Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 AM
JerryP
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (109)
Anschutz 54.30

Could I please have comments on the 54.30.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is your planned use? This will enable a better perspective for answering.
Regards
ken
Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 AM
JerryP

TPC Rating: 
100% (109)
I was considering their bench rest model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the 54.30 was introduced, the following details were given:

- Basis for the new rifle is the well known and reliable ANSCHÜTZ Match 54 action.
- The loading port was moved 30mm rewards and was reduced in size by 18%.
- These changes increases the stiffness of the receiver.
- The closer location of the loading port allows for less movement when in position and an overall improvment in shooter ergonomics.
- To accomodate the closer location of the loading port, the bolt and the firing pin were reduced in length by 30mm.
- The weight of the firing pin was also reduced, thus resulting in velocity increase of the firing pin and a shorter lock-time.
- The overall accuracy has been improved by a newly designed ANSCHÜTZ Match chamber.
- Unlike match actions in the past, the new Match 54.30 features a threaded receiver and barrel connection. This change removes stresses in the chamber area and further increases accuracy.
- The new Match 54.30 can be installed into all available stocks which fit with the ANSCHÜTZ round match actions such as the 1907 or 1913.

See https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...80&postcount=1

As noted above, the 54.30 uses the same stocks as the 19xx models. The 54.30 barrel is similar to the xx07 profile in terms of length (660mm) and diameter (22mm). By comparison the xx13 barrel profile is 690mm long and 24mm in diameter. The 54.30 barrel is not dovetailed for a front sight and should come with a barrel extension for mounting such a sight.

The 54.30 bolt is shorter than the 54 match bolt and the barrel is not pressed and pinned like the match 54 barrels. And it is not clamped like the 20xx barrels. It is threaded to the action.

My 54.30 was shot as seen in the picture above. As noted above, the stock is the same as for other round 54 match barreled actions (Anschutz makes a stock for the square 20xx barreled actions).
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 AM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JerryP
In short, the 54.30 Anschutz BR rifles are ok and best suited for beginner to intermediate level competition. If you are really interested in hard core paper punching or you are a true accuracy junky, the 54.30 is not the best choice.

I checked and going price is around $3,775.

If you are interested in top accuracy, I would go one of two routes: (1) purchase an existing rig from a noted BR gunsmith or (2) go custom.

If you attend BR matches, it is typical that there are rifles for sale. In many instances, the sellers will let you shoot it before purchase. (If they are not willing, that would be a "walk away" flag to me, but others may feel differently.)

Taking 5 minutes, I went to the KSS site and priced out a custom rig:
-stiller 2500 action: $1400
-shilen barrel: $300
-trigger (top of line): $400
-stock (bare): $600
-bedding: $250
-gunsmith metal work: $600

At the end of the day, you can go with immediate mid-grade gratification with the Anschutz or for the same price - but longer wait - go full custom build.

Accuracy wise, you will have a much better chance going custom with all top components vs off the shelf Anschutz. Can there be a great Anschutz out there that shoots lights out? Yes, but again it's pick of the litter. Going w/ a custom SB rifle gunsmith will give a significantly better chance for top accuracy out of the gate.

With all of that said, in full disclosure my full experience with Anschutz rifles is in the prone and 3-position world with over 35 years of competitive experience. For the past 5-6 years, Anschutz is not usually in the top 3 or 5 finishers at world cup level matches. The 54.30 was a half hearted stop gap to try to keep up with Walther, Blinker and G&E and Anschutz still falls short.

I hope this is of assistance. I guess overall it boils down to how serious you are regarding top flight accuracy and how quickly you want a new rifle.
Best Regards,
ken
Old 03-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

This is my 54.30. I can only say that it is extremely accurate and a pure joy to shoot. Of course to shoot it I use a real front rest ( 3 inch pad ). This one is just for the picture.

Gilbert
Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 PM
JerryP

TPC Rating: 
100% (109)
Thanks for the replies. You have been of immense help.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1813benny makes a good point about the difference between a custom rifle and the Anschutz. For those shooters with relatively easy access to custom rifle parts including action and barrel and quality gunsmiths to put everything together, the custom route is often preferable.

For the rest, those who don't have easy access to custom actions and barrels and for whom trusted gunsmiths are not easy to find, the choice of an off-the-shelf rifle is often the most sensible route. Anschutz rifles are the only choice for many shooters who wish to have a .22LR benchrest rifle in circumstances where custom parts and smiths are not always available.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with Glenn. Gunsmith that specialize in .22lr precision BR rifles are, to my knowledge, almost inexistant here in Canada. We have a few outstanding smiths that excel in building high end centerfire rigs but, as I understand it, rimfire is quite different.

Gilbert
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM
jga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz 54.30

Hi y'all, good advice from all who have posted. I bought a barreled action in 2016 and made a laminated stock for it. Is it any good.Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1166.jpg (273.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1222.jpg (240.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1220.jpg (296.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1219.jpg (307.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 AM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure you've read all the 54.30 articles about how it's an improvement over the standard 54 action.

If you are considering a 54.30 in a BR50 stock, why not go an extra "few hundred dollars" and get one from the Anschutz North America Custom Shop?

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com...st-rifles.html

(They don't seem to have any rifles for sale now, only a left-hand 54)

The Custom Shop fine tunes the trigger, bolt, action, etc...... epoxy bedding the Kelbly BRFB (benchrest model), sometimes putting on a Lilja or Shilen barrel, and test firing the rifle for function and accuracy.

You have to constantly watch this section to see what's offered......

I have a 54.30 in a Kelbly BRFB stock from the Custom Shop: epoxy bedded, tuned bolt/action, 5018 2-stage trigger configured to single-stage, SS HB Shilen 4R 24" barrel, and just so close to rifle perfection as can be.

I also have two 54.18 BR50 repeater rifles built by the Custom Shop that are forever keepers, both being fine-tuned as described above.

I never wonder about whether these rifles are off-kilter... if there's any problem, then it's probably me.....

Last edited by esk808; 04-01-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM
jga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi esk808, has your barrel got the floating chamber or was it fitted the normal way?Scott
Old 03-31-2020, 03:33 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jga View Post
Hi esk808, has your barrel got the floating chamber or was it fitted the normal way?Scott
I think it was fitted in the normal way. The Custom Shop uses its own chamber reamer to make it "match" tight. CCI SV 40gr cartridges are too big and will not chamber in all 4 of my Custom Shop rifles...........
Old 03-31-2020, 03:51 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I agree with what has been said thus far but will add one other observation. I would personally go the custom (or used custom) route almost every time, as the action is better (assuming Turbo, Stiller, etc.), the stock will be better, the barrel will probably be better, you can chose your chamber dimensions, and you can name your trigger, but, unless you happen upon a Calfee-built rifle, the Anschutz might be the better investment, with respect to holding its value in the future...the old all original vs resto-mod argument. Many really want all original rifles, and an original will probably be easier to sell, as well.

Just more food for thought.

TBR
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jga View Post
jga,

Take a look at Anshutz's Instagram site. There are a few 54.30s in a Kelbly BRFB stock. Mine is the gray/black/red Kelbly stocked 54.30 which is way down...

https://www.instagram.com/anschutznorthamerica/