. I admit its possible the bases were made by someone else, since they’re not marked “Talley”, but neither are the Talley bases, which is why the OP was asking. But the more important point is I agree the centerfire rings look better and would be a better match for that rifle.
TBR
Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500X View Post
Where I live if you don't put snow tires on your Ferrari you either park it for 40% of the year or you're stuck. I used to have a neighbor that had a Porsche. He refused to put snow tires on it and eventually I refused to go out and push him out of his driveway. However, that meant I had to listen to him spin his wheels for an hour or so.
It happened again last Sat. It had snowed the day before and I went off to the club to shoot some skeet. One of the members had just bought a new Toyota Supra last fall and showed up to shoot. He couldn't make it up the grade of the club's driveway. He got it sideways and stuck in the snowbank. Shooters stacked up behind him. They pushed him out and he had to park it down by the town road. Those of us with our boring SUVs had to ferry him and his gear back and forth. I suggested snow tires instead of the performance tires he had might be better in the winter. I will say that car looked good parked by the side of the town road.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A gorgeous Cooper !!! At first , I thought that those bases might be the old "Warne Premier" bases ; which , of course , required Warne Premier rings . The 2 Coopers that I once owned ; a Model 36 Custom & a 36 Custom Classic ; both had the Premier bases & rings . They were very similar to the Talley bases , though I believe they were made quite some time before the Talleys came out .

Last edited by Savagenut; 06-05-2021 at 02:06 PM.