Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:36 PM
arnie19
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
High end rim fire ammo

Is there any one that keeps a list of sellers of high end rim fire ammo like Eley ,SK , Lapua etc. ? I know i saw one where they would sell ammo by lot number .They must have a big storage area for all the different lots they have for each different maker .
Old 12-25-2019, 02:48 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie19 View Post
Is there any one that keeps a list of sellers of high end rim fire ammo like Eley ,SK , Lapua etc. ? I know i saw one where they would sell ammo by lot number .They must have a big storage area for all the different lots they have for each different maker .
Most of the retail dealers, (example - Goodshooting.com) have a list of what's available from wholesalers, (example -Zanders Sporting Goods). You order a specific lot # from your dealer and it is drop shipped from the wholesaler. The retailer never takes possession of the product.

Last edited by elohssa63; 12-25-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:01 PM
kanoradodave

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/

Is your source for eley lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 06:37 PM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What makes you think anybody stocks EVERY lot from EVERY manufacturer?
Old 12-26-2019, 12:29 PM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Cathy (Good Shooting Inc.) also has certain lots in stock at their shop. Just as an example, they have seven different lots of Center-X and five lots of Midas Plus ready to ship.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:22 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
acorneau , thats the one i was looking for ,thanks . Now if they will ship to Commiefornia with the proper licenses i have .Some people will and others wont .

Last edited by arnie19; 12-26-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:35 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie19 View Post
acorneau , thats the one i was looking for ,thanks . Now of they will ship to Commiefornia with the proper licenses i have .Some people will and others wont .
I believe Good Shooting will ship to you if you have a Class 03 FFL.

If you donít have an 03, you can ask them to ship to your local FFL, there are some that will take your delivery at no charge, as long as you pick it up within a week.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:01 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like Champion Choice for high end ammo. I've never asked them for a specific lot numbers however ,I don't see why they wouldn't sell available lot numbers. They have a good inventory and the prices are reasonable.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
I believe Good Shooting will ship to you if you have a Class 03 FFL.

If you donít have an 03, you can ask them to ship to your local FFL, there are some that will take your delivery at no charge, as long as you pick it up within a week.
My local dealer wont receive ammo for any one because of a bad incident with a customer order .Another one about 40 miles from me will but hes retiring and closing the shop .I already have a C&R and only need to get the COE Commiefornia requires so i can order ammo direct but some businesses out there dont want to hassle with this state .
Old 12-29-2019, 12:36 AM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arnie,

I am also in CA.

The Curios & Relics (Class 03 FFL) has been worth the cost for me.

I have received deliveries from both Killough Shooting Sports and Good Shooting Inc.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:43 AM
rflatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
lot numbers

I live near Champions Choice and they will sell available ammo by the lot numbers.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 AM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Arnie,

I am also in CA.

The Curios & Relics (Class 03 FFL) has been worth the cost for me.

I have received deliveries from both Killough Shooting Sports and Good Shooting Inc.
Thank you ,good to know
Old 12-29-2019, 09:28 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karls42 View Post
What makes you think anybody stocks EVERY lot from EVERY manufacturer?
Excellent point. There aren't a lot of cartons in a lot and there are a lot of high end dealers so a lot doesn't go far. Years ago I tested a lot of Eley Match that was unbelievable. I called the dealer trying to buy a case. His answer "Everybody wants that lot". I called every dealer I could think of and they either never had any of that lot or it was already sold.

Now when I order test lots I make sure they have one or two cases before I buy the test boxes.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:05 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Exclamation never underestimate the rim size no matter how insignificant it seems

Please keep in mind that each and every rim fire pistol or rifle requires the correct headspace.

Each ammo brand makes LRs with a slightly different headspace. In LRs that is the rim size: a thin rim will make the bullet jump into the rifling, while a thicker rim will not or it may depending on which rim size (or mark on a gauge, in mm or fractions of an inch) your particular model shoots best, regardless of the ammo cost.

