Misfires with 22 Mag ammo - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Awwww, BG.....what happened to y'er sense of humor?
I know you have one, I've seen it in use, been on the receiving end, did you lose it?

My posts have no credibility? Interesting.
Instead of bragging about how great my results are
and stroking my own ego based on a couple of wallet groups,
I post what actually happens with the entire box and include chronograph numbers.
I spend the morning at the range and shoot a full box of 50, don't you?
Why hide the facts when they're all right there on the target and chrony display?
I don't pretend I can make the current production of 22wmr better than it is.
It'd be a bit lacking in the truth department, easily proven by anyone who is willing to make the effort.
Folks might think I was another 5 shot wonder, claiming "all day long", when it was blatantly untrue.

Still, I did give ya'll a year to prove me wrong about the quality of the current production of 22wmr ammo,
but no one took me up on it. Wonder why, eh?

That's ok, BG. Everyone is allowed their opinion.
Mine is just as valid as y'ers. One difference though,
I show all my results, not just those cherry picked random acts of accuracy.
I'm unwilling to have folks think I can make hunting ammo better than it is.

If you don't find my posts factual, useful, or at least entertaining, ignore 'em.
Y'er choice.

Last edited by jaia; 09-13-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've edited my previous post for the benefit of those whose reading comprehension skills are lacking.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Howler
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Awwww, BG.....what happened to y'er sense of humor?
I know you have one, I've seen it in use, been on the receiving end, did you lose it?

My posts have no credibility? Interesting.
Instead of bragging about how great my results are
and stroking my own ego based on a couple of wallet groups,
I post what actually happens with the entire box and include chronograph numbers.
I spend the morning at the range and shoot a full box of 50, don't you?
Why hide the facts when they're all right there on the target and chrony display?
I don't pretend I can make the current production of 22wmr better than it is.
It'd be a bit lacking in the truth department, easily proven by anyone who is willing to make the effort.
Folks might think I was another 5 shot wonder, claiming "all day long", when it was blatantly untrue.

Still, I did give ya'll a year to prove me wrong about the quality of the current production of 22wmr ammo,
but no one took me up on it. Wonder why, eh?

That's ok, BG. Everyone is allowed their opinion.
Mine is just as valid as y'ers. One difference though,
I show all my results, not just those cherry picked random acts of accuracy.
I'm unwilling to have folks think I can make hunting ammo better than it is.

If you don't find my posts factual, useful, or at least entertaining, ignore 'em.
Y'er choice.
No offence intended, but shooting a 22 mag @ 200yrds & expecting to gain any knowledge is ridiculouse! You do know these bullets have a bc only slightly better than a rock right? BTW, I don't "pretend" I can make better ammo, I have already! I simply have nothing to prove to you!! You just spin yarn over & over & over..
Old 09-14-2019, 02:27 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Comments read and understood.
Nothing further to add.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM
smokefrog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You continue to provide the most valuable 22 wmr data available on this site jaia, don't stop sharing just because people get upset over someone being transparent and presenting data.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:53 AM
mudgripz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornady V-Max misfires

Hmmm... bought a new box of the 30gr 22WMR Hornady and 2-3 misfires from 33 rounds fired on a shoot last night. Cartridge I found showed good pin strike, and the the rifle (Marlin 982 heavy barrel) normally 100%. Accuracy is outstanding and both rifle and action always run very clean.

Perplexing... I will pull buy another 50 packet and see if it recurs. If so will pull FTF cartridge apart to see if primer gel consistent around rim. Have noted inconsistent gel before in odd FTF 22 rounds. If still no result will get action/pin/headspace checked by gunsmith mate. Doubt its the rifle however as it has been perfect up to that particular ammo batch..
Old 01-06-2021, 03:49 PM
mudgripz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back to the range with more Hornady 30gr V-Max 22WMR for further testing after misfires on recent shoot. On this visit I put about 30 rounds thru rifle with no misfires. Marlin 982 heavy barrel WMR extremely accurate - better than I am with easy 0.7" group at 100 meters. Capable of 0.5" with more practice.

I disassembled bolt after recent Hornady misfires and found bolt components and firing pin/channel very clean. Not a dirt buildup issue. I then pulled apart a V-Max cartridge which had failed to fire last time. It showed good strong pin strike on outer rim, it had no loose primer gel in amongst powder, and a clear line of green primer remained around inside rim after pin strike. I cannot see why this round did not fire.

In sum - the Hornady V-Max is a very accurate high performance WMR round. It does appear to run somewhat dirty - needing regular copper cleansing to ensure sustained accuracy. There are also issues with occasional misfires - not uncommon - but reason is unknown. Could be a primer gel composition issue, could be a pin strike position issue from some makes of rifles - hard to tell. Or could simply have been a bad batch of ammunition - happens to many manufacturers over time.

Worth continuing the V-Max experiment but if it happens again - say more than 1 in 100 - then I might try the CCI high performance round. If, that is, it is made at a different manufacturing plant?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:05 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a lousy shooting High Standard, police style, snubby. It always fires though. A few yrs back I tried a box of Aquila. First shot, bullseye than a bad round and,`I think, my only bad .22 mag round ever.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:38 AM
Edcnh

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have also been experiencing misfires in my Marlin 983S bolt action rifle. If I I try firing a second time with the firing pin mark at approximately 6 o’clock in the chamber most rounds will fire. As someone already stated the primer is not uniformly distributed around the rim. I have been using Federal Champion 40gr 22 magnum ammunition.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:07 AM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my first .22 WMR in 1990 and have been using ammunition manufactured in the late ‘80’s through last year from most manufacturers. I have NEVER had a .22 WMR round fail to fire in four different firearms.

Now .22 LR is a different story...I’ve had FTFs from most manufacturers in probably every .22 LR Ive owned. That would mean over two dozen different firearms over 40+ years. Not to mention, all the issues Ive seen at ranges over the decades with .22LR.

Does the quality of ammo make a difference?

IMO, yes! I dont buy much high quality .22LR AMMO, but the little I do, Ive had little to no problem with. The cheaper the ammo, the more likely I have more issues.

I havent seem the same correlation with .22WMR as there is no real “cheap” .22WMR in my experience, its usually more expensive than high quality .22LR.

YMMV!