Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Rimfireshooter99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley Ammo

I read an article recently that described Eley Club as basically rounds that did not meet the Tenex specs, from the Tenex manufacturing line.

Does anyone know the source of Eley Match and Team? Or better, is there an article someone can point me to that describes their manufacturing process?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:20 PM
1813benny
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley Tenex and Match are off of the same manufacturing line, with Match being the lots that don't make the QC cutoff.

Club is not from the Tenex production line.
Regards,
ken
Old 12-31-2019, 02:22 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some Match started life as Tenex, but didn't make the cut; these batches share the same product code in the serial number (10 or 11*). Other lots of Match are made as Match and have a different product code. All my recent lots of Team have another product code (16), and aren't listed on the lot analyser. I suspect some are down graded Match/Tenex.

*Sorry can't remember which is which, you'd think Tenex is 10, but it's early, a two year old is shouting at me, and I've had no tea yet.

Last edited by tim slater; 12-31-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 07:23 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The match ammo makers are not known for revealing much about their manufacturing processes as they include proprietary information and top secrets for which mere mortals cannot get clearance. As a result, shooters must rely on what they tell us and bits and pieces of information from people who are familiar with what goes into manufacturing the ammo.

For further information about Eley ammo, see https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...novation/99080 and https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...y_101405/99277
Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 AM
horseman2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley Tenex, Match and Team are produced on six production lines.
A lot starts with a billet of lead and that billet will produce 30 to 35 thousand rounds.
That lot is tested in four rifles and if all four like that lot it becomes Tenex; if only three rifles meet the testing standard it is Match. At one time the "rejects" were marketed at Team but it no longer appears to be marketed so perhaps the testing protocol has changed.
Regardless what it is called does not mean your rifle will like it so the testing procedure is left to the shooter.
The velocity published on the box is determined at the testing phase. The lowest I have tested was 1046 (Team) and the highest 1085 (Match).
Tenex tested showed great promise but failed to deliver on "Game Day".
Critical testing is the answer. Testing is near useless it your source can not supply case lots once the best is determined.
I currently have three rifles that have a preference to a lot and my stores sit at something over a case.
When someone says they have always had good results with ammo from production line 6 the question that comes to mind is . . . how many times has that line been retooled? Another secret Eley holds close to their chest.
Just one persons opinion . . . and that still does not make it right!

Last edited by horseman2; 12-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 AM
strowbridge
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley ammo

Tenex 1077 FPS and match 1077fps shoots best in my BSA mkiii. I donít mean to hyjack this question. My question is would Team 1077 also shoot to Tenex 1077 and Match 1077 point of impact at 100yds?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:59 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strowbridge View Post
Tenex 1077 FPS and match 1077fps shoots best in my BSA mkiii. I donít mean to hyjack this question. My question is would Team 1077 also shoot to Tenex 1077 and Match 1077 point of impact at 100yds?
Broadly, although since the published MV is an average taken from four test barrels*, the velocity might be higher or lower than either your Tenex or Match. It may only be a coincidence that the Match and Tenex have the same nominal velocity.

*All certainly a few in shorter than the 29in of a standard Mk III.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 PM
strowbridge
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley ammo

My BSA Mkiii is one of MT guns. Has really been gone thru and has a 26Ē Benchmark barrell. I shoot the 100yd benchrest Schutzen ASSRA target with 3/4Ē 25 point bull.
Last match 40 shots 989 score in 7 to 15 mpr gusts shifting S, SW, NW and W.
Amarillo rifle and pistol club range.