Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Sarah93003
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1947 HD Military-Stainless

I have a 1976 "The Victor" that I absolutely love shooting. Today while visiting a local gun shop I spotted a stainless Hi Standard HD Military model. According to the serial number it would be a 1947 vintage. This pistol has Franzite grips on it that I assume were changed out at some point making it not totally original.

I love vintage guns but am not a collector. I shoot everything I own including my 1907 Colt revolver.

This pistol is for sale for $600 which seem reasonable with the extra mag. It is the first stainless Hi Standard I have seen and the thing looks to be in mint condition. Having never shot an HD Military I would love any input as compared to my Victor.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HD Military

The HD was never mfgd in Stainless Steel. I beleive that pistol has Chrome Plating
- Alan Aronstein
Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 PM
SGVictor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah93003 View Post
I have a 1976 "The Victor" that I absolutely love shooting. Today while visiting a local gun shop I spotted a stainless Hi Standard HD Military model. According to the serial number it would be a 1947 vintage. This pistol has Franzite grips on it that I assume were changed out at some point making it not totally original.

I love vintage guns but am not a collector. I shoot everything I own including my 1907 Colt revolver.

This pistol is for sale for $600 which seem reasonable with the extra mag. It is the first stainless Hi Standard I have seen and the thing looks to be in mint condition. Having never shot an HD Military I would love any input as compared to my Victor.

This is not stainless. High Standard made no stainless guns. This is likely a nickel plated gun and High Standard made no nickel plated production guns until the Sport King Lightweight in the mid 1950's thus this plating is after leaving the factory. The grips and finish are not factory original.

This is not a 1947 gun. The highest serial number I have found for 1947 is 233,204 and the highest for 1948 is 301,349. This is probably a July 1948 pistol. You are probably using one of my charts incorrectly.

I don't know that collecting guns and shooting guns are mutually exclusive. I like shooting the slant grip pistols so I shoot slant grip Victors which are considered very collectible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The value of any Hi Std gun is set by collectors. They want original guns in pristine condition, preferably of a rare nature. They set the prices. After market nickel plating destroys the collector value. But shooters don't care about any of that. They just want excellent shooters in reasonable condition.

That gun in collector condition might sell for the marked price or more but I would think half of that for this plated gun IF it has a good bore and no wear on mating surfaces or no frame crack.

Sorry but that is the state of Hi Std pricing as controlled by collectors like SGVictor. Its their world for Hi Std guns and just allow us the crums, so to speak, unless we want to pay big time.

The best value for a shooter is the East Hartford Connecticut ML series guns because the collectors think less of them than the Hamden Connecticut guns. The very last Houston Texas guns (stainless frames) are excellent shooters and usually are priced well. Collector shun them. The Mitchells and Stoeger Stainless clones are shunned by all, it seems.

LDBennett
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting the serial numbers, SGVictor. The stainless HD-M is what brought me to this thread as I didn't think that model was ever made in stainless. My dad bought an HD-M when I was a kid and that what I learned to shoot a pistol with. I was with him during the purchase but cannot remember my age. I still have that pistol but have never done any research on it. If you don't mind answering a question I have one. Was the pistol ever offered with other than one barrel length? I have never seen them except one length. I have seen very few for sale but they are always expensive and pretty beat up. The last one I ran across at a local gun show was a rag and priced at $850. The one pictured appears to have a shorter barrel than I have seen.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was another one with a 6 3/4 inch barrel.
Regards, Nicioli
Old 10-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Sarah93003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you everyone for you input and responses. I don't know if it is chrome or nickel plating. I'm assuming chrome would be shinier so perhaps its nickel. From the responses it seems to be priced considerably too high. I'll look at it again more critically.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:11 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah93003 View Post
Thank you everyone for you input and responses. I don't know if it is chrome or nickel plating. I'm assuming chrome would be shinier so perhaps its nickel. From the responses it seems to be priced considerably too high. I'll look at it again more critically.
The MODEL H-D MILITARY had the third highest production numbers of any High Standard pistols at about 143,000 being produced The Sport King was second highest at about 216,000 and the Dura-Matic and Sears variants had the highest production numbers is over 225,000.

This is a very popular High Standard pistol today and the current pricing for this model in my opinion is a bit high since there are so many survivors in good condition that it greatly exceeds the number of true collectors.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SGVictor, Would you mind posting some numbers for earlier year serial numbers? I just got mine out of the safe and it's serial number is quite a bit lower than the upper number you posted for the 1947 year. I can remember that it wasn't long after WWII was over that my dad bought the pistol. I just don't remember how long. He bought it at a hardware store that was going out of business due to a fire. Age has a way of deleting details of long ago.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:22 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
SGVictor, Would you mind posting some numbers for earlier year serial numbers? I just got mine out of the safe and it's serial number is quite a bit lower than the upper number you posted for the 1947 year. I can remember that it wasn't long after WWII was over that my dad bought the pistol. I just don't remember how long. He bought it at a hardware store that was going out of business due to a fire. Age has a way of deleting details of long ago.
At best these numbers will allow an accurate answer in 96% to 98% of the serial numbers since High Standard did not complete guns or ship guns in serial number order.

My highest number for 1945 is 147,773 and for 1946 is 174,194. The late 1945 and early 1946 are especially bad for the serial number vs date shipped chartsbeinbg accurate for that reason.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. From your numbers mine would appear to be an early 1947 gun.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, the H-D might not be factory original, but I still think it's a lovely thing to own.
Collectors who pursue examples to represent the history of a company won't be interested, of course.
But it's still something someone lavished time and money on to make it something a bit more unique.
And those Franzite grips? They're pretty cool against that plated finish. Very BladeRunner!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the pistol seems to function properly I would be tempted to put an offer on it, it is quite attractive and seems to be in good condition.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Sarah93003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to look at it again. I'm looking for a "shooter" for my son and perhaps this is a good choice. I'll see if they will entertain an offer.