When the bolt is closed all LRs seem the same. They are not. Even cheap ammo like the CCI Blazer may look the same as Federal Champion, but the Blazer has a consistent rim size, from batch to batch and from Lot # to Lot#.

My P22 for instance likes the CCI Blazer rim size for some reason or other.

When I use Federal Champion my shots are all over the place. The rim size of that brand does not suit my handgun, as it is firstly different than that of Blazers and secondly it varies from one bullet to another widely. Rifles are even more fussy than handguns.

And now the funny bit. If I use high end ammo like ELEY Tenex or LAPUA Midas+ that do not match my P22 rim size it prefers, then – regardless of other factors being equal – that ammo will not work.

It has taken me ages to understand this simple fact. My P22 prefers a rim size, say on mark 3 scale found on the Neil Jones .22 caliber rim gauge. Any (I repeat ANY) mark 3 rimmed LR will shoot in the same point of aim (if I do my part of course).

Shooting a different size like mark 6 rimmed LR will throw the shot. A mark 0 (very thick also). A mark 8 or 9 (very thin rim) too. The mark 3 is therefore what I need plus my skills and a properly maintained rimfire weapon.

Obviously I get my best results with those Lot# ELEY, LAPUA, RWS, Geco, and even FEDERAL if their rim size matches my gun perfectly on a box with a specific Lot#, which I may never find again). A mark 3 of any of these will do the job for me. Your milage may vary. You need to find the size that fits each and every rimfire you own before splashing on ammo. Wolf MT for instance shoots great for some reason. In my P22 it does also. Its rim size is mark 3. Bingo! (SK Standard Plus and SK Pistol also work 100% and they are similar to Wolf MT)

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Crete; 12-30-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete View Post
Please keep in mind that each and every rim fire pistol or rifle requires the correct headspace.

Each ammo brand makes LRs with a slightly different headspace. In LRs that is the rim size: a thin rim will make the bullet jump into the rifling, while a thicker rim will not or it may depending on which rim size (or mark on a gauge, in mm or fractions of an inch) your particular model shoots best, regardless of the ammo cost.

And now the funny bit. If I use high end ammo like ELEY Tenex or LAPUA Midas+ that do not match my P22 rim size it prefers, then Ė regardless of other factors being equal Ė that ammo will not work.

It has taken me ages to understand this simple fact. My P22 prefers a rim size, say on mark 3 scale found on the Neil Jones .22 caliber rim gauge. Any (I repeat ANY) mark 3 rimmed LR will shoot in the same point of aim (if I do my part of course).

A mark 3 of any of these will do the job for me. Your milage may vary. You need to find the size that fits each and every rimfire you own before splashing on ammo. Wolf MT for instance shoots great for some reason. In my P22 it does also. Its rim size is mark 3. Bingo! (SK Standard Plus and SK Pistol also work 100% and they are similar to Wolf MT)

Just my two cents.
Thank you for the very informative post- I have now learned my Fact for the Day, and can stop thinking until mid-afternoon.

I am curious regarding your findings for brand/lot versus rim thickness, both the mean value for 50 rounds and the +/- variation (Standard Deviation). Do you have data to share?

I have about 20 bricks of target-grade ammo, and would very much like to repeat your experimentation with my firearms without 'wasting' ammo and range time. In other words, can you help me group my existing ammo by manufacturer headspace?

Also, do you evaluate 'suitable' headspace for a particular firearm/ammo based on group size, extreme spread, muzzle velocity, or standard deviation? What were/are your criteria?

Incidentally, I measure .22LR rim thickness using a caliper and a piece of trimmed .223 Rem brass in good condition (mouth is square and regular). I measure the brass for baseline, drop the LR round into the upright brass, and measure again at 3-4 points around the rim.

Also, I have testing results (SD, ES, MOA, MV) based on 50-round boxes of the ammos mentioned above through my three CZ455's if you are interested. I would be happy to share, and would be very interested to confirm/refute/correlate my findings with your guidance on rim measurement.